super noob weathering question!

lord stitches

hey all, first allow me to introduce myself. my name is eric. (tb-7601) i am a member of the ohio garrison. i have been a member of the 501st. for a whopping 2 months now. i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to properly add some "dirt" to my scout armor? i have been reading your forums and i have not been able to piece together the actual process you guys use to get that "crusty dirt" look. here are pics of my weathering so far. i would appreciate opinions and suggestions as to where i should put the dirt and how to apply it. i figure since i'm flying into trees all day and bouncing off the forrest floor i could use some!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You could use a few more colors go to walmart and pick up some acrylic paints Burnt Umber, Maple Syrup, Tan or country tan, salte grey or Country grey to give a more realistic look

thank you. now i know what type of colors to go for. that was one of my main questions answered!

You could use a few more colors go to walmart and pick up some acrylic paints Burnt Umber, Maple Syrup, Tan or country tan, salte grey or Country grey to give a more realistic look

thank you. now i know what type of colors to go for. that was one of my main questions answered!

if you have an more feel free to ask

just as a side note i would avoid using the colours us sandies use as they are specific to sand and dusty conditions.

for my biker i thought about what was gonna make my scout dirty for example bike oil/breakfluid, grass and mud stains and branch/twig/dead bugs at high speed.

i used heavy black inked newspaper for an overall grimey appearence which from your pics you've already got. i used nature to achieve most of the other effects i.e. jumping around in muddy puddles with me boots on and getting a lump of wet grass and vigourasly rubbing it on certain areas. i also trid to get the branch scrape effect by using newspaper again but scratching it across the lid and armour parts with my nails instead of just rubbing (it results in clearly visible scratch marks)

i finished off by using grey and brown powdered pigment blown on various areas and sealed with hairspray for oil and bike fluid spray. another good trick is muddy water in one of those evian water bottles with the drinking nozzle. give it a good squeeze and it sprays out on your desired armour part a treat. let it dry and it looks like high speed gunk.

just get creative but dont go too overboard is my tip for the day.

just as a side note i would avoid using the colours us sandies use as they are specific to sand and dusty conditions.

for my biker i thought about what was gonna make my scout dirty for example bike oil/breakfluid, grass and mud stains and branch/twig/dead bugs at high speed.

That is a good point and great idea, makes me wish i had a biker scout to try it

I completely agree. If you need a little inspiration, I'd take a look at a few dirty white cars or motorcycles!