speaker set up

ctrooper

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the same stage, but I haven't tried the trik toys version. What I DO know is that the shell for the trik toys voice amp is the same as the shell for a cheapo voice changer they sell for halloween. Search the bay for "5 voice changer" and you'll see it. I suspect the trik version is simply the same amp with a couple of mods. I'm not gonna try it since the original (I have one from halloweens past) is kinda crappy. Maybe he's just using the shell, but I kinda doubt it.

The crown jewel of voice amps is the RomFX, but it's a little pricey. I guess you get what you pay for after all.

The only other reasonable alternative I've heard of so far is the radio shack mini amp, but if you go that route you get neither gating (activating the mic only when you speak loudly enough) nor a static burst after you speak. The RomFX does both of these and with a variable gate.

Has anyone got another good alternative? I'd love to hear about it too.

Skullworx definitely looks like a good package, but i doubt you would be able to fit it in anything smaller than an FX helmet though.

also try http://www.hyperdynelabs.com

between the three you should be able to find whats best for you.

Is this from personal experience? The reason I ask is that I know for sure the older kits didn't w/o modification (I tried), but he now makes a smaller one that he says should in any ANH helmet, though I've not see it in anyone's rig yet, hence my asking for first hand experience.

He's putting out an improved model now, and our garrison CO just ordered two of them to put in his ANH sized buckets, I haven't heard any negatives.... and BELIEVE ME, I would have heard about it!

This guy is in my garrison and he is a stand up guy!! He makes a very nice unit for your bucket!!

http://www.skullworx.com/

This looks like a decent enough setup for a plain voice amp and fans kit, but doesn't appear to have a gate or a static burst feature for the voice amp. Am I correct about that?

yeah only the Hyperdyne and the RomFX from what i know have the integrated static burst effect. A couple of people in our garrison have the Romfx as well as myself and LOVE it. i can't speak for hyperdyne, but i know it was my 2nd. you can take a listen to their samples on their sites.

The difference between the two is basically that the Romfx comes with everything: the chip (amp and static burst unit), the mic, and the speaker, where as the Hyperdyne is just the static burst amp chip and you have to buy the other parts seperate. But neither of these have fans but they could be added in seperately. Personally, on my next bucket i will not add fans as they take up space and really don't make that much of a difference. It's either be hot, or a little hotter.

Regarding the skullworx i wasn't aware they came out with a new model so it very well might fit a smaller ANH helmet.

@ td8020: i dont know from personal experience but i was originally going to buy it for my FX bucket but then i got an RT helmet which is much smaller, and i put two fans and foam padding in that sucker and it was a TIGHT fit so i couldn't imagine having the skullworx system in there. But as TD4063 said there is a new model so it might work for you. I'd try and get some pictures or something to check it out. It also depends on whether or not you have a smaller or larger head too.

You also have to consider what you need a sound system for as well. If it's something you are gonna use all the time and need to be heard over crowds, the little aerator speakers are not going to get very loud without feedback cuz of their position. The Hyperdyne and RomFX models are seperate speakers that get pretty darn loud. I've seen troopers mount the speaker (very small) in their mp40 pouches both shoulder and belt and it is very effective. It also depends on how pressed you are about static burst. I personally LOVE the static burst effect and that automatically put me in line with hyperdyne and romfx. But if you could care less (as im sure many do), then skullworx might be the best solution for you. Its all personal opinion.

I hope this helps you in your sound system search as i know i spent many hours deciding between the three systems a year ago. GOOD LUCK TROOPER!

the little aerator speakers are not going to get very loud without feedback cuz of their position.

One guy in my garrison has RomFX in a TE, the other a *Worx in his FX. They both had volume/feedback issues as you describe by using aerator speakers, but both found out that by adding padding to these areas they were able to increase their volume considerably.

Brian in on these boards and should be able to describe what they did to achieve the effect.

yeah if you got the romFX i wouldnt helmet mount the speakers. its a seperate speaker that works better to just have somewhere else. i've never had a feedback problem unless i was messing around and put the mic near the speaker

I also had a ROMFX pro and loved it.but this time i am going with two small hand held walkie talkies.they will be mounted in my backpack with the on/off knobs sticking threw,so they can be turned on and adjusted.the mic wire will run threw my neck seal into the helmet and have a plug in so the helmet can be removed while the mic stays in the helmet.since the radios have the VOX system you can achive true radio static burst.one radio will have the speaker removed and will be for recieving the voice only,the other will be for sending the vioce signal out of the speaker,which is pretty loud.the battery system will be housed in the field pack also.I have already played with the concept and it works great,plus you get the true radio sound and if other trooper are using the same radio you can have open conversations over the radios.the best part is that its cheap.

I also had a ROMFX pro and loved it.but this time i am going with two small hand held walkie talkies.

I thought about this method too. I think you could get units small enough these days that one could fit inside the helmet. The only problem would be if some grandma had a set on the same frequency as yours.

You wouldn't want to see a trooper with a frail voice..."Timmy, are you there? Timmy, we're going to the car now."

I suppose the trick would be to buy the lowest power walkie talkies you could find.

I got the rom/fx pro and replaced the speakers with mini-speakers from Radio shack and used the spraypaint cap technique behind the aerators. After wiring them in parallel, I padded it with blue tack (you can use similar knockoff material) to cut the feedback. Sound comes out at a pretty decent volume from the hovi mics with no feedback whatsoever.

My only challenge now is trying to find a better way to connect and activate the lines of dialogue and blaster sound the pro model included without having to take my helmet off to disconnect. I then need someone's help reconnecting them in the back when I re-helm. Kind of a pain. I read somewhere about someone using a remote to activate them without hassling with the cables but no details. Other than that, I'm really happy with this system and have no plans on using any other.