Dyeing or Making Canvas Pouches Black

I noticed there has been some conversation on dyeing the canvas pouches black. I have purchased some really great canvas repros and I want to make them accurate.

My question is: Has anyone tried Plasti Dip spray paint? I just wondered as the 'paint' creates a sort of plastic layer that may soak in on the first coat, but should create a 'layer' afterwards. Has there been any thought to this? And if so, how would I 'seal it' afterwards.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have used it a lot, and can say from experience - you will not want to use it a s a base coat. It works well as handgrip coatings, but just like any rubber coating, it wears and can peel (even when properly applied. This would be catastrophic for a base coat on any weapon, etc... It would be of better use as a last external grip coating...

I certainly would not use it on canvas..

• 3 weeks later...

I used the RIT and it worked pretty well. The only advice I have is don't skimp in the dye. I started out soaking the pouch for 30 minutes and was not happy as it just looked dark green. I then added more dye and it turned out much better.

Don't skimp on the dye!!

I placed PVC tubes in the pouches and it holds pretty good shape without being too heavy. The bottom even looks somewhat square, even with the rounded PVC in it.

Question: I have the chest mounted pouch on, but how is everyone mounting the side pouch on their belt? The repro has the slanted loops and I was wondering what the best method is for adding it?

I placed PVC tubes in the pouches and it holds pretty good shape without being too heavy. The bottom even looks somewhat square, even with the rounded PVC in it.

Question: I have the chest mounted pouch on, but how is everyone mounting the side pouch on their belt? The repro has the slanted loops and I was wondering what the best method is for adding it?

I actually folded some heavy corrugated cardboard into the size and shape of an MP40 ammo magazine, then covered the top portion with electrical tape in case it could be seen. So far so good. It's much lighter than anything else I've tried.

As far as the mount goes, I removed the leather straps off the back of the pouch, and hand sewed them back in the position I needed them in to use them as belt loops. I just used the holes that were already in the leather. The spacing was almost perfect on mine when I was done.

Thanks dude!! But will it turn the sink black? I don't want the misses to get ******.

I used the RIT and it worked pretty well. The only advice I have is don't skimp in the dye. I started out soaking the pouch for 30 minutes and was not happy as it just looked dark green. I then added more dye and it turned out much better.

Don't skimp on the dye!!

Thanks dude!! But will it turn the sink black? I don't want the misses to get ******.

We have a white porcelain sink in the kitchen and the black Rit only greyed it slightly. A little cleanser and my gf never knew I was there. I don't know how it does with stainless steel or other surfaces, though.

We have a white porcelain sink in the kitchen and the black Rit only greyed it slightly. A little cleanser and my gf never knew I was there. I don't know how it does with stainless steel or other surfaces, though.

LOL

To do the job correctly, get some leather dye from either a pro shoe shop, leather store, or Tandy Leather (lots of Star Wars things came from Tandy) www.tandyleather.com I used the regular black shoe polish you can find in any large store. I cheaped out and went with the dab-and-wipe kind. Cripes. You can't get easier than that. It's like a giant marker, but with a little sponge on the top. Totally easy. But watch out - don't get it on anything else. That dye will dye everything it touches. I still have a pair of jeans with black spots to prove it.

not sure if you can get it in the states but i used dylon fabric paint. just brushed it on let it dry and used an iron to seal it (kind of, its not easy ironing an ammo pouch). i imagine there would be some alternative in your local haberdashery or hardware store though.

...Why not try a tacking iron instead of the regular fabric iron. THese irons are used in Graphic Arts and photography work (to mount prints, etc.) - much smaller head and pinted on the end for small areas...

..think of a soldering iron with a small iron attached to the end...

There was some residue left in the sink from the dye and I used a scouring style cleaner that is made for sinks and it came right off. The dye recommends using bleach, but all that did was make the sink smell like bleach. Once I used the scouring cleaner, it came right off. The sink actually looked brighter than when I started. My wife was actually pleased

I would use latex semi gloss.

I used Robs idea recently and it works well the paint stiffens up the pouches nicely I also put some marking stakes in them to hold shape as they dried I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed on IMA-USA that there are Tan and Green MP40 Pouches. Do any of you know which ones will dye better than the other? Both are $24.95 plus shipping so the price isn't my concern.

I've used Kiwi black leather dye (the kind with the sponge applicator) to dye a WWII leather pouch from brown to black. It worked perfectly and gives off a glossy black finish. I plan on using the same stuff for these canvas ones. I've tried RIT dyes and a couple other things. So far the Kiwi black leather dye is the best stuff IMO.

I dont know about the kiwi dye if you get tan one they are the ones i got from them. they will dye nicely i would use a couple coats of the kiwi but with the semi-gloss latex ony tock one coat .

Charles & Seth,

Check out the small pouches on my belt in the pics I PM'd both of you. They are the brown leather WWII pouches that I used the Kiwi leather dye on. I wish I would have taken a "before" pic

I used the Kiwi dye on the "tool" pouch that's attached to the MP40 shoulder pouch too. That is actually a OD green nylon first aid pouch. The Kiwi dye works great on leather and nylon so far! I'm "hoping" it works on canvas (fingers crossed)...if not, I'll try out the paint technique!

Harry