White Dial

freakengine

Looking at Rocko's awesome improvised white dial that he built into his radio box got me thinking. Has anyone ever seen or read anything to indicate that the radio boxes were anything more than vacuformed shells? Based on their appearance, I believe these to be old military radio sets, but those would have been heavy even if they were gutted.

They used so much old electrical equipment it could easily have been some kind of housing. The markings on the sides are unclear, even in the HD. It would be nice to have better shots of that for replication, or even cooler be able to ID it. Although, we all know what a pain it is to find an item in 2007 that was already old and hard-to-find in 1977.

Braksbuddy (Art) did some extensive research and believes that it might've been a simple AM/FM radio sold in the seventies, that was designed to purposely have a military look. Apparently, that was a popular kind of item during that time and sold well. While he never found the exact radio, he did find one very, very similar to it and possibly by the same manufacture.

Here's the one he used on a custom, miniature back pack for Mirax.

Posted Image

That is amazing. I never saw that before, it has so many characteristics it must have been something like that. How cool would it be to find one in a car boot sale (you know if it's in England...) Thanks Mike (and Braks) for yet more enlightenment!

Yep, I found a similar item when I was searching at one time. The similarity in the speaker grilles is what initially caught my eye.

Posted Image

Trouble is, these were small. I don't believe these sorts of radios were ever made in the sizes we'd be looking for. I think they were simply based on similarly designed military radios.

Braksbuddy (Art) did some extensive research and believes that it might've been a simple AM/FM radio sold in the seventies, that was designed to purposely have a military look. Apparently, that was a popular kind of item during that time and sold well. While he never found the exact radio, he did find one very, very similar to it and possibly by the same manufacture.

Here's the one he used on a custom, miniature back pack for Mirax.

Posted Image

I have one of these if you want to look at it Mike, but it is small Maybe 5"x7"

Jeez, what don't you have? I need to come over your place sometime. I bet it's like a replica props and general junk meca.

Jeez, what don't you have? I need to come over your place sometime. I bet it's like a replica props and general junk meca.

more on the junk than the props

this speaker section looks a lot like the actual radio box!

i did some research a few month ago and i´m quite sure it is the right rail to go for, but i wasn´t able to find anything accurate....

Posted Image