My First Attempt At Weathering

freakengine

My pic doesn't really show all the dirt that you see in person, but it gives you the basic idea. I know it's just FX armor, but it's my first and I'm pretty psyched about it. Knee plate and ab plate were homemade fixes, and the weathering is acrylic craft paint. I plan another paint layer of small amounts of black/dark grey and possibly some liquitex sand textured paint. I'm not real happy about the amount of undersuit that's showing, but the ammo pouches will help there. I still have some fit and finish issues to work out, but I'd say I'm 90% done with the armor. Any overall impressions/advice (short of "buy more accurate armor" ) would be greatly appreciated.

-Tom

Posted Image

looking good dude. i like that the weathering isn't over done, which can happen if you aren't careful (believe me, i've been there) I would go over the weathered areas with fullers earth though just for highlights and accents.

I agree, less is more. Its better to accent certain areas rather than going dirthappy. May not look like much for the camera shot but when seen in person, the credibility is greater. Nice work, dirt works.

Thanks a lot, guys. I was definitely trying for the slightly more subtle approach over the dipped in chocolate look. I've done weathering for scenic painting before, but never for something that would be seen up close like this, so I've been taking it just a very little bit at a time.

For now, I'll probably leave it alone, then come back and apply your advice after I'm done with my pack. At least that way I may have a fresh perspective on it.

BTW, I couldn't have taken this leap at all were it not for all the help and encouragement I got from folks here. I really do appreciate it!

Cheers,

-Tom