Bee Stinger Research Thread

RoCKo

since there seems to be more and more interest in the bee stinger i opened this thread to discuss and find out more about it...

here are some screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and i still don´t think that it is the bottom portion of the frame

Posted Image

[/img]

follow the bottom portion, it doesn´t match! or do i squint?

As mentioned in the other thread, I believe it to be a yoke from a small lighting instrument. It makes sense, since they'd have those at set lighting.

In the third pic Rocko posted, I believe we're seeing the bottom of the backpack frame, but it's either bent or twisted in some way.

Looking at the second picture Rocko posted in this thread(white dial pack)it looks like the bee stinger is almost oval or like a squashed circle.What do you guys think.

I just think it was made of relatively thin plastic and got squashed up against the bottom rail of the pack in that pic.

Looking at the second picture Rocko posted in this thread(white dial pack)it looks like the bee stinger is almost oval or like a squashed circle.What do you guys think.

I just think it was made of relatively thin plastic and got squashed up against the bottom rail of the pack in that pic.

I see what you mean but if you look at the black cap(the part that the stinger comes out of)it dosen't look round.seen other shot that makes me think it's not round.Who knows?

I see what you mean but if you look at the black cap(the part that the stinger comes out of)it dosen't look round.seen other shot that makes me think it's not round.Who knows?

It's hard to say if the distortion you're seeing is the shape of the actual item or the product of perspective and camera lens distortion. It's also possible that the stinger bottom and sides were all one piece, so if the sides get squashes, the bottom may have been made somewhat elliptical as well.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: it's too bad there's no existing go-to source for us to know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the stinger is more of an oval shape. The previous photo shows a stinger that's mounted really off or is about to fall off. It looks like it's mounted at an angle but the other packs tend to show it mounted vertically. Take a look at this shot.

Posted Image

Thats really great! I'd have to disagree about the vertical placement though, most of them go out at an angle but I don't think its a rigid attachment. I think that it is because the "stinger" sits in a U-shaped harness that allows it to pivot about. I think some sort of lighting fixture set-up is a good concept to go off of.

I think the angle comes from the frame being bent which sets the main boxes at an angle. The screen pick I showed is definitely different from the first screen shot in this thread. The angle on the first pic is almost horizontal. I will put some photos up today of how I built this. I think you guys will be surprised when you see what I used. I think the shape is very close if not right on to the screen shape. It is something that is readily available, has been around forever even in the 70's and it is extremely cheap and light. An interesting thing to is that not only is it the right shape but when I placed it next to the pack the proportions just happened to be right.

OK. Here it is. A heavy duty faucet cover found at any hardware store and then cut the top off any tube of caulk, silicon ect. I then added two screws for the stinger, rubberized ( you know me ) and paint. You attach with the stretch cord. You can hook it anywhere on the pack. Inside the boxes on a screw or tab or on the frame itself. Pull snug and let go. It will pull into place. Were you place it will totally affect the angle. You can do anything you want with the adjustment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Same here Mike. I passed by them several times at the local HD. **** I stood in the store for 5 minutes the one day picturing it and still tossed it back on the shelf and stuck with your pitcher idea. Maybe on the next pack...

I knew that looked familiar!

No kidding, I pass those things in Home Depot every week. I always pick them up, look at 'em and think, "what can I use this for?" then put it down.

I did the same thing guys. It was this bee stinger thread that got me to stop and look at the photos again. Then I knew I had seen that shape before. I picked mine up at -drum roll-Walmart! I saw Mike there. He was standing in the isle looking lost.

I think it looks great. The caulk nozzle works very well.

I went thru the original cut of ANH recently to see the stingers in motion, since the stills can be extremely deceptive. In the move along scene, the trooper with the MG-15 walks from screen right to screen left and turns and it's very obvious that at least HIS stinger is oblong. In fact, I'd say it's even flatter that yours, but not by much.

You've won a convert. Great find!

I still say at least some stingers were mounted with small lighting yokes.

Great find James. I didn't pass these at my local HD but in my garage everyday without a second thought. Tonight they're on duty on my outdooor taps however since we're expecting a hard freeze tonight.

...I picked mine up at -drum roll-Walmart! I saw Mike there. He was standing in the isle looking lost.

Hahaha... I laffed.

Actually, it's kinda funny. The Wal Mart up the street from me is always packed, but the home improvement section where all the paint, tools, etc. are stored is ALWAYS devoid of shoppers.

I still say at least some stingers were mounted with small lighting yokes.

I think all of them were, its there on the oblong one as well as every other. Its either a lighting yoke, or a built piece since it seems to fit each one well. Odds are they were made of a plastic tube and it was flexible, hence some of them having different shapes. One was absolutely oblong though, and the faucet cover is a great way to replicate that look.