2008 Deployed Officer and 501st Legion Standards

TD-1536

Here's the latest. Per Legion Charter, all these standards need to be sent to the new LMO and LCO via email. They will then pass them on to the Legion Counsel (made up of all the Garrison CO and XOs), then the GMLs, and finally the Legion populace. Only THEN, will they be written in stone on the CRL, Costume Resource Library. That will be the defacto list of what is acceptable for Legion and Deployed Status.

I sent these to Legion CO, Mark Fordham and LMO Rhonda this morning via email and will keep you posted.

=========

On 3/26, the following has been changed once again to a requested format for the CRL.

=========

A Sandtrooper must have the following.

For a Sandtrooper to meet 501st Standards, you must have the following:

• White Sandtrooper (or modified Stormtrooper) armor, made in ABS, HIPS, or Fiberglass.

• Black Gloves. No particular material, but must cover the wrist and not have any visible strapping.

• White, ankle high, laceless, Stormtrooper boots. The boots are usually made from leather or vinyl, with small U-shaped elastic sections on either side of the ankle, and an approx. 1" heel. Typically CABoots or Mark Cheng high-top design, but also jodhpur boots painted white. "Elvis" Boots or Mariachi Boots are not acceptable.

• Black undersuit, either one-piece or two piece. Non-textured material. Commonly used items include "UnderArmour" or "Starter" warm-up suits, or dance unitards.

• Dirt, accomplished by a number of painting techniques. Most common & accurate being a multi-layer treatment of either tempera, or matte acrylic paint, followed by one or more layers of fuller's earth. Other methods include, but are not limited to; Spray paint & sanding (usually multi-layered), application of sand or actual dirt in place of "Fuller's earth" and other types of dust, charcoal, etc.

• Pauldron (Black, Orange, or White) made from vinyl or leather. Gray is not acceptable, as it is not canon.

• Ammo pouches. Two or three in total, made of leather, canvas or vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron.

• Flat rectangular detail, with smaller horizontally oriented rectangle centered on width, and towards the top of the larger rectangle, on abdominal plate. (On stormtroopers this is the "buttons & ridges" part).

• Diamond Knee plate. Six sided (hexagon) mounted onto a five-sided "diamond" shape, with a point on the bottom. This plate is located on the wearer's left knee, attached to the shin part of the armor.

• Flat green helmet lenses, made from lighting gel material, green welder's mask face shield, acetate, or similar product.

• Weapons. MG-34 (DLT19), Lewis Gun (T21), MG15 (unnamed in SW galaxy), or Sterling SMG (ANH Style E-11). These weapons may be scratch-built, resin cast, hyperfirm rubber cast, vaccum-formed, or real demilitarized guns. Hasbro E-11's are acceptable with or without modification.

• No "drop boxes" (small rectangular parts attached to stormtrooper's belts, above the thigh).

• No black lines in grey teardrops, traps, or vents of helmet.

• No rear belt O2 canister.

• No E-11 Holsters.

A Sandtrooper Should also have the following (aka the MEPD detachment's Deployed Status)

For a Sandtrooper to become MEPD Deployed Status, you must first meet 501st Legion Standards, then meet these additional requirements. All of the following exemplify the quintessential Sandtrooper as-if he walked out of the movie. While difficult to accomplish, it is by no means impossible.

• Desert Backpack, styled after the ANH sandtrooper packs. They are comprised of two main boxes (aka Seed Trays), that are the approximate width of the backplate, correct bend on frame. Strict screen accuracy is required! While not every Sandtrooper in the film had a backpack, we feel that this level of commitment and overall design of the character should be attained. This also means taking no personal liberties such as LED lights, etc.

• No ribbed shoulder straps. (Sandtrooper chest and back are attached from within via soft straps, and do not have the plastic ribbed straps like stormtroopers).

• No FX Helmets. There are now more than enough alternatives to an FX helmet to meet this obligation. AP, TE, MR, SDS, etc.

• Four "teeth" cut out on either side of helmet "frown". This detail is often referred to as a "Stunt" helmet variation, in addition to the flat green lenses.

• Frown must be painted gray and must not leave the teeth area.

• Tube stripes must be the correct blue, and not the darker navy seen on many FX helmets.

• Correct Hovi-Mix mic tips.

• Helmet details such as the tear-drops and traps. You're encouraged to hand paint these gray with black outlines, like the originals, but decals are acceptable. Also paint the ears gray, with a black outline. The ear dimples may be painted black or left gray, it's up to you.

• Canvas belt, approximately 3" wide.

• No drop boxes, O2 canister, or holster.

• Left side Ab plate, there should be three buttons, painted white. Alternatively, Four buttons are allowed, but three is highly encouraged.

• Particular ammo pouches. Reproduction or original MP-40 ammo pouches are generally considered canon, made in either canvas or leather. Other acceptable names/designs include Stolla Wien, and the once common "Norwegian" green MP-40 pouches, made in leather. These should be dyed or painted black.

Weapon Modification Details

There are many weapons used by Sandtroopers, but in particular, each has been modified to appear more sci-fi looking. Each of the following qualifies for deployment, provided these modifications are done.

• E-11, aka Sterling SMG. Must have six t-tracks on the barrel, sight rail and scope. Hengsler Counter is optional, as it was not seen. No ESB or ROTJ greeblies are allowed.

• T-21, aka Lewis Gun. Must have ribbed barrel and either a canvas, leather or nylon sling.

• DLT-19, aka MG-34. Must have T-tracks on the barrel, ammo box cover, and conical disk affixed to left side of thumb grip area.

• MG-15. Too date, this weapon has not been cast and resold in any great quantity, nor are the exact scopes readily available. Generally speaking, ones seen are either completely fan-built from scratch or are real demilitarized weapons.

