So What's the Verdict on Shoulder Straps?

maj_hassel

I ran a search but didn't come up with anything, but it looks like, according to a photo in The Making of Star Wars book that at least some of the sandtroopers had shoulder straps.

It doesn't look like the straps were the molded type the TK's had; they look like flat plastic.

Posted Image

I'm not going to post a close-up since I'm guessing all of you own the book, but you should look at the guy with the hat, standing next to the dewback. His straps look like they connect to the back plate.

So, am I way off in guessing that there might be someone selling a run of flat shoulder straps?

P.S. I'm sure this topic's been covered; I usually am pretty late on the scene with most things. BTW, I just heard of this sci-fi show called Star Trek--it looks pretty cool!!

They did have shoulder straps, sort of...

The Sandtroopers do not have the ribbed strap that every Stormtrooper has. Instead, the chest armor was sculpted to have these elongated pieces that extended up and slightly over the collar bone. In short, it was part of the chest piece and since all the original actors were thin enough, it simply met up with the back piece and looks like an additional strap, when it's really not.

The ribbed strap piece was added later to make the clean white troopers more ornate, along with the buttons on the ab plate, etc.

Today, the problem is that all fan made and recast produced armor lacks this detail. However, I do believe that out of all the armor fan-made or otherwise (AP, TE, etc.) that Gino's molds have this elongation. The TE and AP have it too, but not as long. I've seen so few of Ginos suits that I'm not 100% positive on this.

I sure could've used this info when I was trimming off the excess ABS when I first got my kit.

No worries really, one side's under a pauldron and the other side is behind a ammo pouch.

But still....

[This is a disturbing example of the mindset of someone who needs to attend a Canon Obsessives Anonymous meeting.]

I sure could've used this info when I was trimming off the excess ABS when I first got my kit.

No worries really, one side's under a pauldron and the other side is behind a ammo pouch.

But still....

[This is a disturbing example of the mindset of someone who needs to attend a Canon Obsessives Anonymous meeting.]

I personally believe a lot of myths are perpetuated by people who only know the details of the FX armor. I know when I first got my TE I was shocked at just how different it really is. And there are even more things different compared to the real suits back in the day.

Hi I am Mike and I am a ANH armor Detail Freak....I have been for 3 years now, thanks. I used to think it was OK, but sometimes I lay in bed and ponder what kind of plastic was used thirty years ago. Was it mud, stain, paint, varnish, shoe polish for weathering? Was the strapping really canvas, did they use velcro? Sometime while driving my car I blurt out to my wife what I think the actual size of the main boxes are on the Sandtrooper pack. My family and friends are understanding of my addiction but they realize that Lucas is to blame for all my lack of getting things done around the house, because I am playing in the garage all day during the weekends instead of helping out with other to do's. I cant stop checking my emails because I hope that someone has replied to my post so that I really can find rubber molding for neck trim....There is no cure and its gettin' worse. Like most addicts this will probably come to a head and require an intervention to cure me ( no internet) but until then..... Ah brothers..Isnt it sweet.

Hi I am Mike and I am a ANH armor Detail Freak....I have been for 3 years now, thanks. I used to think it was OK, but sometimes I lay in bed and ponder what kind of plastic was used thirty years ago. Was it mud, stain, paint, varnish, shoe polish for weathering? Was the strapping really canvas, did they use velcro? Sometime while driving my car I blurt out to my wife what I think the actual size of the main boxes are on the Sandtrooper pack. My family and friends are understanding of my addiction but they realize that Lucas is to blame for all my lack of getting things done around the house, because I am playing in the garage all day during the weekends instead of helping out with other to do's. I cant stop checking my emails because I hope that someone has replied to my post so that I really can find rubber molding for neck trim....There is no cure and its gettin' worse. Like most addicts this will probably come to a head and require an intervention to cure me ( no internet) but until then..... Ah brothers..Isnt it sweet.

Yup. I'm guilty of this major distraction called costuming. Lots of honey do's and every day chores are falling by the wayside. I actually found a web page today telling me it was the last page of the internet and instructed me to turn the computer off and go outside. I actually did make it outside but only for a few minutes.