helmet colors

ctrooper

and which color is accurate for the tube stripes?

I may be able to help here, we know at least two different blues were used on the helmets, one was the dark blue Humbrol Midnight Blue (15) the other would of been Humbrol French Blue (14).

Tony

and both colors were used in ANH on sandtrooper helmets?

many thanks for your help...

The Midnight blue (15) is for the Sandtrooper, use thinners. Also I'm pretty sure Mediterranean Blue (48.) was used esp now the Stop that Ship and Move along were found.

I'd bet they just used whatever paints they had for the helmets,no set colour.Looking at the recently found sandtrooper helmets the blue almost looks matte.Could be Humbrol 144 intermediate blue or 96 RAF blue?The black on the vocoder looks satin,though it could have lost it's shine over the years

the correct color is the dark blue #15 and the other color is not french blue, but turquise blue, like on the set for stun helmet I used to own. Still looking for the color. for some reason I can only get the #15 here..

hmmm.. strange..

Matt/STE

Hey Matt long time buddy, Med blue (48.) is a Turquoise blue, so it could be that. Matt I can send you some Humbrol Mediterranean blue (48.) paint if you want?, PM your Address

blue almost looks matte.Could be Humbrol 144 intermediate blue or 96 RAF blue?The black on the vocoder looks satin,though it could have lost it's shine over the years

Paul Remember only colours from 1-to 50 were available when ANH was made. Also wear could taken the gloss off the helmet to make it look Matt.

thank you Tony!

btw.: welcome to the dirty boys, since these are your first posts! i think i know you from the RPF, right? nice to have you here!

Thanks, good to be here

Regarding Sandtroopers as we know they were made from HDPE which is a ***** to paint white. When chatting to John Mollo, he said the paint kept on falling off. So they were chucking white paint on with brushes to build up layers, you can see the drip marks. I forgot to ask him if it was Emulsion or gloss. Now what would be cool to know what that white paint was? A british brand like Dulux? Hmmm???

• 1 month later...

This may sound stupid but I thought I should ask on this particular post...I was at Michael's the other day and noticed the acyrilic paint isle. There was a neutral grey color that matched the dark grey that most seem to use (like humbrol's). Is acyrilic paint a good choice for the details and frown if a helmet has been painted with krylon fushion (river rock and gloss white) or would it flake off pretty bad???????????

I plan on spraying krylon matte finish over the entire helmet once the details are paint on. Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Harry

Acrylic paint will work, but remember this. You will have to paint multiple layers due to the translucence of the paint. You will also have to seal it. I agree with Seth, you shouldn't seal with a flat.

I would paint it with Testors enamel and be done with it.

My personal experience with Testors: I thinned it a bit with thinner first. Load up the brush and try to lay the paint down with single strokes. The more you brush the wet paint, the more the likelihood of brush marks.

If you get brush marks, let it dry and lightly sand them down with a fine grit sandpaper. Then seal the paint with a satin clear coat applied with a brush.

Any reason your spraying with a matte finish? The film suits still had a shine to them, just underneath the dirt. Matte will really hold onto the weathering & probably make your helmet look funky.

I planned on gloss coating the entire helmet once the fushion and grey details are painted on. Afterword, dirty it with woodland/fullers and then hit the dirt with some matte. The shine would be there, the matte would lock in the heavier dirt spots. Kind of like the hair spray thing but would make the helmet look dingy in certain spots where the helmet is caked with dirt. Of course, hairspray would be used on spots where matte isn'a applied...Does that sound better...?

I'd use hairspray as a fixative as opposed to the matte spray. You might want to experiment on some scrap, just to see what they would look like. The hairspray will dry clear, so you'll still look dusty where you're dusty & shiny where you're shiny. I cleaned a part of my armor, and even under running water, 95% of the dirt remained intact. I actually had to scrub it off. Last weekend beer spilled onto my handback, no damage done.

I'd use hairspray as a fixative as opposed to the matte spray. You might want to experiment on some scrap, just to see what they would look like. The hairspray will dry clear, so you'll still look dusty where you're dusty & shiny where you're shiny. I cleaned a part of my armor, and even under running water, 95% of the dirt remained intact. I actually had to scrub it off. Last weekend beer spilled onto my handback, no damage done.

Thanks for the info, I will be staying away from the matte! I don't want to look jacked up!

Spilling beer...what a shame!