Were you happy with ROTS?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Heck Yeah, Thumbs up!!
    • Pretty good
    • Meh.
    • Kinda dissapointed
    • Heck No, Thumbs down.

Heck yeah! Come on! Let's give George some credit.

Spoiler discussion:

I saw it again for the second time, and it actually gripped me more. The first time, I was tired, it felt surreal, almost like a dream. Today it all sunk in. I liked it. Yes it was dark but that's the way the story goes. You can't escape the continuity. My wife found the Millenium Falcon in the battle scene in the beginning. I did spot George Lucas, and his kids. I also spotted Jeremy Bulloch, Jay Lagaya, and Bodie Taylor...even if he was cgi'd.

The acting was good, in my opinion, the dialogue seamless. George did a good job of his old serial movie style. Some parts were a bit cheesy, but that's okay. Man, my heart broke when that little youngling appealed to Anakin for help only to find the tip of his lightsaber, which I'm glad we didn't have to see. George picked the perfect little tyke to portray that innocence. That padawan that slayed some clones before falling prey to their blaster fire in front of Bail was George's son and his choreography was impressive.

This movie rocked and it was the best and most well rounded of all six in my mind, albeit dark and sad. When I saw it the first time, I felt kind of sick about the 501st and the slaughter of innocent children, but watching it the second time, I realized it's just part of the movie and nothing more. The preview depicting Obi-Wan telling Anakin he was the chosen one seemed cheesy, but when you hear the dialogue throughout the entire scene made sense. I felt really badly for Obi-Wan and applaud his steadfastness in his convictions. He felt that he failed Anakin, but he had a tremendous task to begin with. Obi-Wan is awesome.

Padme should have had plenty of reason to live and I felt that her death should have been rewritten so that Anakin had indeed inadvertantly killed her as Palpatine had suggested. But alas, dying of a broken heart was her fate.

Only one thing really bugged me and it's frivolous. While Obi-Wan and Anakin were dueling on that small platform floating across the lava, they should have by all reasoning, caught fire, and burned. That's just too close to the lava. If Anakin can catch fire on the black sandy shore just above the lava flow, then they should have both caught fire while dueling in the intense heat of the flowing torrent.

Everything else was cool. Lot's of cool costuming potential from this movie. Two thumbs up. I'll watch it again and again, though with renewed interest in watching the OT from a fresh perspective.

This movie was fantastic, period. George Lucas really sent us off with a bang and this is by FAR the best one out of the prequels. It's amazing to me how this film really makes you see Vader as a totally different character, a tragic, fallen hero more than just a villian.

I liked how, in the beginning of the film, it was more comedic, more "buddy cops" feeling between Anakin and Obi-Wan, it made them appear to be extremely good friends as opposed to master and apprentice the way it was in E2, which of course, made the ending that much more horrible and sad. I felt completely sick for Obi-Wan with what he knew he had to do and for the way he had to feel seeing Anakin burning up in front of him. (And speaking of which, in response to the notion that both of them should have been burning up during the duel over the lava, if I was noticing correctly, all the things that were in contact with the lava, like the little droids, or things near the lava like the platforms they were on, they seemed to have some kind of shielding of force fields going on underneath them. I'm guessing that's what that blue-ish purple glow was underneath them was. There was also the scene where right before Padme arrived, Anakin is standing there looking out of the building part he was in and there was a spark that was hitting near the roof and you could see the shield activating to protect the building, it was that same glow. Then again, I could be WAY off! LOL)

ANYway, I loved the movie and can't wait to see it many more times, hopefully a few times on the digital screen around here. It's kind of surreal, sad, and sickening to think that the films are over and done with, but thank you Mr. Lucas for this movie and for the past nearly 30 years of everything Star Wars!

I loved it. I thought Obi-Wan absolutely stole the movie. What a job by Ewan!! He has been BY FAR the best actor in the prequels; JUST ahead of Ian McDiarmid. There were some stinky aspects but the good GREATLY outweighed the bad.

