Strider's Cantina Captain Project (TM Armor)

Strider

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Ricky. Yeah, E6000 is more safe but I couldn't resist the charm of the much faster (i.e. instantly) working super glue.

Does anybody have any experiences in removing super glue on ABS plastic using a heat gun :) ?

As it turned out, the arms could not be salvaged. However, Paul was kind enough to help me out there (Many thanks again, Paul!). This was really a rookie mistake and I can only urge those who build an armor for the first time to learn from my mistakes and use a more forgiving kind of glue (I will use E6000 now).

Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk - the show must go on ;-)

After some finetuning with my helmet, particularly the ears I did some rough trimming and test fitting of the right leg. What do you think - too much, too little?

DSC_0330_zpsefa8bdox.jpg

DSC_0331_zpsyzvhijuw.jpg

DSC_0334_zpsvkbpfvul.jpg

Thanks, guys.

Bas, I'm flattered - I don't often get compliments from other men on my legs, lol :P

OKay, I've made a bit of progress on my armor (will upload some pics later) but haven't made any trimming of the legs yet. The process with the shins seems rather straightforward to me. I will go with 20mm strip joints on the front and 25mm on the back and equally cut the overlap.

The thighs, however, are a little bit more tricky to cut on the back. I'm still waiting on confirmation by Paul but my plan is to roughly make the cut like this:

DSC_0341_zps9x5vdtoj.jpg

The tricky part is that in order to have straight strip joints I will have to make a cut slightly skewed to the left (at least that's my theory at the moment). For the overlap on the top my idea would be to use a gas lighter or a iron to create a return edge and smooth the crossover section.

Please feel more than welcome to share ideas, comments and criticism :)

Thanks, guys - really appreciate your support :)

Today I did some test fitting. That is, after I overcame the belt challenge. There are quite a few approaches to this; I roughly followed this route::

1. Fold the belt in half, marked the middle and aligned it with the center line:

DSC_0344_zpshwrw5pwk.jpg

2. Press the belt to the armor to define the vertical line on which the snap lies and put a snap ca 15mm from the ridge on each side (on the vertical line).

DSC_0343_zpsi74hj7dp.jpg

3. Press the canvas belt (without the ammo) to the snaps and mark up the touching point with a pencel on both sides

4. Install the corresponding snaps on the canvas belt and attached them to the armor

5. Then line up the ammo part over the belt (optimally have someone check if it's horizontal) and mark with a pencil through the 3 pre-drilled holes of the ammo part.

6. Rivet the three holes (I would advise using extra washers) and ét voila!

That's how the final result looked like (no strapping yet, just tape):

DSC_0345_zps1wp9gm4m.jpg

Glad you like it. I'll try to add some more info along the way where I found that generally too little details are available.

The main threads I'm following for this build are :

TM's very own: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19340-tms-anh-hero-buildtm/

Geaux Saints: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21390-geaux-saints-anh-stunt-build-tm/

And also Trooperbay's building videos on Youtube "Building accurate Stormtrooper armour".

Today I did the thighs and shins. Almost as usual I have to say I stumbled across some challenges which I didn't really find in any building threads. Foremost - as you all know - the whole armor (intentionally) is pretty wonky and uneven which makes it a little tricky just to draw some straight lines and just connect the dots. To illustrate:

In order to use a joining strip of 20mm for the shins I left an overlap of 10mm from each ridge:

1_resized_zps3oatjyqw.jpg

However, since the shin is curved you have in effect 20mm on the top and the bottom and inbetween something around 15mm. Not a big issue because the strip covers it and you only have a small overlap of about 2 mm on each side in the middle which is not/barely visible (see next pictures). Or have I been doing something wrong?

2_resized_zpsjnw1eqlw.jpg

3_resized_zpsbdnpqg0f.jpg

4_resized_zps8f0u9nem.jpg

On the shins, you should have made the middle section at least 20mm wide and have the top and bottom wider to glue the strips on. The best thing to do is offer your joining strip onto the armour before you trim it and mark out where it will go. You will find the cut is not the same width on the joining edges of the armour because of the wonky nature of the original armour. It's okay to leave the flat edge underneath showing.

Try and keep your corner cuts of the joining strips to a minimum or even leave them squared. They look a bot too big.

Also, your belt. You should really line it up on your abdomen, not your groin. The belt should look off-centre when positioned correctly.

Great pointers - thx Paul!

I've made some changes to the right shin (hadn't started with the left one yet). What do you think?

20150704_070049_resized_zpscfcgquja.jpg

At first I wasn't sure about your comment re the belt but it's always helpful to have a wife around who can offer a second opinion :)

Basically, just turning round the belt did the trick of moving it up a tad bit higher (on the right is a reference pic of Davin Felth) >>>

Unbenannt_zpsw100vbtb.jpg

Right, didn't pick that up. But since I'm not emulating Davin Felth but just used him as reference for the height it's okay for me. There isn't really a reference shot of the belt of the cantina captain and there was probably a bit of variation anyway.

So, this has been quite a productive day. First I've sewn the hooks to the straps. I know you will find this hard to believe but I've never had a sewin lesson in my life, lol.

20150704_124931_resized_zpsh4duxow0.jpg

The correct hooks were not too easy to find; I found those pretty close (in German they're called "Joppenhaken"):

20150704_132455_resized_zpsnrk0ahdj.jpg

Next stop were the brackets. There's nothing like the original :)

Also, many thanks to Opi Wan (Alex) for making the brackets for me!

20150704_185012_resized_zpsq8ebklri.jpg

20150704_185030_resized_zpsco3bg8ek.jpg

In Germany we have a saying: "The first house you're building for your enemy, the second for your friend and the third one for yourself". I can see the same logic applying to the assembly of a stormtrooper armor ;-)

Today I started with the left shin. Other than with the right one I did not measure 10mm from the inner front ridge from top to bottom but took 14mm at the top and the bottom and 10mm in the middle to account for the curved shape. This will lead to perfectly matched up shin halfes but leaves a little bit of excess ridge on the top and bottom:

20150705_074450_resized_zps21evlxrc.jpg

20150705_074603_resized_zpsrdizshsq.jpg