Different types of Armor

TB3114

Ok, so in my quest for knowledge about getting a set of TD together, I have developed a few questions.

The first, and most important question is about which type of armor is best suited for me.

I am 5'7", and I have read about a few makers that might suit me. In my searches, I have seen references to AP being well-suited for shorter troopers and some people seem to really like TM. I have pretty much given up on FX; I have read that it is more suited for taller troopers. So I guess the question here is should I stick to AP? If so, is AP made of the same sturdy ABS that FX is?

My next question is regarding a bucket. Another thing that troopers have told me about being short is that finding an appropriately sized bucket is important. The default FX bucket, for example, is far too big to look right on me (so I have been told, anyway). Another name that I have seen referenced on the forums here is TE. Am I right in seeing that the TE buckets might better fit a smaller trooper? Does anyone have experience with TE buckets?

I think these questions will do me for now. I know I am asking a lot at once, so feel free to take pieces at a time to answer. I appreciate help from any makers or anyone who has experience building armor for someone my size.

Thanks so much!

Ok, so in my quest for knowledge about getting a set of TD together, I have developed a few questions.

The first, and most important question is about which type of armor is best suited for me.

I am 5'7", and I have read about a few makers that might suit me. In my searches, I have seen references to AP being well-suited for shorter troopers and some people seem to really like TM. I have pretty much given up on FX; I have read that it is more suited for taller troopers. So I guess the question here is should I stick to AP? If so, is AP made of the same sturdy ABS that FX is?

My next question is regarding a bucket. Another thing that troopers have told me about being short is that finding an appropriately sized bucket is important. The default FX bucket, for example, is far too big to look right on me (so I have been told, anyway). Another name that I have seen referenced on the forums here is TE. Am I right in seeing that the TE buckets might better fit a smaller trooper? Does anyone have experience with TE buckets?

I think these questions will do me for now. I know I am asking a lot at once, so feel free to take pieces at a time to answer. I appreciate help from any makers or anyone who has experience building armor for someone my size.

Thanks so much!

So you're 5'7. How much do you weigh? If you're around the 150 to 180lbs., just about anything should fit you fine, be it AP, TE or TM.

AP historically is made in ABS

TE is historically made in HIPS

TM so far, has pulled stuff in ABS.

For helmets, I prefer the TE helmets... I think they look the most accurate and the details are sharp. The AP helmets look similar, just a removed generation of molds and made from ABS. TM is a fan sculpt (although Gino would have you think otherwise), but looks great.

I could go into greater detail, but that should be a good start.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

I'm shorter than you. Thought I ought to share with you my experience since my big concern has always been size issue. Before you tossed out the FX, this is me in my FX which I trimmed like **** before it became wearable and troopable. With some patience, careful trimming and rigging you can still acheive a decent look in the end. The myth that FX is ONLY for a bigger person is not true. This is the armor that allow massive trimming which IMO it has a place among the smaller built too. Another plus for FX is of course the price. Affordability is my first concern unless money is no matter for you. Just my 2 cents!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I forgot, the FX helmet is not suitable for us.

Ok, Now I am actually thinking that FX might be the way to go. Unfortunately, I am not in the 150 to 180 pound range. I am one of those people who throws a real party (not with a six-pack, but with a keg). I am currently 215lbs. Now, to my credit, just last august I weighed 245. I have been doing some serious working out.

In any case, I have also read that FX is better for bigger people.

But what about the FX ab plate? does it come in a Sandie version? And are there FX sandie hand plates and knee plates?

Not sure if the FX comes in a sandy version, but you can probably modify it if it doesn't. If you ask around on here for specific parts like the sniper knee and 3 button ab detail, somebody who knows where to get one will probably respond to you - that's how it worked for me anyway. Good luck!

Not sure if the FX comes in a sandy version, but you can probably modify it if it doesn't.

I should think so - that's what many folks do including myself. Most of the mods are quite easy - the only one that requires any real effort is the ab plate conversion, and a blessing it is that any mistakes are easily hidden under dirt

Girth is an issue but if not, trimming the FX for a smaller person can still look wrong. See below:

Posted Image

No amount of trimming for the trooper on the left can make up for the fact that the chest and bucket are still too big, or that a "smaller" armor - TE - looks great on the 6'0 trooper on the right.

You can always shim ANH sized armor or trim FX as noted, but perhaps a more sane idea is to mix and match parts as needed. One trooper I know has an FX kit and upgraded the bucket to TE2 and chest/back to RT. I think the result is fantastic, and better than what could be achieved with an FX kit alone.

My $.02...

I can tell you this much. I have an AP for sale (sans helmet) for $800.00.....

I am 180-190 most of the time. I did shim my ab plate 1 inch on each side. The thighs were not shimmed and are for thighs no bigger than 24 inches. I am wide shouldered and there is a small gap between the shoulder bell and the chest plate. I am 5'8" tall. I guess I can say that the AP worked well for me.

Another GREAT alternative is the RT-MOD.Its made for trhe "average" guy. I had a set of that and if fit me very well.

I opted to cut an inch off the back where it attaches to the kidney plate and also cut the neck area of the chest about 1/2 deeper which made the chest set higher. Looks much better than the luke trim job I think. I also had to cut an inch off the top of the thighs and cut u shapes into the back off the thighs at the knee so I could walk better. Hmmmm. I also cut the straps on the shoulders about 2 inches and cut the bottom of the calfs a half inch. I trimmed the crook of the elbows a bit too......

I'm 5'9, 205 and my AP fits me fine. I have about 2 1/2 inches of black showing between the ab and kidney plates. Not too bad, but they should touch at least to be movie-accurate. Here I am:

Posted Image

ON THE RIGHT

Posted Image

ON THE RIGHT

Posted Image

IN THE MIDDLE