I need help with fans for my bucket

• 2 months later...

I did not reply about how these fans worked. So, sorry for the very late post. They worked perfectly.

They have mounting spots that are of varied height and position. The image I posted is of the side that draws the air in... you can see there is an irregular height from the flat rectangular plate (large mount) to the small mount (center) and the medium mount (left).

I used rubber erasers from a No. 2 pencil as vibration dampeners. I cut them in half, then I cut another eraser into 1/3-sized pieces, and then cut one of the half pieces to 1/4 sized. I CA glued them into position on the mounts – this raised them enough for the mini blades to clear my screen in the frown teeth holes.

I did two fans. So, while positioning, I rotated the blower vents upward so that both blew towards my eyes and lenses. Before installation, I tested the wiring and switch. The 5v fans positive and negative leads were wired together, then I soldered a 9v** attachment wire to the positive, and I installed a switch on the negative wire, and soldered well. It worked out perfect from a reliability stand point.

Overall, the fans blew slightly over-volted (by 1v). The erasers helped keep my lid quiet... though, there may have been a slight hum heard by people in a quiet setting - but where I wore it, the place I was walking around was loud... since people were yelling for pics. My microphone set-up is not internal (yet), but I am saving my "in-helmet" speakers for my RT-Mod.

Best thing... fans blew at full strength for over two hours, and my lenses never fogged and they helped keep me cool - relatively. This pic was taken right after two hours of trooping in 90º temps - and I sweat easy.

Posted Image

If anyone has a better idea for vibration control... please let me know. It is now just merely a tweak at this point.