tornister (dewback pack) sources?

I've been looking into purchasing a pony fur tornister like what was used on the dewback. So far, the cheapest I've found is around $70. That doesn't seem so bad to me, but I was wondering if any of you knew of specific sources you'd recommend, or even better, any replicas available out there (you know - packs without the mildew stench of the surplus store). I've also considered fabricating my own if I could get measurements from someone.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about (from a current ebay auction):

Posted Image

i´ll try to find them over here in germany as these are german ww2 tornisters as far as i know...

i´d like to get one too!

i´ll let you know as soon as i find a cheaper source!

Just curious and not to derail topic, but would the tornister meet deployment standards? I think it would be a cool alternative to the desert pack. Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere.

Just curious and not to derail topic, but would the tornister meet deployment standards? I think it would be a cool alternative to the desert pack. Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere.

Now that could open a container of long thin wiggly things as IF it is an alternative, then the back pack is now only an option, so why can people not having backpacks not be deployed even though not all ANH TD's had them - visual proof on the original - not SE - version...

If the reply is "Ah well the pack is a definitive part of the TD" then the tornister shouldn't be an option for deployment...

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking it would be a cool accessory to go with a dewback prod. Heyahhh!

After reading this thread, i thought of that idea too....I was wondering if any one had some good close up pics of the dewback saddle and pack...I may be able to make a pattern for one if i had some good pics.

Short Trooper (Diana)

After reading this thread, i thought of that idea too....I was wondering if any one had some good close up pics of the dewback saddle and pack...I may be able to make a pattern for one if i had some good pics.

i doubt doing one from pattern and using the screenused ponyfur will be cheaper than buying a real one, but you asked for reference pictures...

here you go...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

if your searching Ebay, try changing the search options to worldwide.

exspecially here in germany there are tons of ww2 tornisters to find...

• 1 year later...

Hey All,

I don't know if any of you are still looking for one of these but I just saw one on ebay & thought I should let you know.

I think it looks like it might be of some use as a dewback pack at a decent price.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1936-German-Back-Pack-...=item5ad5c37ba7

Hope you & your families all have a safe & happy Holiday season guys!

Luke

TD-7174