Fullers earth colors?

justjoseph63

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice on which fullers earth colors to use for weathering.  I believe 3 colors would be needed (gray, brown, yellow) and have some examples below, but if they need to be lighter/darker please let me know, and any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Gray:   iRsbzOt.png?1   dplaFwN.png?1   

(Gray ocher)

Brown:   zWU7e7s.png?1   jCQhSHy.png?1

Yellow:   4MnYS3J.png?1   1OjrOlV.png?1

18 hours ago, bigwam said:

I use Vallejo colors tierra Earth, leather brown, chocolate brown & black

Much appreciated, Thomas!  I looked at the colors on the Vallejo site here, but could not seem to find those particular ones on their list.  Could they possibly be under different names?  Any on their site that are similar to the ones you suggested?  Thanks!

18 hours ago, Hausi said:

I only use a bottle of regular black acrylic paint watered down and vallejo game color earth, also mixed with water (the same as bigwam has mentioned above). That's it. 

image.png.5f3370391f988eeefe682986fc67ec25.png

Thank you, Ers!  Once I get the pigments is there a specific tutorial here you can suggest for applying them?  I read a few that suggested sealing them with hairspray, but I am thinking a clear-coat of non-yellowing enamel spray would work best.  Any thoughts?  Danke!

The name's Urs. ;)

You take a little bit of water and some drops of the vallejo paint, the mixture depend on how dirty you want it. 

For really dirty spots, I use a quite thick mixture of black and water first and apply it with a brush, I then use a paper towel to dabb some of it off again to achieve a natural look. I do the same with the earth colour. Especially for some of the crevices you want a little more colour and less water. 

After the heavy-weathering spots have dried overnight, I use a mixture of less colour with more water and dabb most of it off again after having applied it with a paintbrush again. You just repeat this process until you have reached the right level of sand dirt and grime. It may take some practise but the cool thing is, with a wet paper towel, you take it all off again if you don't like it. 

If you are finally happy with your weathering, you can seal it with clear coat. Bigwam always does this but I have never done it as I find the weathering to be quite durable enough. 

Keep in mind that it will be much harder to change your weathering as soon as the clear coat has been applied. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Much appreciated, Thomas!  I looked at the colors on the Vallejo site here, but could not seem to find those particular ones on their list.  Could they possibly be under different names?  Any on their site that are similar to the ones you suggested?  Thanks!

Update:  I just figured out that the Vallejo colors you listed are paints rather than pigment powders.  Again.. THANKS!