US Army Alice backpack frames

oo-tee-dee!

I've got one of these on the way and just wondered who else has used one for their pack, if so did you have to mod it and add more bits to affix all the Tupperware to? What did you use to secure the backpack straps to the frame, as my frame is coming without straps.

Ta!

The Alice pack frame is not the correct frame, nor the correct shape for a screen-accurate pack. They have this huge lumbar support piece that while practical, was never on the originals. They're also heavy and almost impossible to put a bend in. But, hey - it's up to you, folks have used them.

I've heard of others using them and this one was a tenner so I've got it to see - I can't find a boy scout frame anywhere :( If it's too heavy or small I'm going to make a frame from PVC pipe robs, I need it to be as light as possible.

while i can´t really judge from the picture this looks like the backpack you´re looking for... don´t move along, don´t move along...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOY-SCOUT-OF-AMERICA-B...WQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi

ewItem://http://cgi.ebay.com/BOY-SCOUT-OF-AM...QQcmdZVi

ewItem

the price is quite high, maybe wait another few days...

try to type in: yucca pack, boy scout backpack, scout backpack, vintage back pack...

I checked with the UKG re: pack clearance if I used the Alice frame and they said no problem. It'll hardly be visible with all the base boxes etc on it, and it's not too big as to drown me as I'm only about 5'10" in armour. If the base boxes don't fit or sit well on it then I'll change it but for now I'm gonna give it a crack.

A few weeks ago when I was looking for old ammo pouches at the local surplus stores I came across some Alice pack frames, if they are still available I will see how many are left, the condition they are in and how much they cost.

Take Care

- J

• 4 months later...

My thoughts...

I'm using a Korean made copy of the US ALICE Frame at the moment.

Primarily to hold enough water in my camelbak bladder for extended troops with as best a harness system as $20.00 can buy . As I'm used to the weight of a service field pack, the total weight of 4.2kg is negligible to me

Depending on your torso length (ie shoulders to hips), the alice frame may be too long. In Aus, soldiers often have to retro fit a frame to their issue field pack and the shortening of frames to suit is common

To remedy this, the lower assembly would need to have all its rivets drilled out and raised then reattached. The goal is to keep the top of the frame just below the top of your shoulders.

Definitely get a friend to measure from the side - extra set of eyes is always good - especially if they're familiar with alice frames

I haven't attempted to reshape the frame for the boxes to appear right. This could be done by adding neoprene foam under the bottom half of the boxes to increase the angle as/if desired.

i use an alice pack on my TD. Its not too bad. It isn't screen acurate but I really didn't care all that much. For the straps I used a 1" or 1.5" webbing. Am going to probably change that out as it does tend to cut into the shoulders after a couple hours. The frame by itself isn't too bad, but if going for the full screen look it will add extra weight to it. Also on mine I ended up cutting out the bottom brackets as they didn't look right.

I personally would go with the .5 PVC pipe frames, just because it makes it much lighter but the alice pack does work.

Ernie