Painting the bucket

tatooineboy

The Rustolium spray paint has something to be desired. I'm not happy with the way the paint job finished out. It almost looks as if small particles were present when I sprayed it on? There are very, very tiny craters/bubble marks (if that makes sense) along some areas. I dont think it will make a huge difference since it may actually help the weathering effect to the helmet, but what went wrong?

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow during daylight.

I have in the past layed down the paint to thick on a project and have found that a sand down with wet and dry if really bad then a real polishing setion with t-cut.This will bring any paint job to a pro finish.If its not to bad then just t-cut compound will get rid of any over spry and enhance the paint finish to super gloss.If you want to even better then i have used abs polish novus2 and after that weathered.Hope this helps,you cant rush a good paint job time and Patience are your friends.

The paint job isn't that horrible. It still has a gloss to it, but upon very close inspection, you can see the marks. They're super tiny.

Does the Sandtrooper want to have a super glossy finish anyway? Their paint jobs seemed a bit "duller" compared to other Troopers.

The paint job isn't that horrible. It still has a gloss to it, but upon very close inspection, you can see the marks. They're super tiny.

Does the Sandtrooper want to have a super glossy finish anyway? Their paint jobs seemed a bit "duller" compared to other Troopers.

I get your point but i always would go for the best finish as a base then the weathering will take away the just spit and polished look but still maintain the shine under the dirt,check out the screen sandy

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so trooping today w/ someone else's TK armor gave me inspiration to paint the rest of my TD helmet. I still need to do the weathering and the decals.

I taped-off the areas immediately around the ears, mouth, and chin piece so the paint wouldn't be brushed onto it. So, when ya see the sloppy paint job, it's on the tape

Posted Image

Posted Image

After painting the teeth, chin, and ears, I decided to add the decals and apply some weathering. Not nearly done, though. Still need to add the lenses, mics, rubbing banding and then the lining for the interior.

Lemme know what ya think!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After doing all that work – Why did you bother using decals?????

Not sure what ya mean by that, but I applied the decals before the weathering. My cellphone doesn't get the clearest pictures, so some of the weathering on the decals didn't show up with great clearity, but it is there.

Well, when I applied them, I wasn't sure I was going to do the weathering but the mood struck me after the fact.

Not to change the subject, but two questions:

What is prefered for a liner of the helmet?

How do I attach the Hovi Mic tips? In the future, I'd like to add speakers to them, so something that can be attached/detached would be appreciated.

i assume you already have hollow mic tips...?

if so, you could just try to fill them up with E6000 glue (just don´t let it catch the mesh).

i filled some pipeholes on my backpackframe with E6000. a couple of days later i was going to add a screw for attachment of the main boxes but the more i screwed the screw into the (now rubberish) E6000 the more i pulled it out completly.

so i would say E6000 would attach your mic tips with a screw on the back to your helmet but will be easily removed by just pulling it out whenever you need a hollow mic tip...

but PLEASE TRY IT ON SOMETHING ELSE FIRST!!!!

i don´t want to be responsable for a complete desaster!

Yeah, I have a lot of black in there. I have a dark brown, a reddish-brown kinda like rust and a light sandy color. I'll apply some more of the tan tonight.

I've been doing it layers and started with the darks first.

I'm afraid of going too dirty.