Sound systems

clutch

Lots of good talk coming in about how people rig their armor for sound. Just thought I'd make a thread just to gather all the info in one place.

So far I've heard that we store sound system equipment in the chest area, the back, the helmet, various pouches on the shoulder and belt.

Has anyone experimented with a throat mic? I tried for days to get mine to work and I have concluded that it must be dead. I'm on the fence about trying to buy another one.

Any good headsets out there? This is my second option if the throatmic doesn't pan out. I currently use the rather large mic that came with the romFX taped onto a piece of coathanger wire that I loop around the back of my head. Rather embarrasing when the helmet comes off.

I was also wondering if anybody knows of a small amp that I could place between my romFX and the speaker? Sometimes it just doesn't seem like it is loud enough.

It'd also be cool to have a system that could be easily transported from one suit to another.

I have the throat mic - I found the wires were crossed and I needed to plug the green headphone output in to the mic input for it to work - I was about to throw it out when i discovered this. Since then I've stripped the wires and replaced the mini mini three channel plug with a standard one so I don't need an adapter anymore. I also needed to adjust my ROMFX mic volume level to boost the power to maximum (not the volume dial the settings with the buttons) to get it to pick up the throat mic. Now it works great!

I use one of these with my Hyperdyne - I gutted it from the box removed the speaker and attatched the leads to my aerator speakers... works well (insulate the aerator speakers well to minimize feedback...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

The only issue I have found with this, the on/off/volume knob is the old style analog potentiometer style wheel... it does on occaision get scratchy and short out (with all the persperation) - a simple turn-off / turn-on seems to clear it...

Cool. thanks!

My throat mic was wired backward and I could get a sound to come out if I tapped it on the table. I never thought to turn the gain up.

I also have RS holding one of those amps for me. Gonna play around with that tonight.

I bought a set of audiovox walkie talkies. They're small, came with headsets and rechargeable batteries, and have the VOX feature. I've wired one up in my helmet, and plan on mounting the other in my shoulder pouches someway. Syill haven't quite settled on just how, and I do have the dreaded feedback issue. I believe the feedback can be solved by using a unidirectional mic in place of the headset mic.

The VOX feature works well, and it provides real static bursts. The only problem is activation volume...sometimes it cuts off the very first bit of what I say because it doesn't have an adjustable gate. I'm gonna keep playing around with it's settings for a while tho since it's wireless and cheap.

Posted Image

couldn't find my camera, this is from Saturday. The right pouch has the RomFX is in a plastic box, the middle pouch has the 8 AA battery holder. The mag pouch I made and added to the pouches, it holds the speaker that came with the RomFX. This works well, and people aren't looking or talking to your belt.

I don't have room behind my chest plate

i also did what rob and larry did by putting my romfx into my shoulder mag pouch. here are some close up pics of what we did, however, rob and larrys pouches are made of leather and mine was the mp40 canvas one. works great for both though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Turned up the level on the romFX. Most I could get out of the throat mic was static whenever I talked. It's headed for the trash.

Got the Radio Shack amp. It doesn't work. On the back, it listed microphone as one possible input, so I plugged a microphone with a mono plug into it and got no sound.

I have the worst luck with this stuff.

Turned up the level on the romFX. Most I could get out of the throat mic was static whenever I talked. It's headed for the trash.

Got the Radio Shack amp. It doesn't work. On the back, it listed microphone as one possible input, so I plugged a microphone with a mono plug into it and got no sound.

I have the worst luck with this stuff.

Make sure you are using the right kind of Microphone.... If it does not have power or phantom power (provided by your primary ROM/FX or Hyperdyne) - you will not hear anything... Double check for your configuration, electret/electet?? microphone - or use one with a seperate power supply (what I use - 2AAA's).... Don't toss the RS AMP yet...

I replaced the speaker on my RomFx with 2 mini speakers from Radio shack installed in spraypaint caps and wired them parallel behind the hovis. These in turn are connected to a audio cable (also RS) which jacks into the Rom amp located just above one of the 'tube wells'. The mic was also replaced with a hands free type which I got second hand and velcroed to position in behind the frown. Everything including batteries and fans are enclosed in a TE helmet and arranged so that I can get it on and off with no hassle. The Rom is at max volume with no feedback at all using a combination of blue tack and pipe insulation foam. If I can get the specific RS part nos. I'll post em.

Got a cable from RS and plugged my RomFX into the RS Amp. Worked just fine except for all the FEEDBACK. I think once everything is in the helmet and under the armor, feedback should be eliminated. I can't believe it will get that loud with just a 9v battery. Wonder what battery life is like.

I still think my throat mic is junk. But hey, I got if off ebay for cheap.

I'm talking about the 9 volt on the radioshack amp. I've got the 12v on the romfx now, but now I'm thinking I won't need that much power since the romfx is now acting as pre-amp. I'm almost tempted to try 12v on the radioshack amp.

I don't know if anyone's tried this or not but what I'm doing is mounting the speaker (my hyperdine board will be in there as well) in the top box of my backpack.

That way, the sound will, hopefully, sound like it's coming out by my helmet as opposed to somewhere near my hip.

I have several long cable extensions but I'm not sure where I'll have them join up--probably someplace I can reach like near one of my hip pouches. I might also mount the amp board down there as well for easy volume control. That way I won't snag or yank anything loose when I take off my pack.

It's still in the concept phase so later on I'll post what I finally end up with.