My new "pack"back in progress. Lots of pictures

runJEDIrun

So this is what i got so far. Nothing is permanently attached yet so it looks weird, i just layed the pieces in the general area that they will go.

Posted Image

the rest of my pictures are here:

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/run...0in%20progress/

im not sure which pack im going to do yet. im leaning more towards the "move along" trooper pack which doesnt have the bee stinger to my knowledge... unless anyone else knows otherwise?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking very good so far...

(wtf is a bee stinger? the part at the bottom of the oild fluid cannister?)

Yeah, I think Rob coined that term and it stuck. For the most part, all the packs have them, but not all of them have the 'stinger'.

i got the bread keeper in today and i've been playing around with how it should look. can't quite figure it out yet. im thinking the bottom should not be on it when i stick it on the pack. what do you guys think?

Posted Image

this is the bread keeper (top left clear) WITH the bottom part attached. to me it looks too tall but it could be because i still dont have everything else and its clear and not painted and all.

Posted Image

this is it from the side.

now these three pictures are WITHOUT the bottom piece and it looks more proportional.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

also take into account that it isnt painted and it really makes it stand out right now, but do you guys agree that i should leave the bottom off when i attach it? it just seems a little too long i think. the height is good and the width is good, but a little long. im going to dig into this and try and find a part that will fit better. Looking at some screen shots, this "Cross" box seems fairly small in length.

i wonder what it could be....

Oh man, i just went into my laundry room to get some new batteries and i came across this box! and that gave me an idea.

Posted Image

I can't be sure its tupperware because there are no markings on it and i haven't seen the lid since i was a kid. This has been the "battery box" for as long as i can remember and i think it just might work for the "cross box" on my pack!

Posted Image

hmm... i like so far. much better in proportion in comparison to the bread keeper.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i think i am going to go with this over the bread keeper. the width is about the same, a little taller in height (but can be trimmed down), but the length of this box makes it look a lot better.

i think i am going to go with this over the bread keeper. the width is about the same, a little taller in height (but can be trimmed down), but the length of this box makes it look a lot better.

I'd say it'll look fine once trimmed down a bit.

What's the box you're using as the base for the radio?

haha. it is actually the box to that my cologne came in. i got it a few years ago, but just searching ebay, you can see it in this picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=11846

haha

it really shouldnt matter what you use to prop up the radio box. you can use sheets of styrene or ABS which you can get at a hobby or art store. i just had this laying around, and since its the right dimensions, im just going to use it!

haha. it is actually the box to that my cologne came in.

LOL!!!

You'll be the nicest smelling sandtrooper on the dunes!

Heyyyyyyy...maybe I ought to try it myself....impress the ladies at the cantina.

Mike what are you useing for the MVU mate? Is it an MDK MVU and do you have seth's boxes?

And another thing, the lip around the main boxes. has it got a lip or is it flush?

It is a combination of parts that I custom sculpted, molded and vac-formed. I need to refine the molds but will make them available for sale soon enough. Same goes for the radio face plate.

Yes, there should be a lip.

Phil... what are the dimensions of that bread box?? It does look 'odd'. I've got a bid on a few, if they don't work, then we know what not to use. That other box your found looks good!

It's certainly not the 13in. one. Too big. After much mulling and size comparing, I think Matt G (TE) had the right part all along. He actually cast it for one of his TE back pack parts and I have compared it to other parts I have and the new smaller sized main boxes. I'm fairly certain the box should be 11in. long x 6in. wide (roughly), but definitly not any longer than 11in.

I looked inside the pull from TE and it had the Tupperware round circle. I've found one on ebay and hope to have it in a few weeks for actual confirmation.

i don't know man, mine is much smaller than everything you guys have posted so far and it (in my opinion) is WAY too big.

The dimensions of my box are 10inches long at the top, and nearly 11 at the base with the lip, 5.5 inches wide and about 5 inches high and it touches where the radio box will eventually be. And the blue box i am using as the bass to the radio box is the same dimensions as the radio face plate mike is working on.

this is a picture of the pack im aiming for, and the box in question doesnt really come near to touching the radio box whereas my bread keeper does.

Posted Image

i don't know. it's very frustrating. But since we have the same main boxes, you can see from the pictures that the bread keeper i got is more than likely not the right part, at least not these dimensions. I'm almost positive the box should be around 9.5 inches long at most.

this is the exact box that i got. Vintage tupperware bread keeper.

Posted Image

here are some comparison shots if you want to measure it out yourselves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using this picture as a reference,

Posted Image

Assuming that the main boxes Seth made are the correct size, and assuming that the dimensions of the Radio face plate Seth came up with are also correct, looking at the above picture, one would have to say the bread box shouldn't be more than approx. 8.5 in long x 6in wide.

Phil, I think the one you got is too thin and that's waht makes it appear incorrect. I think the bottom lip and/or top is the wrong shape, too, further skewing the over-all look.

We'll keep looking...

it does hang out over both the top and bottom but theres something else. I suppose if you cut off the lip it would look a little better. I'm not saying it won't work, just that im pretty sure this isn't the right part.

i think the box that is closer to what we are looking for is the tupperware freeze n save ice cream keeper like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

its dimensions are A LOT closer than the bread keeper

Here's my progress on the same pack design. I'll help you this week Phil, with certain parts, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BTW... the bottles are those 'Wet Ones' I picked up from Target. I primed, wet sanded, then primed and wet sanded a second time. Tomorrow I'll paint them Country Blue. So far, the paint is sticking pretty good!