GOOD:

-The duel(everything I thought it would be)

-Palps(as nasty as I thought and hoped he would be)

-Anakin/Vader(Hayden really matured a lot and his acting improved greatly)

-General Grievous(seamless CGI and the coughing was awesome!)

-Yoda vs. Sidious(I was against it at first but now that I've seen it I think it was really well done)

-Lightsaber battles(Obi-Wan/Anakin vs. Dooku was great, Anakin killing Dooku was AWESOME, Obi-Wan vs. Grievous was great even though it was short, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin was amazing, Sidious vs. Mace was done well and Yoda vs. Sidious was done well also)

-Duel dialogue(Obi-Wan - "You were my brother! I loved you!" Anakin - "I HATE YOU!!" Wow...those were just phenomenal)

-Becoming Vader(When he destroys the room after Palps telling him he killed Padme...wow. That was amazing)

-Ending(I'll admit that the ending had me in tears. The whole Tatooine shots with the twin suns WAS A New Hope! Also the use of the ESB Finale at the end was great too. It was really well done)

BAD:

-No Mon Mothma, Shaak Ti or formation of the Rebel Alliance(too much was cut and it didn't help the flow)

-Jedi purge(FAR too short and not enough detail. We should've seen Anakin going head to head with some of the Temple Jedi and more of the clones 'cleansing the Temple')

-Grievous(He could have and SHOULD have had a bigger role)

-Wookiees(Why show them for about 15 seconds total? They were so built up and then no attention was paid to them)

-Tarkin(ELABORATE!! Only real fans will know who he is when you show him for 2 seconds and don't have him talk!)

-No Qui-Gon(We find out that he has discovered how to become a Force ghost...ELABORATE!!!)

-R2 TOO much(Come on with all the R2 abilitites. It's enough already. I liked R2 more when he just plugged into outlets and solved everything)

Like I said, the good outweighed the bad immensely and I really enjoyed it. Hopefuly with more viewings, I'll enjoy it even more.

As expected from a fellow trooper...

A big thumbs up - Heck yeah!

I was very excited at the premiere, and was thrilled to watch the film. It really helps to watch it (the first time) with a large group of excited fans. Cheering for Yoda, the Wookiees', etc...

I thought it left out some details of the end of the Clone Wars and the beginning of the rebel alliance...but it had a lot to cover. I mean think about it, we had to watch Anakin take his steps towards the dark side, become Vader and take out the Jedi. (And during that...Padme giving birth to the twins). I think it was very well laid out.

General Greivous...you rock! I really enjoyed seeing the cyborg on screen, the coughing was a great touch. Grand Moff Tarkin = BAD ***! I agree with an earlier statement, only the true fans know who he is.

Did anyone see the "Falcon" in one of the landing scenes? I did - that was also another nice touch. My big salute to George Lucas for bringing everything full circle.

Did anyone else make the connection that Sidious could have been responsible for Anakin being born? He said he and his master had the power to influence midiclorians (sp?) to create life. Since Anakin was concieved by the midiclorians, couldn't Sidious be the one behind it? It made sense to me. Anyway, I'm glad the whole force ghost thing was left as it is. I think any effort to get technical and explain it would have resulted in a cheesy answer. (i like a little mystery ) Overall the movie rocked. At times I thought the fast pace of the film interfered with the story, but to a forgivable degree. I'm looking forward to the DVD and getting out to see the digital version (only saw the film version so far). Now, who wants to watch all six in a row?

Did anyone else make the connection that Sidious could have been responsible for Anakin being born? He said he and his master had the power to influence midiclorians (sp?) to create life. Since Anakin was concieved by the midiclorians, couldn't Sidious be the one behind it? It made sense to me.

I'm of the same opinion. Palpatine wanted someone very strong who could take care of things in the Empire. Vader was the perfect juggernaut who could take care of business. Read the new Insider magazine. Ian McDiarmid touches on this in an interview.

