Painting and weathering my first helmet!

nico

Hey!

A couple of days ago, my first helmet arrived! It is a TE helmet, apparently made of HIPS (cant remember if that was the correct name), wich should be what the originals were made of? Anyway it has this sort of green/beige color you can see on the old originals where the paint has fallen off. The earpieces are however what i think is white ABS (shiny looking plastic, and white!) The helmet was supposed to arrive fully painted, but that apparently did not happen. So now i have to try it myself! With the help of TD-252, i have learned that the following colors are the stuff i am supposed to use! (us Europeans have to stick with humbrol!)

Humbrol Glossy White

Humbrol Glossy grey 5.

Humbrol Black 21.

Revell (blue) 51. / Humbrol midnight blue 15.

I have only acquired the humbrol glossy white, but i guess i am going to have to start with painting the entire helmet white anyhow, so i can acquire the rest later! I am not sure if i am supposed to paint the white earpieces? I have ordered the Hovi`s from Stomper, and i have spoken with one who can make me a plexi-glass lens for the eyes. Have anyone tried using plexi-glass for the eyes? I figured it might be better to see through than the welder-visor material?

Another question i have, is if anyone has a pattern for the blue stripes one could print out and trace for where to paint the stripes? That might be a tad easyer than doing it freehand, and getting decals is not an option.

The third question is perhaps the most important one. As stated i have what is apparently the "real" type of plastic. So the question is really if i should use the "toothpaste method" to recreate this helmet (picture from the starwarshelmets.com site) http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/2007 ... tunt01.jpg

The paint that comes off that one is perhaps a tad too much, so another one that looks like the paint has come off is this one:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/2007 ... tunt03.jpg

I am however not sure if it is the painting that has come off on the most exposed parts/corners of the helmet, or if it is painted on weathering? And would it look too damaged with both the inner plastic exposed and the sand/dirt weathering on top?

This is all i could think of for now, and i hope that you all can help me out! As you can imagine, i am quite nervous about ruining my "virgin helmet"! =) I will post pictures of the progress once i have decided what to go for!

Thanks in advance! (and please move this thread if i posted it in the wrong place!)

-nico

Its **** bad, that you have paid for a full assembel TE helmet.

And get this insted .

I was thinkig, that your TE helmet was made out of fiber glass.

Looks like you got a HDPE baige/sand colour plastic TE helmet, whit HIPS white plastic ears.

I belive there was made about 56 anh suits/helmets.

And about 12 of them was in HDPE, and all stunt versions.

The rest was made in 60 gauge ABS white plastic.

You got the right colours, to paint the helmet there.

In anh, and most of the people.

There own a TE hdpe, paint them whit krylon spray paint white.

We dont have krylon, here in europe.

Quick, montana, belton is good items too.

Quick is from sweden, belton german, montana spain, you can all get here in DK.

The reason i was thinking about use humbrol all over the helmet, white too.

Is that it will make a strong surface, and will not crack off as much as the spray paint will (i think).

But it will only look nice whit the white humbrol, if you can paint it whit out making stripes from the brush.

Remember the humbrol, should have about 3 times paint over before its cover.

Make e.g a test on something before the helmet, and see.

If its looks bad, go for the spray.

Eny way, congratulations whit your helmet bro.

Rolf

I will try to get the spray, as it seems like this guy http://whitearmor.net/forums/index.php? ... =1669&st=0 has the same helmet, and he has spray painted it too! If you look at the first picture on post number 17, that is pretty much how my helmet looks at the moment! =) I have decided not to make the paint fall off like on the original old helmets, only to weather the helmet with paint. I hope to get started either today or tomorrow with painting the white.

A quick question: am i supposed to apply anything onto the helmet before i paint it? Or will the humbrol paint connect well to the plastic without anything beneath?

No, just paint it directly.

You can spray it white, and then paint the humbrol area grey, black, blue.

Or you can paint it all in humbrol, and then the colours.

Just remember, the humbrol cover real bad.

Just give it 3 times, and it will stay there strong

The first round of paint is on! =)

I did not find any spray of the white paint, so i have applied it with a very nice/fine brush. I figured it was better with too little than too much paint on at a time, so the first layer of paint is very very thin. For the first time in my life i am excited about drying paint! =D I have taken pictures, but it is with my mobile phone, and i am unable to transfer the pictures onto the computer at the moment. I will try to upload them asap so this thread actually turns out semi-fun to read ( i like progress threads with pictures myself! ) Btw, has anyone any good tips on how to paint the blue stripes? If someone has a link to or could post a pattern i could print out to make sure i paint the blue stripes correctly, i would really appreciate it! Oh well, back to watching the paint dry!

