bearden6521 Pack

bearden6521

After months of tinkering...I'm finished (I think) with my pack consisting of SB boxes, MH Parts and various items including hamburger stackers for the bellows, a 4" pitcher lid for the radar dish...I could go on and on as most of you know!

I decided on a "raised" left side antenna and added wire around the center of the radio box. Oh, I also used a slightly larger in diameter bottle for the bellows. The length is the same as the wet ones. It's a Skillcraft computer wipes bottle. From looking at move along pack reference pics, It appeared that the bellows bottle seemed slightly larger in diamter IMO. Feedback please!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

CM - Thanks for the tube!

SB/MH - Thank you for all of your support, I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Harry

Looks great.

Two things - I think you painted the radar dish white? I think in the film it's just left the plastic color. Don't worry, I made this mistake before too.

And I had my Bee Stinger attached the same way, but it rubbed up against my butt plate and didn't allow the pack to sit flush against the rest of my back, so I had to remove it. If you notice on some screen-shots, the bee stinger hangs from the same location, but appears to be on some kind of swivel and bends out, allowing the rest of the pack to remain close to your back.

I have not resolved this issue yet. Let me know how yours goes.

Radar Dish: I knew it's clear in the film but when I painted the acorn nut white it looked really terrible so I decided to paint the tupperware lid so it all matched! Did you use a gold or silver acorn nut....did you paint yours white or any other color? I figured going white all the way around would make it look "nicer"

Stinger: I'll try a dow rod between the SB box and back section of the stinger to see if that pushs it out on an angle to correct those issues. I'll take a pic when finished! I will probably have to cut the dowel rod on angles with my miter saw...another idea perhaps is to use PVC pipe to connect the stinger with a 90 degree elbow to give it a bend. I already have mine attached with rubber hose and devcon so it's too late for that idea

Thanks for the comments Mike!!!

Two things - I think you painted the radar dish white? I think in the film it's just left the plastic color.

And I had my Bee Stinger attached the same way, but it rubbed up against my butt plate and didn't allow the pack to sit flush against the rest of my back, so I had to remove it. If you notice on some screen-shots, the bee stinger hangs from the same location, but appears to be on some kind of swivel and bends out, allowing the rest of the pack to remain close to your back.

I used Krylon Fusion satin black and Rustoleum American Accents slate blue. The beestinger (tupperware pitcher) is blue and didn't have to be painted except for the bottom portion. I taped it off and painted it with krylon fusion satin black...The blue pitcher matches the AA slate blue pretty well

...Did you use a gold or silver acorn nut....did you paint yours white or any other color?...

I bought silver ones, but since I left the radar dish the slightly opaque plastic color, I painted it an off-white color. I think I used a Testors Panzerfaust white paint (if I'm not mistaken) I had laying around.

I was building models a few years ago and have a box of Testors enamels that I turn to some times.

I looked at the stinger again. There is no way for me to give it an "angle" due to it making contact with the frame (curved part). Perhaps it could be angled if a longer piece of PVC pipe or rubber hose was used to connect it to the box. I'll have to try it on the next pack...

I did notice that from using the rubber hose to connect it, it already has a slight curve to it from it laying down. I'll have to take an upclose pic...

I hope my armor doesn't get to ripped up from it the way it is

Looking good Harry! I can't wait to see it in action. From the sounds of things I'm not the only one having trouble with the beestinger attachment.

hey bearden pack looks fantastic, for the radar dish i didnt use any nuts i popped the tupperware off added a piece of hips to the other piece of the tupperware and attached that with a nut and just popped the dish back on...no acorn nut needed....hope the pics make more sense!! I think it gives it a more clean look!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks really good! Good work!

hey bearden pack looks fantastic, for the radar dish i didnt use any nuts i popped the tupperware off added a piece of hips to the other piece of the tupperware and attached that with a nut and just popped the dish back on...no acorn nut needed....hope the pics make more sense!! I think it gives it a more clean look!

• 2 months later...

Mike,

I finally got around to removing the paint from the radar dish. I have to paint the acorn nut so it matches better. What did you say you used?

I still haven't tackled the beestinger attachment. Have you tinkered around with attaching yours with a swivel? Maybe you can vac form a swivel that fits the tupperware pitchers that we used I have an idea for one but not the means to produce it. I may try to make one from a piece of sheet metal...the battle continues.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks great.

Two things - I think you painted the radar dish white? I think in the film it's just left the plastic color. Don't worry, I made this mistake before too.

Good work Harry! I am making a couple swivels right now. I'm using a small length of PVC, a U-shaped piece of ABS (cut into a strip and heat-bent) than a bolt holding that to the PVC, the bolt would feed through the center of the pipe, and up into a pack box, then would bolt from the inside. Then the pitcher would have a threaded rod run through it so it could swivel inside the "U". I'll post pics when they're assembled.

Thanks Seth! Can't wait to see the end result, I'll be down to personally inspect the prototype

Good work Harry! I am making a couple swivels right now. I'm using a small length of PVC, a U-shaped piece of ABS (cut into a strip and heat-bent) than a bolt holding that to the PVC, the bolt would feed through the center of the pipe, and up into a pack box, then would bolt from the inside. Then the pitcher would have a threaded rod run through it so it could swivel inside the "U". I'll post pics when they're assembled.