Where to start?

Nasuki3

Okay, so, I will start off by apologizing if I have overlooked the info I am trying to find, but after spending about 3 days digging around everywhere, I just have no clue where to start. I should say that I would definitely like to be part of the 501st, and also the MEPD possibly. I want to build a suit but I have no clue where to start. I have seen the guidelines that 501st has on suits, and how they must meet certain requirements for different level certifications, so I know that I can't get in with some cheap suit that no time was spent on. But the closest I have come to this is working on a Pepakura helmet based off of a Spartan helmet from Halo. So, where, or should I say, how, do I start? Do I need to purchase a kit or something of the likes that comes with most of the parts, which I have seen a few of, or am I supposed to hand make all of this stuff..? And if I do need to buy a kit, what would an overall guesstimate be on the price? My reason for asking is that I don't want to pay X and have to do a lot myself vs paying maybe a little more than X and having less to do. I'm up for creating this, but I don't want to spend a lot on something and end up screwing it up since it's my first go. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi!

First of all welcome to the mepd and the 501st legion! Head over to the introduction forum and let us know a bit about you.

There are very few among us that create their armors entirely by themselves. Partly because vac-forming is a pain and the cost would be high but mainly because there are so many awesome armors already out there ready to be bought. The first step and the main step throughout this hobby would be to research. Everyone here can tell you that is the most important part without comparison. Here on the mepd forum we discuss everything TD related but to get a TD you must first build a TK so if you're a beginner the fisd (First imperial stormtrooper detachment) is the place to be to do you´r research. there are hundreds of builds and information posts that will lead you in the right direction and on the path to an awesome armor. Remember thought that it will take many hours of hard work and researching before you stand beside us with an awesome armor. It is a hard task but believe me that when you are standing there in your approved armor for the first time you will look back and realize that this was the best thing that ever happened :woot: .

Good luck with everything and if you have any more questions feel free to ask, The guys here are very helpful :thumbsup:

Echo that, I'm on my phone right now but later at night will provide you with trust worthy TD stuff.

Basically it all comes to 3 things:

1. Do yo want to be a Captain, Sargent or Private?

2. Answered that are you planning to weather your own TD and build? If so your aiming for Deployed Police Officer Status.

3. If you want to emulate an exact TD in every way then your aim is SWAT. Prior to that you must clear Police Officer Status.

These 3 points combined will help you out what kind of gear, pauldron, marmit pack and blaster you'll have, as well as the budget for it.

My advice try to build your own TD along with the research and aid from our very own most friendly and strict Detachment on earth. Why? Because you will have to measure thice and cut and glue once to make a snug fit. Besides, it's not the most comfortable armor on earth but sure is one of the most jaw dropping characters once you see one.

So the satisfaction on the build and your clearance from the MEPD is one of the highest achievements and honors you'll get in the 501st. ;)

Hey Eric,

the first thread you have to read is this one http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

you can contact most of the vendors via the fisd-forum. Only RS has an official homepage.

If i'm right (please correct me my friends), just RS (just ANH) and TM deliver kits and finished suits (i prefer the kits).

If you are ready to place an order, you have to say what kind of armor do you like. a TK or a TD (sorry Adam but it's wrong to build up a TK first if you want a TD;-) )

You also need shoes, gloves, undersuit, pauldron, fieldpack and a weapon....

Hi!

First of all welcome to the mepd and the 501st legion! Head over to the introduction forum and let us know a bit about you.

I will definitely get to that. Combed through the forums some, but I overlooked that.

Basically it all comes to 3 things:

1. Do yo want to be a Captain, Sargent or Private?

2. Answered that are you planning to weather your own TD and build? If so your aiming for Deployed Police Officer Status.

3. If you want to emulate an exact TD in every way then your aim is SWAT. Prior to that you must clear Police Officer Status.

Difference between Captain, Sergeant, and Private is mainly the pauldron color, correct? Orange, white, then black, respectively. I'd also assume a a rank designated on the the ears of the helmet, from what I have read, though I could be wrong there. To answer that, I am most likely going for SWAT. I am going to be trying to get level 3 certification through the 501st, so I don't see why it'd hurt to put a bit more work into it when I'm already doing so much.