A Sandtrooper May also have the following as approved options.

• Desert Backpack, styled after the ANH sandtrooper packs. A loose interpretation is allowed, but screen accuracy is encouraged. This is optional because we're aware that not all Sandtroopers had backpacks.

• Macrobinoculars. Styled after those used in the Special Edition.

• Dewback Prod. The prod is a black pole, approx 96" long, with metal details at both ends. (Many opt for a shorter length)

• "Dimpled" or "cheese-grater" style handbacks. These were worn by several troops in ANH, and are approximately rectangular, and have a pattern of "pill-shaped" indentations. There remains much debate if these were formed parts or last-minute replacement parts made of unknown materials.

Last edited per Legion CRL format instructions on 3/26/08

Thanks Mike, will definitely take this as a guideline from now on. And will inform those that are interested to be deployed in MEPD to follow this CRL.

• Ammo pouches. Made of leather, canvas or vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron.

• Black Leather, Vinyl, or Canvas Ammunition Pouches (MP40, MP38, or similarly styled) Worn on the left shoulder, and also on the belt.

Should this be posted twice?

To be clear, there is a CRL proposal in the GML forum dated 22OCT07, and that proposal is not identical to what's above. I'm not sure where the one in the GML forum came from. I've put a query in the GML forum as to what happens next wrt to 501st standards.

I copy sir!

I will try my best to get new pictures up (the next time I armor up) with my AP helmet on to replace my prior FX helmet picture in the deployed gallery.

Not to mention...I have a T-21 (Hyperfirm) now instead of the previous home-made T-21 from the hardware store.

Hoo-Rah!

• Ammo pouches. Made of leather, canvas or vinyl. Worn either at the hips or left shoulder, opposite of the pauldron.

• Black Leather, Vinyl, or Canvas Ammunition Pouches (MP40, MP38, or similarly styled) Worn on the left shoulder, and also on the belt.

Should this be posted twice?

Silly me. I'll fix it.

2008 MEPD Deployed Officer Status (advanced) requirements.

• Helmet details. You're encouraged to hand paint these, like the originals, but decals are acceptable. Gray traps with no detail lines. Gray frown. Blue mandible stripes.

Quick question: Does this mean that there should be no black lines around the traps as well?

2008 MEPD Deployed Officer Status (advanced) requirements.

• Helmet details. You're encouraged to hand paint these, like the originals, but decals are acceptable. Gray traps with no detail lines. Gray frown. Blue mandible stripes.

Quick question: Does this mean that there should be no black lines around the traps as well?

oh, no - they are still there. We can add that verbiage if you would like.

BTW - I've updated the list above to reflect a few changes. I've also been informed that in order to ratify these changes and be acknowledged by the Legion, we must submit them to the new LMO and Mark Fordham, who will then pass them on to the Bureaucracy of the Counsel and THEN the GMLs.

While Paul may be able to elaborate on that procedure more, my understanding is that this happened last year, too, and it never got anywhere.

You're correct Mike. Even when it does make it through that process, it goes into a black hole. For instance the standtrooper CRL was posted in the GML forum on 22OCT of last year - five months ago. The stormtrooper CRL was sent to the LMO (didn't know it needed to go to the LCO) back in December 2006.

The following CRL's were posted last October (the 22nd)

* Sandtrooper

* Snowtrooper

* Snow Commander

* AT-AT Driver

* Imperial Crew/Technician

* Darth Vader

EDIT - found the following in the forums, for some reason they were unstickied:

* Imperial Guard (TR)

* Imperial Officer

* Biker Scout

* TIE Pilot

Also, at one point I remember seeing one for TI pilots, but can't find it now. As I said, TK's were submitted to LMO over a year ago, but never made it into the GML forum for comment.

To be honest I'm not sure where the blockage occurred after these got posted and comments added by the GMLs, as we've not been given any progress updates.

Hopefully someone on Legion Council can shed light on what happened after the GML's provided their comments.

Just a point, this reads like with the changes you can now get MEPD deployment standard with out owning a BFG.

If that was intended, then cool. If it wasn't, then just pointing it out!

Paul and I are discussing that actually.

i noticed that the TD ALSO has the alleged "heavy Weapons trooper" (clean) in there. i know its EU, but since its the same designation as us, does it fall under the MEPD's juristiction or under the TK folks?

Neither. HWT are "owned" by the Spec Ops, which is where non-canon tk/td's go unless claimed otherwise.

There is not a correlation between a detachment and a costume designator, though each detachment does own a single costume type. Sith Lords make this distinction as well - canon in 501st SL Det, EU in Flagship Eclipse though all are SL costume designators.

A Sandtrooper May also have the following as approved options.

• Desert Backpack, styled after the ANH sandtrooper packs. A loose interpretation is allowed, but screen accuracy is encouraged. This is optional because we're aware that not all Sandtroopers had backpacks.

• Macrobinoculars. Styled after those used in the Special Edition.

• Dewback Prod. The prod is a black pole, approx 96" long, with metal details at both ends. (Many opt for a shorter length)

• "Dimpled" or "cheese-grater" style handbacks. These were worn by several troops in ANH, and are approximately rectangular, and have a pattern of "pill-shaped" indentations. There remains much debate if these were formed parts or last-minute replacement parts made of unknown materials.

I think i should be clarified that these options are for 501st approval only... Reading the requirements from top to bottom almost gives the impression it for Deployed status as well... my 2 cents... (or 1p)

I think i should be clarified that these options are for 501st approval only... Reading the requirements from top to bottom almost gives the impression it for Deployed status as well... my 2 cents... (or 1p)

That's the way they wanted it.