My Helmet Re-Do.

TD-5766

Hi all!

I was never really pleased with the weathering of my Helmet.

I needed to tone it down a bit but give it small details.

Believe it or not I used one of my wifes toss away nail files to get rid of the large splotches on the helmet. The file is much finer than sandpaper and causes no damage to your bucket what so ever. (Heck, it's for your wife's nails hehe )

Here is a before picture.

Posted Image

For the detail, I'm a big 40k player, I used citadel inks and dilluted it with water to give some detail to the nooks and crannies of the helmet. I lightly dabbed the ink with a paper towel if there seemed to be to much.

Here are the after pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope it looks all right?

Thanks for looking.

I think it looks better than before, but I'd thin down what's still on there (especially around the mic tips). The weathering looks more like some liquids dripped onto the helmet and then dried. If you can't thin the paints and further, then I'd say give it a really light dusting with some white spray paint, or better yet, use an airbrush. Just tape off the areas that you don't want to get paint on, like the tube stripes and trapazoids, and then remove the parts that can be taken off (brow trim, lenses, mic tips).

I think you'll find the helmet will then look more weathered, as opposed to dirty.

Yea, I was looking at the mic area and I will tone those down too. I can also lightly go over the drip looking parts too.

Before and after.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

But as you all know, "It's always a work in progress." Pictures never really do it justice. Lighting etc.

Good work!

BTW, if you're in to Warhammer 40k, you'll be interested to know that I might tackle a Space Marine Terminator as my next big one-year-long project.

Wow! That is a huge project. I've seen the guys with the Power Armor and would like to do a set of Space Wolves armor. Let me know how that goes? I would love to see the pictures.

Good work!

BTW, if you're in to Warhammer 40k, you'll be interested to know that I might tackle a Space Marine Terminator as my next big one-year-long project.

Scaled down so you can wear it, or full size?

Aye, the Space Marine according to GW fluff is like 7 or 8 feet tall. I can only imagine a Terminator not to mention a Drednaught.

Guess we'll have to start a 40K Armor club next. LOL