Hey Eric,

the first thread you have to read is this one http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

you can contact most of the vendors via the fisd-forum. Only RS has an official homepage.

If i'm right (please correct me my friends), just RS (just ANH) and TM deliver kits and finished suits (i prefer the kits).

If you are ready to place an order, you have to say what kind of armor do you like. a TK or a TD (sorry Adam but it's wrong to build up a TK first if you want a TD;-) )

You also need shoes, gloves, undersuit, pauldron, fieldpack and a weapon....

I have been through there a few times. I contacted Rob with the RT armor, but he believes that his armor would probably not suit me best as I am too small. Being just shy of 5'5" and 115 pounds on a good day, I can see why. I have made my way to the RS homepage, and, I'm not sure about the price there. That's mainly because out of all of the vendors I've seen two with actual prices, MTK (on Ebay) and RS (on their page). As for finished suits, it'd be nice, but I can make them myself (he says hesitantly). I just don't want to screw up and cut to short or glue and then realize it's wrong. Really the only thing I'd want assembled if doable would be the helmet, but I think I could do that myself as well.

I found this site, http://www.tkryno.com/, which details a guy who makes his armor, and it has been a bit helpful. After some searching I found out he made it and became a 501st member.

I am about to start contacting the other vendors after I post this, but, is there any particular make of armor that people prefer over the other? I just don't want to get one armor when a different set works better during conversion or something along the lines of this.

Next, I apologize for the delay in my response, and I apologize if I've put this in the wrong area or anything. This is my first time on a forum where I found myself in the situation that a post would do me well so this is the first time I've actually done it. So I'm still kind of bumbling around trying to get the feel for it. I do appreciate the help you guys are giving me though. MEPD seems extremely polite and kind so far and that makes me want to be a part of it that much more.

One last thing, is there a major difference between Stunt and Hero? I know that the eyes, gloves, and where the holster attaches are different, and I'm sure there are other minor differences, but is it better to be one over the other?

(By saying that TD is the same as a TK i simply meant that asembling and puting rivets and cutting the parts etc are litteraly the same thus fisd is a better place for that since they have more members and thread. Personaly I prefer mepd but for the basics it's a good start. But ofcourse you are right there are diferences in the armor sorry for making it unclear :) )

you came to the right place for assistance man. Our team of Sandtroopers here are the best in the world. Take it slow and look at what you want out of your gear.....something super accurate or something basic and fun to wear to events. then review the type of trooper you want to emulate and go from there. We are always here to help

No problem Adam;-)

Ok Eric, the HP of tkRyno is really nice BUT it's just one how to! Thats not enough (my thoughts). In the fisd there are so many WIPs..you can choose the best method and picture out of them to build your armor in the right way. You can also start your own WIP with step-by-step pictures. There are enough troopers out there which will help you.

Your question about the differences between stunt and hero isn't relevant if you want to build a TD. Sandtroopers are only stunt troopers;-)

And you are right! You are not Hightower (i don't know but this was the name of one of the recruits in the movie

'police acadamy':-) )

RS and TM (troopermaster) are really the same about the measurements. Both fits perfectly between 5'8 and 6'' troopers. But it doesn't really matter that you are "just" 5'5! You have to trimm some parts a little bit more. You have to take your time. That's important! Easy not fast.

I would say that the TM is better for beginners. Some parts are sharper (?) then the RS.

About the pricing: you have to invest round about 1000€, just for a kit and some materials like glue. Thats a lot of money for plastic but if you make some troops you will realize that every cent is a good invest.

Have fun in the research and cheers,

Felix

you came to the right place for assistance man. Our team of Sandtroopers here are the best in the world. Take it slow and look at what you want out of your gear.....something super accurate or something basic and fun to wear to events. then review the type of trooper you want to emulate and go from there. We are always here to help

Is it possible to get the best of both worlds so to say? I'm rather picky and if something were off, I'm sure many people wouldn't notice it, but it'd still irk me some. But if I were to have to sacrifice some accuracy for comfort, I'd probably do that. As for the type of troop, I do believe I will be going with the Cantina Captain.

