My new (big) baby

I have a lot of catching up to do in my build up threads and such, but I have been steadily working on my armor towards becoming a Sandtrooper. I've wanted one of these for quite a while and finally pulled the trigger ( ) on it. I wanted to share my latest aquisition....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm still on the ropes whether I want a black stock/grip or woodgrain. It's so difficult to tell from the screengrabs, but I'm leaning towards darker.

More to come.

Sure did. Sorry if I outbid anyone here. I actually didn't realize it was coming from him until after the bid since I caught the auction right before it was going to end, but that worked out cool since I got to go up and visit him.

Very nice. I really like the hyperfirm Lewis guns. They don't have filled-in holes like the MG34s so they're prime candidates for casting.

???

The real Lewis gun doesn't need so much filling. A real MG34 has holes in the heat shield around the barrel that are filled to make the hyperfirm versions have little concave circles instead of holes. I understand it's a necessity when casting, and it's not a big gripe, but I don't think the HF MG34 looks as good up close as the Lewis. I suppose it depends on whether or not you finish the MG34 out with the T-track...that would cover lots of the "holes".

Sure did. Sorry if I outbid anyone here.

That's what I thought

when we were painting that one, Lewis said not to wood-grain it.

sorry bro.

No sweat, I just appreciate having it, so thanks a lot for your hard work over there.

The woodgrain or bakelite finishes do look good, but I am just having a hard time convincing myself that either of those finishes were used in ANH. Unless I've missed some definitive conclusion, it's difficult to tell. I've messed with the screenshots several times and the eyedropper gives me similar hues in the stock as other areas of the gun. There's a super slight hint of a brown in some areas, but I've found it in the black areas too which kind of makes me think its just the film.

Did you think he meant recasting a HF?

I did, but hoped I was wrong. I apologize

Looking at the vintage MG34's the bakelite stocks were either dark brown or black, and the wood grain ones were well, wood. I think the movie ones were likely black, but I finished mine out in a dark wood tone, to break up the black a bit.

Our original was wood.

The ones in ANH look black & were probably painted that way.

I just like the woodgrain

Crap!

You mean a HYPERFIRM LEWIS was for sale and I missed it!

I'm gonna have to just keep waiting I guess.

ARGH!

Great purchase my friend, they are just the best out there. You can't go wrong with HYPERFIRM!

I should be going to the shop this weekend.

I'll see what I can do.

NO PROMISES!!!