Heat gun recommendations..

Arppegio

Hey there fellas,

I'm looking to buy a heat gun to do even more modifications to my suit. I've lost a lot of weight to the point where I can now "clam shell" my ab and kidney plates. But I need to reform them a bit to get a better fit. I went to Home Depot looking for a heat gun. I ain't doin that again since they were expensive with the few they had there. So, off to ebay since they're cheaper. But what I need to know is if any one here has a recommended brand to look out for?

I bought one from B&Q which is like Home Depot but in the UK and it was about £20.00 ($40.00). If you are reshaping your armour narrower, what I do is use tape to pull it narrower while I heat the plastic gently. I do this for a few minutes but making sure the heat gun is about 8-10 inches away and run the gun up and down and side to side, a bit like spray painting. Then I let it cool and take the tape off and if done right, it should take the new shape, if not then repeat the process. I use the same method for widening but I would make a template to push out the plastic while heating rather than pulling it in.

Hope that helps!

-Paul.

I bought one from B&Q which is like Home Depot but in the UK and it was about £20.00 ($40.00). If you are reshaping your armour narrower, what I do is use tape to pull it narrower while I heat the plastic gently. I do this for a few minutes but making sure the heat gun is about 8-10 inches away and run the gun up and down and side to side, a bit like spray painting. Then I let it cool and take the tape off and if done right, it should take the new shape, if not then repeat the process. I use the same method for widening but I would make a template to push out the plastic while heating rather than pulling it in.

Hope that helps!

-Paul.

Great tips. I hadn't even thought of using tape. Much more efficient than what I was planning which would probably have ended with me getting burnt...or something.

I'll try that Harborfrieght place. That price trumps some of the ones on ebay. Thanks, TK4510!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.