New Member Intro - Convert SDS to Sandy?

eifion

Firts off Id like to introduce myself . My name is Eifion, 25 years old hailing from North Wales in the UK. I've been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember and the bad guys were always my favourites. About 3 years ago I became the proud owner of a AFX Stormtrooper armor but about a year ago I sold it on so I could travel the USA and Australia.

I did however hold on to my SDS Stunt helmet which I bought at a discounted price because it sustained some damage. I figured it would make a great Sandtrooper helmet but in the 2 years that I have owned it I haven't done any work on it

I know that opinions on the SDS helmets are divided within the prop community and I dont want to ingnite a flame war . . but I have been reluctant to convert this helmet for fear it might be depreciated somehow.

The damage to the helmet includes a rather poorly re-attached left aerator. Its out of alignment with the other one but I dont mind that so much because the assymetry of these helmets are what give them so much character. The other damage is a "Y" shaped crack, about 1 1/4" long under the left chin.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

By the summer I hope to purchase a new scrren accurate set of armor and become a fully fledged dirty Sandtrooper

Do you guys think I should convert the SDS helmet into a Sandy, given the damage or leave it as it is and just convert the helmet I'l get with my armor later in the year.

Thanks guys and I look forward to discussing all things star wars and stormtrooper on the board.

I would leave the SDS just the way it is and use it for display only. you never know when LFL will shut down AA, i think it may drive up the price when that happens and possibly make it more collectible than ever. I would purchase a whole nother suit for trooping, TM and TE2 have some of the nicest out there.I will PM you some info on another.

I would leave the SDS just the way it is and use it for display only. you never know when LFL will shut down AA, i think it may drive up the price when that happens and possibly make it more collectible than ever. I would purchase a whole nother suit for trooping, TM and TE2 have some of the nicest out there.I will PM you some info on another.

I agree, dont mess up the sds. leave it alone.

Hi Eifion. Welcome to the dirt side!

I'd say use and enjoy the helmet the way you'd like or it's worth nothing at all. Add in the fact that it has some serious damage, and I'd say it's a no-brainer.

It's not like it's going to be destroyed in the process. I used acrylic craft paint and a little fuller's earth to weather my gear, and it rubs off with just a little effort.

Bore Da Eifion! Where abouts in N.Wales? I used to live in Holywell a long time ago (family is still there...)

Anyway, I'd keep it the way it is and find something else to dirty up. Yes you can paint it and clean it up later if you want to sell it but I doubt it would be the same condition as before...

Pnawn da Caomhanach! Its great to see another member here with Welsh connections. I have been to Holywell many times and its a very nice little town. I live near Caernarfon in the North West.

Your signature says you're a member of the Seattle area garrison, is that where you live? I was in Seattle for a couple of nights back in July when I was traveling the Western US. I stayed at a hostel right across the road from Pikes Place market, next door to a strip club haha. Had an awesome time there, Washington is beautiful.

Thanks for your advice on my SDS helmet guys. I think I'l leave it as it is right now. By the summer I hope to purchase another helmet and armour so I'l just weather that instead.

Yes I live in the Seattle area now, and I know where you staying, right downtown. If you were there at the end of July you would have seen myself and a few other MEPD folks in the Torchlight Parade...

Been to Caernarfon quite a few times, love the town and the wife loved the castle. She's originally from the US and loved travelling round N.Wales and seeing the castles, Harlech, Caernarfon, Conwy, etc...

Good to see you on the boards

Since I have decided not to convert my SDS helmet I thought I'd quickly show a pic of my other project. Its not Sandtrooper related (mods feel free ot remove if its not allowed) but it is about weathering a Star Wars helmet

Posted Image

Its a fibreglass Bobamaker Fett helmet which I originaly bought to paint up in the ESB scheme. Ive had it laying around for over a year and because I have no previous painting experience I figured I'd paint this as a custom mandalorian to help me learn how to paint.

I actually took alot of inspiration from the Sandtrooper look with it being all white and weathered, though the look I'm going for is more rusty than dirty.

Its still "in progress" and I will be adding killstripes and clan markings later.