Binoc weathering

SandtrooperScout

I did the "mustard method", but used rubber cement. By the time I got it on there, and put the lid on, I painted it, and it came out fine.

I've also found that you can use an old sponge to get a 'random' sort of pattern for the high spots.

For all my sandy stuff, I will put the item down, like it would normally be carried or worn, then spray a mist of light brown paint over it, so the paint "mists" or "rains" down lightly onto it. Gives it a great coating of dust/dirt.

I want to make sure I understand this procedure befor I try it on my armor. The mustard is applied to the armor in a random pattern, let dry and it acts as a friskit or mask when painting the earth tones and blast burns to the armor . Then the mustard that protected the armor from the unwanted paint is simply wiped away.

I want to make sure I understand this procedure befor I try it on my armor. The mustard is applied to the armor in a random pattern, let dry and it acts as a friskit or mask when painting the earth tones and blast burns to the armor . Then the mustard that protected the armor from the unwanted paint is simply wiped away.

Usually what happens, is you would paint your prop silver, or grey color. Then, you put mustard, or rubber cement on it in the places that you want the grey/silver to be seen (usually on edges, since it will look like chipped paint). Then you paint your prop the regular color (usually black, or white). Rub off the rubber cement/mustard, thus showing what's underneath (grey/silver).

yep, looks good, I've used the mustard method frequently. works like a charm. I wouldnt however use it on the armor, it's not going to give you the effect you're looking for. You're looking for a sand/ mud/ carbon scoring look. That just boiuls down to misting coats on, getting heavy in the crevices (multiple techniques to doing this), and using fine sandpaper to re-highlight and clean the high spots and edges.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey TK2427, I LOVE how the main lens turned out! What did you use for it? It isn't the usual PVC plumbing compression/union fitting ring most folks used! Any info would be appreciated!

Here is my very first TK accessory. Weathered and beat up binocs. I still need to add the lenses on the end and the viewscreen needs to have graphics and lettering added. The buttons on each side also need some weathering.

Posted Image

(Sorry for blurry image...text around buttons is aurebesh)

Posted Image