The Falcon lands on Coruscant just after Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Palpatine crash land and are on their way to meet Bail Organa and other Senators. Look for it on the bottom right of the screen where ships land and take off. There are multi-level landing platforms.

As what we know Vader to be in the originals he is someone of great power and authority. To me he was actually really wishy-washy. Like when he killed Dooku, then Mace Windu and when he told who Palpitine was. He was jumping back and forth on what he should do. I thought they could have taken out the floating along the lava lightsaber fighting and somehow incorperated what happened to Anikin in another way.

the whole thing with delivering the babies whas cheesy. We all know that already happened. I thought they could have used some of that screen time to show more of Vader being a real SOB. Just my 2 cents. Rest of the movie was great.

• 1 month later...

What's not to love about ROTS? It's funny that most of the "bad" stuff associated with the movies is mostly stuff that was NOT in it rather than stuff that was. So, if with this film production GL was able to please both the fanbase and the casual moviegoer he truly was succesful. Nobody here could pull off what he did in almost 2 1/2 hours in terms of storytelling and eventual story connection. He had a story to tell, plain and simple, and most of the things some people complain about not seeing are not elements that are essential to the story telling of this particular episode. That is editing, which is far more than puting scenes in a sequential order. Iterest, flow, consistency, intensity and committment to the story are more important to a filmmaker than making a 100% pleased fan checklist approved film. That reminds me of Boba Fett plunging into the Saarlac pit. So we didn't get to see much of Tarkin. Heck, we have a whole episode 4 chock full of him. Yet the story is told in its fullness.

However as I watched ANH the other day I noticed some minor detail that bothered me little.

Obi-Wan to Luke: "I haven't been called by the name of Obi-Wan since LONG BEFORE you were born."

REALLY?....

I believe I heard the name Obi Wan a couple of times in ROTS, which was not long before Luke was born. But of course, that was the script in 1976 when they didn't even dream about making prequels. Or maybe is just a case of Alzheimer's disease showing up on an aging Obi-Wan.

Yeah, theres quite a few things strange, like Obi-Wan not remebering R2, the list could go on for days. I am just thankful to Lucas for entertaining my life since I was 5 years old. I can forgive him for the minor details!

Oh also R2 could`ve told Luke about his father in the X-Wing cockpit............unless HE gets his memory wiped between III and IV.

Ah shut up Alex, its only a movie................................

Obi-Wan to Luke: "I haven't been called by the name of Obi-Wan since LONG BEFORE you were born."

REALLY?.....

No, not really. The line is "I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born."

I think it's safe to assume he changed over to "Ben" upon arriving on Tatooine. So, i think a period of a few days is forgivable, considering nearly twenty years have passed. Please, give old obi-wan a break, huh?

Did anyone else make the connection that Sidious could have been responsible for Anakin being born? He said he and his master had the power to influence midiclorians (sp?) to create life. Since Anakin was concieved by the midiclorians, couldn't Sidious be the one behind it? It made sense to me. Anyway, I'm glad the whole force ghost thing was left as it is. I think any effort to get technical and explain it would have resulted in a cheesy answer. (i like a little mystery ) Overall the movie rocked. At times I thought the fast pace of the film interfered with the story, but to a forgivable degree. I'm looking forward to the DVD and getting out to see the digital version (only saw the film version so far). Now, who wants to watch all six in a row?

Part of the first script I just read..........

DARTH SIDIOUS

I have waited all these years for you to fulfill your destiny(.......) I arranged for your conception.I used the power of the force to will the midichlorians to start the cell divisions that created you.

ANAKIN

I don`t believe you.

DARTH SIDIOUS

Ahhh, but you know its true.When you clear your mind you will sense the truth.You could almost think of me as your father.

ANAKIN

That`s impossible!

DARTH SIDIOUS

Nevertheless, you must decide........

Awesome. Nice job Pug! I like the whole idea, because up until that moment during the "space opera" I totally hated the midiclorian thing. I think the re-emergence of the sith having some connection to the jedi prophecy is a cool concept. It really ties things together.