The paint apparently took a bit too long to try, so i had to go home before i could make another layer of paint. The weekend will be rather busy for me, but i will try to make the next layer of paint on sunday, and in the meanwhile i will try to make this bluetooth-thingy work so i can upload some pictures!

While browsing the web today, i found this picture of a clone trooper: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/ ... 322jpg.jpg , and i really think the weathering on the chest/tummy area is awesome. Anyone know how to achieve the same effect? The mix of grey and the brown really appeals to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously as there are no pictures, its rather hard to comment. Still havent gotten this bluetooth thingy to work, but ive taken pictures on my phone every step of the way to post when/if i get it to work. Currently the helmet has received 4 coats of paint, as i made them very thin so that no dripping should occur. Spent this afternoon applying masking tape and all the grey areas got their first layer of paint. I guess i might need another one to be sure it covers properly, before i finish off whit all the black details. Still dont got a clue on how to paint the blue stripes tho, any help there would be nice!

• 1 month later...

TADAAA!

Posted Image

Finally got around to getting my hands on a camera! Today i started the weathering on the helmet, tell me what you think! This thing is finally starting to look decent, now i cant wait to get my hands on the green lenses and installing the hovi`s!

Very NICE!!! work trooper

Do you only have the helmet, or also a TE kit.

Did you use the woodland item on the weathering.

Do you have progress pictures.

Looks like you thin the weathering whit water or something, looks nice and dusty.

Cheers

Thanks! I only have the helmet, im a budget-trooper/student you know! =) But have patience! Hehe. Besides, i doubt i will do business with TE again, when i go for armor i will probably go for TM or TE2 (and i dont think TE makes armor anymore anyway?) . No woodland was used on the helmet. The weathering is oil colors, so some places i thinned it out to get a sort of yellowed effect, other places it has more substance so it looks like there is actual dirt. Everything on the helmet is hand painted, no decals used (no cheating!), as you can see perfectly well on the blue stripes as they look a bit off from some angles, but im rather happy with them. I used the coin method for applying them, and almost passed out cause it is apparently hard to do the coin method and breathe at the same time! The only thing i might do with the weathering is applying a tad more grey. Im really happy with the result tho, i think it is rather kickass for my first helmet! The progress pictures are on my phone, and i am having some trouble transferring them to the computer, so it might take a while before they get posted. Now onto the search for the green lenses!

Thanks! I only have the helmet, im a budget-trooper/student you know! =) But have patience! Hehe. Besides, i doubt i will do business with TE again, when i go for armor i will probably go for TM or TE2 (and i dont think TE makes armor anymore anyway?) . No woodland was used on the helmet. The weathering is oil colors, so some places i thinned it out to get a sort of yellowed effect, other places it has more substance so it looks like there is actual dirt. Everything on the helmet is hand painted, no decals used (no cheating!), as you can see perfectly well on the blue stripes as they look a bit off from some angles, but im rather happy with them. I used the coin method for applying them, and almost passed out cause it is apparently hard to do the coin method and breathe at the same time! The only thing i might do with the weathering is applying a tad more grey. Im really happy with the result tho, i think it is rather kickass for my first helmet! The progress pictures are on my phone, and i am having some trouble transferring them to the computer, so it might take a while before they get posted. Now onto the search for the green lenses!

Copy.

You got good skills trooper, very nice work on it.

And like you say, its you first too.

I have done about 6 helmets in my time.

But yours kick *** for the first time

Thanks for the kind words. Seems like the shop tk1536 linked to does no longer sell that particular item. I will keep looking!

You don´t life long away from me, maybe you can found it as i did.

I found it in a graphic/art shop, paint, canvas etc.

They sell them as lamp protectors aka film, in green, red, blue, yellow, white, black.

A piece cost about 10 dollars and are about 100 cm wide, 100 cm high.

So you should have green lenses for the rest of you life.

Hope you can use the info mate.

Cheers.

Rolf

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words! Although the only thing i have assembled is the hovi mix and the black brow onto the helmet. The rest of the helmet came assembled. Now i am currently waiting to get myself some thin plexiglass lenses, and hopefully i can place the flimsy green stuff over them. I also need some more gray weathering that i hope to apply soon, as the helmet seems a bit too yellow perhaps.