Shoulder Bell flares

TD-1536

This got started in another thread, but I think it deserves more attention without getting buried.

...2.Again,stormtrooper and sandtrooper shoulder bells are the same.One side has a straight strip and the other bell has a strip with a flare on the end.Some troopers have no flare on both and some have flared bells...

-Paul.

I knew about the flare on the shoulder bell, but was a bit unclear about it considering the inconsistencies I'd seen on film. While the TE armor comes with two different shoulder bells, both with the flare that goes in opposite directions, one would think, "Ok, they have symmetrical shoulder bells." This gives you the option of wearing the bells with both flares facing forward or backward. (I wear them backwards)

But, after reviewing the scene where Han and Luke are talking on the death star (Where did you dig up that old fossil?), it looks as if both are wearing the same shoulder bell on each shoulder because the flare only goes in one direction. Brak's has high-lighted this to me before as well.

But, all Sandtroopers seem to have no flare at all? Every Sandtrooper I see has a straight line down the shoulder bell with no flare. Either they coincidentally always have that bell facing the camera or...

Discuss.

Well as we already know,the sandtrooper was the original armour made for filming in Tunisia,so that would account for all of them having a 'straight' strip on the shoulder bells.

When the stormtrooper armour was made for the studio filming,they made extra parts to make up for missing sandtrooper accessories.New stuff like the belt drop boxes,shoulder straps,knee plate,02 canister and must have made the modification to the shoulder bell with the flare?

I am only guessing here but if 'none' of the sandies have the flare then it was made after for the stormtroopers.Maybe it was changed to match the width of the bicep strip?

FWIW,the flare only goes in one direction.Faces forward if worn on the left arm and backwards worn on the right.

Posted Image

Here's mine.Notice one has the flare while the other does not.

Mario,

They can only go one way if there is only one flare but if Mike is right,you should have no flare really for ultimate accuracy

ultimate accuracy indeed.

However, I have no inclination to take it to 'that level'.

Speaking of uber accuracy, the glove thread had me thinking, what should be worn for gloves? I have heard rubber

Black rubber chemical gloves. I wore them for my photoshoot... all of about twenty min. and your hands get funky sweaty. I'll continue to wear my Nomex flight gloves for general trooping.

Posted Image

right, i also have them for accuaracy on my mannequin but do not use them on public events...

you don´t want to see a sandtrooper with water dripping out of his forearms, don´t ya?