Yosh's Hot Toys Build

yoshix

I decided to start a build thread here.

After waiting two weeks and watching the tracking number go from Texas to Florida back to Texas and then back to Florida I finally received my Alice pack.

Here are some comparisons photos between the medium that I already had in the large.

20180312_083931_1.jpg

The frame is pretty much the same. Medium on the right.

20180312_084033_1.jpg

20180312_084242_1.jpg

20180312_084332_1.jpg

20180312_084418_1.jpg

I almost tried to fudge it and use the medium pack that I had but the details  are just too different. I'm glad I ordered the large pack.

20180312_084522_1.jpg

I was surprised to see that US is missing from the large pack.

20180312_090806_1.jpg

Luckily it came with the correct shoulder straps.

20180312_091141_1.jpg

This is where I lose the purist.

20180219_134623.jpg

I noticed that the ammo box had a little bit of wight to it so I started cutting off un-needed plastic. I actually cut more off the side, I'll take a picture and show it later. I thought "why not" I have the other half to replace it if it doesn't work.

I'm sorry everyone, but I just couldn't justify spending  $40-60 on a fishing rod that I'm just going to cut and use a third of. So I went to Walmart and pick up this 6' rod for $10

20180313_125156_1.jpg

20180313_140858_1.jpg

I had some of this aluminum wire lying around that I feed through the rubber tubing to help give it more of an even spiral and to help it hold its shape.

20180313_135935_1.jpg

I think it came out pretty well. Not the most accurate but that's OK with me for now. After you guys see what I did to my Alice pack, you'll know I'm not all that worried about an inaccurate antenna. Maybe one day I'll upgrade.

I see absolutely no shame in using the next best thing. Sometimes it's a necessity. I'm sure all of us would love to have the exact screen used parts but we're also not all millionaires lol. Your builds always come out fantastic so keep doing you! 

• Like 1

20180315_085327_1.jpg

This shows what I cut off of the sides. I also sprayed it with some dark grey to knock that green back a little. 

20180315_102223_1.jpg

I just used an orange spray paint I had lying around to try to get a decent effect. I did tape it off and was hoping for a more squared look but that's ok.

20180315_102242_1.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but I sanded down the hook so that it sits a little more downward. I wanted more of a hanging effect.

20180315_092955_1.jpg

I started on the bedroll. To get an even look I glued together some foam and used a ban saw to round over the edges some.

20180315_092929_1.jpg

Please remember this is still a wip

20180315_101559_1.jpg

This is weird, in all the photos the alice pack looks much more of that original green than in real life. I darkened up the bottom photo ti give you a better idea of the color. Also, I was working with some plaster and I flung a little bit on it to give a dirty look. The straps are from the Swedish backpack and did not take to the poly iDiy so I just have them tied on for now. I'l try a natural diy this weekend. 

20180315_130639_1_01.jpg

What can Brown do for you 

• 2 weeks later...

20180323_150517_1.jpg

I took it out for a troop yesterday, I'm just waiting to get the pictures back to post them here.

A few things I learned:

Even after cutting the extra plastic off its still a little heavier than my HWT pack. When I did my test fit before the troop I was worried this would be a problem. Fortunately I didn't really nothing during the troop. I was really pleased with how the backpack preformed. 

I did have to duck a little going through door, kinda felt like a limbo party every time, but in armor. At this even there was an area under the main building that had a low clearance that I couldn't really enter. It was later explained that my antenna was about 4 inches too high and I would have been scraping the ceiling the hole time. But honestly, how often does that kind of situation arise. 

The other this is the pack is harder to get on and off than my HWT pack. I can do it on my own but the chance is mich higher that I was damage my shoulder bells or the conection straps. Luckily, I don't think I have ever trooped alone and most likely never will so there is always someone to help me.

Another thing I did was rum an elastic strip from the chest to the sholder bell, as the backpack pushes the shoulder bells too far apart. This worked well for appearance but it limits my arm motion a bit.

I have also decided to dye the alice pack to make it darker. I'm happy with the brown as it looks a lot like the hot toys figure, but it really should be a little more movie accurate. Hopefully I'll get to it next week. My fear is that after, it will be all black and I will loose that brown all together. Maybe by leaving it in the dye for a shorter amount of time I can achieve this.

Another thing is my rubber antenna cord. First off I think it's just a little too thick. I may try to look for a thinner one. I know it looks fat next to the inaccurate rod but still. The other thing is (and I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had this problem) because the cord is rubber it has started to turn grey. I was thinking maybe some tier cleaner to make it not so dried out. I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, the straps that hold the bedroll on did not take to ether type of bye. I took a lighter to one of the ends and it melted together like plastic so I think I'll try again when I re-dye the alice pack. If after I'm still not happy I'll eventually buy new straps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...