Tk-9010

do you liek the dirt job  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

at least i think so

Posted Image

What do you all think ? thumbs up thumbs down ... try again .. I do see a few spots that needs work .. I also haven't got my belt reassemble I' attaching it to a leather strap since the plastic belt a pos.. and the bucket being assembled..

Can see it now.

I think I got it a lil to dirty but fairly even .. so I like it ... used 3 diffenrt shades of yellow one being an off white.. 2 shades of gray .. black .. and a bit of rust...

The helm Is still new white... I have some detail work I need to paint before I dirty it up ... I've done some heavy mods and got rid of most of the original stickers...

I used spray paint... I'm worried that it will all rub off one day.... but I think each little white scratch it makes in shipping will add to making it looking dirty

IMHO you need more "texture" to the dirt pattern. Now it looks too regular and even (like being attacked by some graffiti vandals...just joking ).

Try to rub off some of the paint, spray over, rub again etc. to get some irregularity in your paint job.

PS.: You should look for another sniper knee plate (diamond shape) before you go on with your weathering...

Cheers,

Joerg /TK-607

IMHO you need more "texture" to the dirt pattern. Now it looks too regular and even (like being attacked by some graffiti vandals...just joking ).

Try to rub off some of the paint, spray over, rub again etc. to get some irregularity in your paint job.

PS.: You should look for another sniper knee plate (diamond shape) before you go on with your weathering...

Cheers,

Joerg /TK-607

I'm still looking for one of thoses.. I acuttl need new legs and thigsh all to gather... I got soem older armro that has small legs .. and I'm a fat man ... I also need a sandtrooper chest plate.. If you have any suggestions on where I Can get a hold of theses then send me a pm ...

I agree. It looks too "crisp". The edges shouldn't be so sharp. Try rubbing and buffing some areas with fine sandpaper to mix it up a bit. Everything but the rust colored paint looks OK, those streaks of brownish-red look like spraypaint and not dirt.

I would consider using a different medium (paint) if I were you and I wouldn't worry so much about it rubbing off. Once you get the hang of it, it's quick and easy to touch up any worn off areas.

oh my god ... i hope for u its only tempera color ... u´ve ruined it

u never watched the movie or ?

ruined it ? hA I laugh ... the paint coems off easy with lighter fluid... then again I could always pick up extra gloss white and recoat it to an orginal shine and start again ...

but I'm sure I Can get it looking better in no time... as soon as i'm done with school for the summer.

oh my god ... i hope for u its only tempera color ... u´ve ruined it

u never watched the movie or ?

ruined it ? hA I laugh ... the paint coems off easy with lighter fluid... then again I could always pick up extra gloss white and recoat it to an orginal shine and start again ...

but I'm sure I Can get it looking better in no time... as soon as i'm done with school for the summer.

puhhh i´m realy happy to hear that ...

i can´t tell what method you used but here are two very cool tutorials...

one for tempera paints ( look left side for Sandtrooper Conversion)

http://tk409.com/tk409.html

it will look like chris´s armor

Posted Image

and one for Woodland Scenics' Earth Colors (my personal fav)

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/davin/replica_weathering.htm

it will look like Brak´s aesome armor

Posted Image

if i were you i would try using some other techniques plus/on yours...

i think the result would be very dirty but with a minor painted look!

just my 10 cent on this...

and the most important thing... the weathering is perfect if YOU like it!

it´s your armor, so go for it like you want!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Trenton,

I'm not some self-proclaimed "weathering master", and I have to give you an "A" for effort, but like it's been said before (in rather RUDE Germanic fashion ) it seems you should get away from the "spray paint" look and right now in all honesty, it looks like it's been sitting in an autobody shop getting tinkered with. If you keep coating, stripping and recoating your gear long enough the plastic is going to weaken to the point that all you'll have is a pile of poop on your hands and I would HATE to see that happen to a nice guy like yourself!

Now listen, go WalMart in the arts and crafts section and get yourself FOUR different colors of acrylic paints that come in little plastic bottles with flip tops. They are CHEAP, and the colors can range from bark brown, to lighter shades of brown, even a reddish or yellowish sand color if you want, get some foam brushes too. Squeeze some of the paint (one color at a time) onto the foam brush and duab it onto the armor here and there, get it into the nooks and crannies. Let one color dry, then layer another shade here and there, let it dry, then repeat the process. Through it all keep one thing in mind... its EASIER to ADD more paint then it is to REMOVE it, so work with small amounts at a time!!!

After you have some dry layers going on take a paper towel or a shop rag before the paint "fully cures", and kinda lightly wipe off some of the paint from the high spots and other places that looks like it would get rubbed from trooping. Another thing you seriously might try is put on your armor and go outside and get REAL DIRT on it then study how that looks and replicate it with the paint. DON'T FORGET TO WEATHER THE BOOTS TOO!!!

Good luck with it Bro'!!

What I recently learned is that you should put on your first layer and let it dry. Then, spray on a little bit of Windex and rub some of the paint off. Let your armor dry. Repeat the painting process again with another layer of paint. Let that dry. Spray more Windex on and rub a little bit of that off.

I never would have thought of doing it that way, but a wise trooper here (TK412) showed me how to do it and to do it well. Here's a recent shot of me in my recently re-weathered armor (see image below).

Your armor does look like it was just spray painted as others have mentioned here, and it doesn't look at all like it's actual weathering. It looks more like camouflage than weathering. I've done the weathering process on my armor at least four different times now, but after the recent weathering it's going to stay this way for a long time. It does take practice and most don't achieve "perfection" on the first try, so keep at it and keep sharing those pictures with us. We're here to help you out.

Posted Image

As Yoda would say

"To Tony and Chris you listen to...."

If you are going for a unique effect on your armor, you are well on your way. However if you are looking to replicate the dirt and debris shown on the Stormtroopers on Tattooine, I'm afraid that is not going to cut it. Your paintjob does not look like dirt, it looks like you were going for a psychedelic effect and you kicked your bucket down the stairs. Either acrylic or tempera paints are the way to go, mix up with different earth tones to get some depth. Go as dirty or clean as you want, but put the spray paint away.

As Yoda would say

"To Tony and Chris you listen to...."

If you are going for a unique effect on your armor, you are well on your way. However if you are looking to replicate the dirt and debris shown on the Stormtroopers on Tattooine, I'm afraid that is not going to cut it. Your paintjob does not look like dirt, it looks like you were going for a psychedelic effect and you kicked your bucket down the stairs.

I thank you all for your constructive criticism. and I'll be sure to update you guys as I keep going.. I honestly started trying to get it dirty... and Posted it to see what my peers think about it ... I've shown it to all my friends they all love it I think it still needs work .. and all of your guys tips and suggestions are good help ... and In time I'll get it looking where I'm happy with it and maybe a couple of your guys to .. but most important thing is I'll get it where I'm happy with it ... I did start of by rushing it and that was my first mistake... Dose any one have any suggestions on how to do blaster shot burns?

I make carbon scoring marks by taking a piece of PVC pipe, spray paint one end flat black with Rustoleum and let it dry. Then you take the painted end and kinda do some glancing blows against the armor in random patterns and it looks pretty cool!

I make carbon scoring marks by taking a piece of PVC pipe, spray paint one end flat black with Rustoleum and let it dry. Then you take the painted end and kinda do some glancing blows against the armor in random patterns and it looks pretty cool!

Oh so my home made blaster rifle would work great then eh? give the blaster rifle damge look and the armor ...