459 AP Armor Build

TK-459

Out with the old, in with the new.

I do not intend to do a complete build up, but I wanted a thread to share miscellaneous pictures and info along the way.

Like many, I started with the bucket. Luckily, I also have a really nice bucket to compare to as I go. I decided to do a medium to low brow and used the SDS as a template for the eye cutouts. I really like their asymmetry...it gives a natural expression. Here's my progress so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made a lot of progress during some classic late hours and long days.

My bucket is complete aside from the hovi-mix tips I'm holding out for and eventual dirtiness.

I'm not a big fan of too much gloss, so all of the grey helmet details are painted with Krylon Grey Primer and outlined with pinstriping. The chin is Satin Krylon Fusion Black.

The vent stickers that come with the AP are too far spaced if you want to use all 13. I wanted to solve it off the helmet, so this is what I did. First I cut all the vents apart. Then I layed down a bed of post-its with the sticky side up. I drew a line and arranged the vents on the post-its so that they were the correct length. Once I had them set down, I ran a peice of scotch tape along the top. After I had one set up I used it as a template for the other. Finally, I removed all the backings, gave the surface a little windex, and pushed em down until the stickiness took. It was a bit tedious, but they came out great.

Posted Image

Masking, oh the joy...but its always great to peel off the masking when you take your time. To anyone painting this way, be especially careful in masking the teeth. Be sure to wrap tape strips through the teeth gaps and across corners. If you just tape across the teeth, you are very likely to get bleeding.

Posted Image

Results

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I have this (beautiful) mess to deal with. Just finished the rough cuts.

Posted Image

looking great i havent even started on the armor yet, still feels a little daunting, helmet is done though!

I know what you mean. I usually spend a long time on a project like this, and it's usually the first cut that is the hardest. It's much less daunting if you just focus on a piece at a time. Before you know it, you're done. Things are definetely a bit faster the second time around, and I am pushing myself a bit more.

Thanks.

Does anyone know where to get the lower trim that comes on the FX buckets? I remember it being stronger but more flexible than the trim that comes with this bucket.

i have some if you need it.

I actually just picked some up at a local hardware store but I really appreciate the offer.

i can't remeber who suggested it or where but a tip i used for all the strip gluing was using strip of wood to even the bond out along the entire length. just a thought.

Thanks for the tip. I am guessing you are talking about a rather slim piece of wood? I am trying to picture how it would conform to the curves.

And thanks td252

thats kinda what i did, using thin ply wood that i got from a model/hobby shop. its flexible enough to follow the contour of the piece being glued, even the thigh but strong enough that when clamped at either end it forces pressure evenly along the lenght of the strip. worked a treat on the thigh pieces as i was worried they would only be bonded either end ( i did consider wrapping the entire piece in gaffa tape but decided against it )

This topic was a really good find. I'm with my AP on same situation. Rough cuts are almost completed. Next some sanding of surfaces and glue-work. However I'm no sure do I glue all surface together or using original velcro attachment on leg parts. That would save some room when packing the armor.

TK-4935 Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can't remeber who suggested it or where but a tip i used for all the strip gluing was using strip of wood to even the bond out along the entire length. just a thought.

it was paint sticks and the best thing is they are for free

Great tips all the way around. Paint sticks sound perfect, I'll go pick some up.

TS0842, regarding gluing and velcro: Personally, I avoid velcro as much as possible. It may take up some more space packing solid parts, but what really counts is how the armor wears.

I glue biceps on both sides, lower arms on both sides, thighs on both sides, and the calves on the front only. I run a strip of white industrial strength velcro down the back of the calves for closure, but that is one of few places I use velcro. I think that most people do the same but others can chime in. Just be sure to test fit everything before commiting the glue. Aside from that, its all snaps and a few rivets. I'll post more pics down the road.

i agree, with the exception of shins glue both sides, butted and stripped (there is a thread regarding the strip here somewhere).

i'm retro fitting my SDS at the moment. All the parts are velcroed on one side, which is a good idea for pre made armour, allowing for adjustments to fit the different shapes and sizes out there but it doesn't look very nice.

As tk459 said, always measure up before you glue.

Thanks for kind hints. Well, I have prepared to do glue-work, but have to first be pretty sure how well parts are fitted.

Right now my project is on very early stage. Almost all parts are dremelled out. Helmet is untouched and it will be the next thing on tomorrow which will meet my Black & Dekker + Dremel. Lot of sanding to do and then the assembling.

I found that I cannot do sanding with Dremel. It always spins far too fast. ABS just melts and does not give smooth edges to the parts. Already I have few times activated my smoke-alarm with ABS cutting and my neighbours must be very happy of this high dremel voice.