Weathering specifics for S.W.A.T.

ukswrath

Hey all, I read in a officer approval "DONE" thread (seen below), when applying for S.W.A.T. the type of TD you are applying for (ex. "Captain Road Block v1") also requires weathering your armor specifically to that. If this is true, where exactly are these requirements listed? Now I'm only talking about weathering styles.

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

"The only thing I want to note is that if you do decide to go SWAT , the weathering may have to be altered in certain sections depending on which TD you select."

Thanks for your help

there is currently not a roadmap so to peak of the weathering layout. basically what you have to do is review the weathering patters of your specific trooper and recreate those patterns on your armor. once that is complete ad you submit for SWAT the review will start.

Hey guys thanks for getting back to me. So let's say I wanted to apply for Road Block Captain (orange paldron) S.W.A.T., which is actually what I was shooting for. Besides what is listed in the crl, you're telling me there are weathering specifics like dirt color, dirt patterns, stains and paint marks, etc also? If so, where are these specifics listed / illustrated?

Thanks for your help

Yes, the idea behind SWAT is to portray (as best as possible) an actual on-screen Sandtrooper. To look like you popped out of the screen, so to speak.

The easiest thing to do is to browse the approved SWAT applications for the trooper you want to emulate. Another, even better way is to analyze screenshots from the movie.

Well I've looked at several build threads and it appears S.W.A.T. seems to have a huge grey area when it comes to details, or IDK maybe it's up to interpretation of the approving officer? I'm probably wrong on both.

With my other (TK) armor, I'm building it straight to ANH Centurion from start to finish, of course with a stop only at EIB, my goal is to build it correct the first time. There's specifics for this, and their listed.

I guess that's what I was attempting to do with my TD.

SWAT really is a different animal. It's not so much that there is a grey area, but you really have to pay attention to the details of the trooper you are trying to emulate. Every person that goes for SWAT and gets cleared raises the bar a little bit more for the next guy. And with new details always being found, it does get a little harder everytime. Kudos to those that got for it!

I had planned on it, but I am going to enjoy my PO status for a while as I am working on a few other sets of armor for some people.

Good luck!!!

Hey Gary thanks for chiming in. Animal, that's an understatement :confused:. The part I find most frustrating is there's no weathering documentation, current standard or ongoing besides reading someone else's weathering thread. If it's changing and not documented then those up and coming (like myself) have no base besides, oops you did that wrong start over :icon_eek::salute:Weathering is time consuming and time is what I lack. For me, doing it RIGHT the first time would be optimal.

If there were something that said, "This TD looks like this, and this TD looks like this and with new information discovered, next month it will look like this". That would be awesome.

IMHO, S.W.A.T. is the Centurion of TD. The goal should be to set the standard, document it, raise the bar, repeat.

Wow, with all my complaining I should have put this in a different forum :D, sorry all, Monday blues.

Part of the problem with SWAT is that the armor, and sometimes helmets, change from scene to scene so it is kinda hard to set a "standard" Plus, depending on what version of the movie you have, some details get lost. Seems your letting yourself get a bit overwhelmed by SWAT!

My advice: Pick your trooper, build it in that fashion best you can. You gotta have PO status first anyway. During that process, things will be pointed out to you that if you choose to go SWAT, this and that will have to be changed or added, or subtracted. I have seen it enough times in my fairly short time here. I had high hopes for SWAT, and I will do it someday, but right now, after getting through the sheer task of finishing the armor and making it to PO, I am gonna enjoy it a while, while I work on other armor for a few people I know before I tackle that "animal" :)

Also, if you look at all the SWAT guys now, even if they are approved same trooper, there are differences. New things are seen all the time. It is impossible to replicate it exactly. They are just really close facsimilties to that trooper. Hard to nail down a single standard for that. You just have to meet the requirements as close as you can. Just look through some of the PENDING and DONE SWAT submissions.....

With Centurion you are meeting a standard cause they are all the same. Weathering changes the WHOLE game!!!!

Anyway, hope this helps....

Baron

Ya man, don't let it overwhelm you. the standards are always being elevated with every submission. new levels of accuracy and reference material are showing up all the time. That being said, when you put it all together we might miss a splotch of dirt here or there or we

might notice it....then you add. The fun is in the build and the process....not crossing the finish line. Some troopers take months to get it done....others out of the gate have been approved within weeks. Have fun with it and set the challenge for yourself to replicate as close

to screen as possible and the badge will come on its own

Hi Anthony,

I agree with the overall sentiment you are receiving here from the other members... don't fret about the weathering too much. For me, it was the most fun. The goal for SWAT is to replicate your specific trooper as closely as you can by referencing screen shots, and if appropriate, other SWAT builds. You should try to reproduce the texture, pattern, and color of the weathering as best as you can, and then be open to suggestions.

Although it might seem like we are asking you for "absolute perfection", there is plenty of room for personal interpretation. For example, although most use acrylic paints to weather, I was able to accomplish it with colored tile grout (and a touch of Tunisian sand). Ultimately, our goal is not to tear you apart, but to help and support you in your build.

Enjoy the process... we're here to help!

Hey thanks, all of you, for the encouragement and I apologize for going over the top. Funny thing, after my last post I called my wife to vent and she replied "Really!? Time for decaf. IT'S A COSTUME", I laughed, oh yea :D

I've decided to leave it as is, if I change my mind then I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Here's me and this Mrs last weekend. Soon as I get my pack I'll submit. Until then troop time :td:IMG_5529.jpg

That is how you need to look at it ultimately. Looking at your picture above, your kit looks awesome. Weathering looks great man. Get a pack and submit for PO, the rest will fall into place.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd break in on this chatter... B)

Yes, weathering for SWAT is sort of annoying because there AREN'T standards set. Maybe one day there will be... but we just haven't had enough guys do it yet to make it happen.

When/IF you do it you'll just have to give reference.

The good thing about it is that if you're told, "You need to do blah blah blah on the helmet to match this picture..." and you can say, "Actually I was going off this picture." and it's accurate to what you used for reference then there's nothing that can be said to argue it.

The weathering is the last detail — the icing on the cake, the coup d'etat, the final flourish. It's not the end all be all, but it is needed.

Until then, like you said, enjoy your armor!
It's killer and you look GREAT and that's all that REALLY matters!

Who knows... if I get back into leadership maybe I'll make another level of awards — something like a secret fraternal order of policemen where weathering doesn't matter but you have to steal the mascot from the FISD. :Dhaha