No problem Adam;-)

Ok Eric, the HP of tkRyno is really nice BUT it's just one how to! Thats not enough (my thoughts). In the fisd there are so many WIPs..you can choose the best method and picture out of them to build your armor in the right way. You can also start your own WIP with step-by-step pictures. There are enough troopers out there which will help you.

Your question about the differences between stunt and hero isn't relevant if you want to build a TD. Sandtroopers are only stunt troopers;-)

And you are right! You are not Hightower (i don't know but this was the name of one of the recruits in the movie

'police acadamy':-) )

RS and TM (troopermaster) are really the same about the measurements. Both fits perfectly between 5'8 and 6'' troopers. But it doesn't really matter that you are "just" 5'5! You have to trimm some parts a little bit more. You have to take your time. That's important! Easy not fast.

I would say that the TM is better for beginners. Some parts are sharper (?) then the RS.

About the pricing: you have to invest round about 1000€, just for a kit and some materials like glue. Thats a lot of money for plastic but if you make some troops you will realize that every cent is a good invest.

Have fun in the research and cheers,

Felix

I agree, it was a bit lacking on detailed info, and I have seen some really good how to's on the FISD forums as well. As for the height, I am not and never will be Hightower. lol. But I am looking at getting some of those soles that increase your height, just so I am a bit taller and match the 5'6" 5'7" troopers better. And yea, it is quite a bit to drop on a bunch of plastic, but, I have always thought it'd be awesome to be a Trooper, and now that I have found out that there is actually a legion and sub groups of people that do this, I want to be part of it, and I think that it is entirely worth it to be helping people (through the donations the 501st generates for charities) or just showing up with a group of Troopers to make an impression.

I've done quite a bit of research (imo), and I came down to deciding between RS and AP. I myself couldn't tell much of a difference (I won't say I'm great, but I've gotten to where I can tell roughly when armor is rather good and when it has been slapped together and is low quality), so I very well may have missed some of the finer aspects, but, I think I'm just going to go with a standard TD for now, as it is a just a bit cheaper, so I'm good with it. I believe I will be getting an AP TD set, and I'm contemplating having the kit sent to the guy that Mark works with to assemble and weather the suit for me. I know it's not the same as making it yourself, but I plan on making another suit in the future, and I'm probably going to go with Commander Deviss or a 327th Star Corps. Trooper, and I will be doing everything but making the kit myself there hopefully. I do have one question though about weathering. Assuming I do have somebody else do it for me, but I then later wanted to apply for S.W.A.T. status (assuming everything goes well and I make 501st approval and Officer status), could I strip the weathering and redo it to be character specific? Or am I locked in to that weathering, so to say. And all of this may change. I may assemble it entirely myself. I'm to the point that I WILL be getting a kit and becoming a TD, just a matter of time and what I do myself. Personally, what do you guys think about having it assembled by somebody else? If you don't mind me asking. And again, I greatly appreciate how helpful and kind everyone is here. It seems like a great thing to be a part of.

We don't see with wrong eyes if somebody builds or weathers a TD for you. The only drawback on this is that you risk your armor to fit and snug to your body. Might be kinda of loose or to tight is the risk you might face. Unless you have an experience trooper who by your side measures up to 3 times and glues and trims for you then go for it.

As for the weathering on SWAT status, yes you must emulate in every way the dirty pattern. Different as Police Officer were you do your own version. If I don't misunderstand it makes no sense in reaching SWAT status and then do your on Police Version. Should be the other way around.

What you could do is is achieve Police Status, downgrade the weathering and match up for SWAT

What you could do is is achieve Police Status, downgrade the weathering and match up for SWAT

See, that is what I am thinking of doing, or weathering on my own, I just wasn't sure if you can strip the weathering since I'm not familiar with it. It's one of the only things I actually haven't looked into yet, so I probably should. But I was going to go for SWAT first because I assume SWAT eligible armor would be Police eligible armor, but since I'm not locked into the weathering that goes on first, so it would seem at least?, I will do that most likely.