Green Lenses(getting headaches)

Howdy Peeps!

Yep the Scotsman is back with the proverbial Spanish Inquisition type question but if you guys don't know then nobody does so without further waffling here it is:-

Ap Armour bought,Pauldron bought,BFG(luv that expression)bought,Kneeplate bought,AB plate soon to be bought,Backpack-no chance will have to buy one,pouches bought-etc,etc.

My question is the lenses in the helmet-my AP one has green lenses.I used to have similar ones in my "clean" SDS battlespec lid but I found that after an hour or so of wearing it I had the mother of all headaches-did'nt really think much of it until I got some smoked lenses on a whim and fitted them and now no exploding brain inside my helmet.I'm not colour blind or have any health probs so I can only assume it was the lenses-have worn the AP lid for an hour max before I started feeling woozy again.

Both helmets are very well padded and very,very comfortable to wear for ages.

Don't have any probs when wearing either helmet with the smoked lenses or indeed with no lenses(even if it makes me look like a right pillock).

So!to be an accurate Sandtrooper will I need to keep the green lenses in the AP lid when I get up the courage to get it all dirty??? I suppose I could take frequent breaks but where's the fun in that???

Thanks guys and dolls for any tips/advice or addresses for good neuro-surgeons.

Iain(TK6598)

Was the green lens a lighting gel type (really green)? You could try a welding mask that is more of a smoke-green. If the green gives you a headache I'd use the smoked lenses. I'm all for enduring some discomfort in the name of accuracy but you don't want to hurt your eyes and brain. I think in this case we could deploy you without the green lenses if that is your concern. The movies all used green FWIW.

Hi guys,

I just recieved my very first suit of Stromtrooper armour and the next day learnt that there are like 8 types of armour/helmets made :(

Yep you guessed it...I bought the FX Armour

I am going to make it a Sandtrooper suit and have started to buy the extra parts needed...ie pauldron, ammo packs. I need to buy the ab plate and green lenses but so far only one person over there in the States sells the Lenses and he is unwilling to send them to Australia.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum....1st time newbee. Any help on finding these last parts would be a real help.

Thanks

Thanks for such a quick reply That is a great help, now I just have to find a hardware store that stocks them...Oh will I need to heat up the sheild to bend the lenses into the right fit? If so would I use a hair dryer of a heat gun, just thinking the heat gun might warp the sheild. I'll dig deeper in other forums to try and find more info on the Ab Plate and sniper knee.

Thanks again for the help Dan!

I've never needed to heat up the green welders mask to get the eyes in the right shape. It's already at a curve, so they've always worked for me so long as you cut the lens at the same contour as the bucket's eye socket. It's also a hella lot easier to glue these in place BEFORE you assemble the helmet.

Thanks for the Tips guys I will start looking thru the hardware shops on my next days off. Now all I need is the sniper knee plate and AB Plate.

Oh and TK/TD-1536, you wouldn't believe it but it was your site that I found last week that explained the whole list of different suits of armour and helmets that are available out there. I have been looking at it every day at work getting tips for my suit (which I learnt from your site is the worst to buy)! You guessed it..I just bought the FX armour...sniff...sniff

But thanks for the incredible amount of info you have put up, if only I had seen it sooner.

Instead of a regular hardware store. Locate a welding supply store. They will have a better selection and my experience better quality. You can get it in several different shades of green.

#5 is usually a cutting shield. It is very dark. I like them for doing outdoor events. Indoors they can be a little dark.

We are experimenting with putting the lens in with velcro, that way we can change them for different uses. The really dark one for outdoors and lighter ones for Indoors.

I did that with my current AP helmet. I like it alot better than hot glue. It allows quite a bit of airflow around the lenses and they don't fog up at all. I used the industrial strength .

We are experimenting with putting the lens in with velcro

I did that with my current AP helmet. I like it alot better than hot glue. It allows quite a bit of airflow around the lenses and they don't fog up at all. I used the industrial strength .

We are experimenting with putting the lens in with velcro

Ditto for me too. I've also found that when little fingers are poking at your eyes, you'd rather have the lense come un-velcro'd than have it come unglued.

Instead of a regular hardware store. Locate a welding supply store. They will have a better selection and my experience better quality. You can get it in several different shades of green.

#5 is usually a cutting shield. It is very dark. I like them for doing outdoor events. Indoors they can be a little dark.

We are experimenting with putting the lens in with velcro, that way we can change them for different uses. The really dark one for outdoors and lighter ones for Indoors.

The velcro is working great, no more melting my helmet with hot glue

Larry and I plan on using #5 for outdoor, #3 for indoor, and stealing an idea from a guy at the Rose parade, mesh for Parades

I cut a wide strip out of the welding mask and attached it via the ear screws. Its similar to how the real ones were done, just with a better material for the eyes. This allows for some airflow at the eyes but still has a nice look. No glue to mess with either, since I always hated that part. Good idea on the mesh for parades, isn't that what Disney characters use?