Strider's Cantina Captain Project (TM Armor)

Strider

Here we go again :) After waiting patiently for some time now the day has finally arrived :dance:

DSC_0291_zpsxcmw812b.jpg

IMG_20150613_124705_zpswsee7zv3.jpg

My goal is to emulate the Cantina Captain as accurately as possible. Since I have to start somewhere, why not start with the helmet?

DSC_0295_zpsmzxvbgv9.jpg

DSC_0292_zpssfknhelt.jpg

So far, so good. But the next part is kinda tricky: The ears.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol....kneel before the o mighty brown box. :teehee: Thats so awesome getting the brown box of goodness. Smells better than brownies.....ok maybe not, but its still awesome. :woot: Take your time and have fun brotha....see you in the sandbox soon. :yes::td:

So, the ears are on. All too easy - not. I think I've spent like 7 hours just on the ears. My respect goes out to all those who have felt the pain in the past - we're bound by sweat, blood and tears now :salute:

The tricky part was not just get em on there but exactly the way of the cantina captain. Well, maybe not exactly but hopefully somewhere in the 90% range. But you be the judge.

DSC_0300_zpsd4ef5ktq.jpg

DSC_0305_zpstrqoh6gr.jpg

DSC_0301_zpsf14t08ju.jpg

Next stop paint town. That's where the fun begins :headphone:

Looks absolutely fantastic. I'll start my cantina captain project in few weeks, just waiting for my tm to arrive. This thread will be a big help, and soon we have two captains from Germany ;)

Okay, paint job accomplished. Blessed are those with a firm eye, a steady hand - and a lot of patience!

The ugliest part were the stripes. In order to get them more or less right I cut the stripes out of a screenshot of the Cantina Captain, put them in the right proportions and corrected some angles. After that I printed them out, fixed them on some gaffa tape and used my x-acto blade to cut out the outline. I will spare you the details of the numerous paint fixings I had to due due to paint bleeds ;-)

DSC_0311_zps8if2xnjp.jpg

DSC_0314_zpsvycwodwl.jpg

CC_comparison_zpspoukygya.jpg

1. Joker Grin: Check

2. Correct Stripes: Check

3. Paint drips: Check

4. Re the "crack" below the stripes; I will take care of that when I do the weathering

5. Sit back, relax and take a deep breath: Check ;-)

Okay, you have answered the 50 EUR question correctly ;-) But that's not it since my DLT doesn't come with a rear sight as well (you can check out my other thread where I'm building the rear sight). Come on, you're so close, I can feel it ;-)

Great job mate on the helmet. I saw an awesome tip recently that said to paint the stripes white initially when you have masked them as that fills all the little gaps with white paint, and then your blue that you paint over the top shouldn't leak through the masking at all.

I'm going to try that.

@ Felix: You have the eyes of a falcon mate, yes, it's the operating handle :) There are a number of smaller details as well but that's the major thing as the handle is misplaced on the DD.

You can check out Steve's website here >>> http://propsmaster.wix.com/dbs-props?fb_ref=Default

It's pipe build and based on resin casts of a real MG34.

@Nick: Hmm, that sounds like a good tipp. Please let us know how it worked!

TaaDaa: Helmet finished :)

DSC_0337_zpst5mvp4j1.jpg

DSC_0339_zpspldiym6i.jpg

DSC_0317_zpsvv1srsnt.jpg

1# Random Observation: The green color on the lenses rubs off VERY easily if you use anything alcohol based to clean them. Once it sticks to your hands however, only sandpaper can get it off.

2# Random Observation: There is a reason why many people start with the black color on the outside first and then use grey for the inside. It's much more easy to create a straight and thin black line.

Today I did the arms. Coming from the helmet this really seemed down hill and sure was fun seeing immediate results without the hassle of fixing and re-doing.

DSC_0319_zpspajs8b63.jpg

The cutting was really a mixture of using the xacto blade and lexan scissors. Usually xacto for the straight outside trimming and lexan scissors for the round inlets. And of course my favorite Zap-A-Gap and Zip-Kicker - nothing works faster ;-)

Darn, just realized that I trusted too much on the implicit lines on the casts. The return edges on the forearm need to go completely and the ones on the biceps need to be trimmed back even further. Also the connection strip on the forearm is a little bit too wide but having used zap-a-gap I might not be able to change that :6:

Lesson learnt: Don't work on assumptions but only real reference pictures