Is Battle Damaged effect on Armor acceptable for Deployment?

Trooper Peter

Gentlemen,

I'm starting work on my Sandtrooper Squad Officer project and will be working towards earning the coveted MEPD Deployed Trooper status when this project is completed, sometime in 2008. It is time to play in the DIRT and to be DIRTY all over now that I've completed my spanking clean Snowtrooper Commander costume here :

Posted Image

and recently earned my Blizzard Force Deployment Status Yes, only the Snowtrooper Grunts are required to play in the Snow and get dirty, but not so much their Commanders!

I've checked the MEPD-Sandtrooper Requirement Listing and need to clarify this point here - is Battle Damaged effects applied onto the Helmet and Armor acceptable for MEPD Deployment? I'm referring to simulated Blaster Shot (and/or Lightsaber Slash) marks added onto specific parts of the Helmet and Armor, where it is most likely that a Sandtrooper is to sustain, in the line of active duty.

I've also seen the MEPD Deployed Troopers Gallery and noticed that Battle Damaged effect on TD armor is extremely small in numbers, which bring me to seek clarification here.

Will appreciate your valuable inputs on this before I proceed to Dremel out identified areas on my existing FX Armor,

Posted Image

as part of the process of bringing it up to Sandtrooper armor spec before adding the oh-so-important DIRT and WEATHERING. Yeah I'll also be upgrading the inaccurate FX bucket to a more accurate ANH styled Stunt Stormtrooper bucket in this project.

Cheers,

-Peter

Since the deployment guide has moved closer to screen accurate I would say no. No blaster burns, etc. were seen in the film. There are some troopers displayed in the gallery that have them, as we don't remove old pictures when the regs change. I know this practice has led to confusion in the past but as deployment evolves I don't feel like we should remove troops that were "sent out" under previous versions of deployment.

I would second that. It can be a personal touch, but MEPD deployment is really one of the 501st toughest standards to meet. We're proud of that, and as such would prefer our troops as canon as possible.

BTW: your Snowtrooper Commander is amazing!! The best I've ever seen.

• 2 months later...

My apologies for this untimely response and my deepest gratitude, Seth and Mike for your informative replies.

Since the deployment guide has moved closer to screen accurate I would say no. No blaster burns, etc. were seen in the film.

Alright, my Sandtrooper armor is going to done to comply with CANON Screen Accuracy in the prevailing MEPD Deployment guide. The best alternative in lieu of having simulated Blaster Shot (and/or Lightsaber Slash) marks is to HEAVILY weather my Sandtrooper armor with the Woodland Scenics Pigments and some Fuller's Earth so that my end result will resemble something like :

Posted Image

a Sandtrooper who spent some time in the middle of the Tatooine desert searching for the jettisoned escape pod.

There are some troopers displayed in the gallery that have them, as we don't remove old pictures when the regs change. I know this practice has led to confusion in the past but as deployment evolves I don't feel like we should remove troops that were "sent out" under previous versions of deployment.

OK understood, from you're coming from. I'm looking forward to see my profile pic included in the prestigious MEPD Deployed Gallery in this year.

Good luck with your sandtrooper! If it turns out half as awesome as your snowtrooper commander, it is going to be great!

Thank you nico. I'm doing all the research I can with the vast information that is available in the MEPD forums to get my Sandtrooper gear done right esp. the Backpack, BFG and weathering. Compared to my Snowtrooper Commander project when I first started out in 2006, the then information at the Blizzard Force forums was much scarer compared to today.

Good luck with your sandtrooper! If it turns out half as awesome as your snowtrooper commander, it is going to be great!

Copy that, your replica are the best i have ever seen.

I think i have seen it on the propden forum too, some time ago.

Can´t wait to see you project too.

Keep the good work up mate .

OK, maybe I need to spend some time on the Blizzard Force forums, but aren't the shoulder bells on this pisc upside down? Maybe the commander is done differently, but it seems the block detail should be on the lower part of the bell.

Just curious?????

The commander has the ridges at the top, but the bells should lay flatter against the arms.

Overall that's a great looking snowtrooper commander.

When Anakin (Jake Lloyd) was inducted into the 501st, the Norweigan Garrison has a TD to the left of the photo that has done a great job of battle damaging his armor. I don't have it or I would post it.

Maybe someone else can post it?