New TD looking for advice. All advice is welcome :-)

Hermanator

I am building a new TD with the SWAT status as my primary goal, and my secondary goal is to have interchangeable pieces to look like various other non-SWAT troopers. I am currently undecided on the specific character I am following, but I know that I want either an orange or white trooper1 pauldron (unless someone has a better one, his is best I have seen). I am still looking thru the photos on this site and watching the movie scenes on replay (boring lol). I am going with an RS props fully loaded kit that I will assemble using the accurate strapping method. Unsure of PVC or ABS yet. They both flex a lot, abs can be repaired smoother and is more offwhite, pvc is supposably more durable.. but I have seen mixed reviews on this.

Also note that I will be trooping outdoors in the sunshine state. I am open to any and all suggestions based on your experiences. :-)

I guess my biggest questions are:

Who makes great quality pouches (saw the two in ongoing sales)?

Who makes great quality BIG guns, are they hollow for electronics and how much do they weigh?

What methods of weathering have achieved the best accuracy?

What has been the best backpack strapping system for you? i want padded, but hidden, straps. Thinking the straps off a padded rifle sling would be nice, but pricey.

Which big blasters are the hardest to troop with. some look more awkward to carry than others.

Advice on things other than whats mentioned?

Hi!

Right now in the beginning I would say that the best thing would be to take it slow and research. I can see that you are of to a great start and seem to know a lot already.

Moving on to the questions. First of I got my pouches from Blaster 8266 (he sells them here) and they are great. I havenät purchased a blaster yet but In the future I will most likely buy it from "The guy that makes real awesome T-21 blaster with electronics" (I forgot the name :turned: ). Again I havenät weathered my armor yet but what weathering is the best depends mainly on your personal touch and appeal. personally i like the oily kind (pandatroopers tutorial). I haven't purchased a pack yet either so I can't fill that in and lastly I believe it is harder the heavier and larger the blaster is which means that E-11 is the easiest and T-21 and DLT-19 the hardest. Hope it helps :yes:

(Also I just realized how much I have left :yucky: )

Thanks Adam! I will have to check out the weathering tips from Panda. I am experienced using Spray paint weathering, sanding and scraping paint, and using my own acrylic SAND WASH in a spray bottle. The latter is one of my favorites for general sandy dusty look, but it doesnt leave a gritty dirt look. Honestly, I dont know how movie TDs ended up so brown, gritty, and muddy in areas. I live by the beach, and sand doesnt behave that way with or without water lol. So they must play in mud, and then in sand. :-)

Anyway, back on topic.. i just held my buddys DLT 19 made of PVC and wood.. WOW that is lightweight It was easily less than 5 lb, probably more like two or three. It was like carrying a wooden broom, but longer.. Super long lol. I think I will end up with some sort of wood, plastic, and pvc build... Possibly some aluminum, for my big blaster. Would love a rubber one with aluminum tube inside for electronics like RS is making for E11s.

Im currently converting an E-11 from a deactivated sterling. Weighs about 7 lb.. Not bad to carry without armor. Everyone says its too heavy to troop with because of the armor irritating you. I will certainly try it first though. i like having some heft to my blasters.. But those big ones need to be light lol.

Hey there bro!

Will try to give you some hints and answers here:

Weathering, follow the single pigment techinique developed by Sir Dave. Also, Pandatrooper has a great approach on his technique.

The most important thing is to have one single brown color applied in several layers to give it an organic look.

The best bfg to troop for me is the E11, not a BFG but the best gun for trooping. Other than that, the most uncomfortable is the MG15. The Biggest and there for coolest is the T21. so... it is a matter of personal likes I guess.

Best pouches? For me, the real ones are the best. Talking about the spanish and the canvas one. But they are difficult to get by lately. So, you can chose for the vetted makers here on the forum.

Pack strapping, I use an old school pack straps. Padded and with a sternum strap. Very comfortable.

Hope that helps.

Saludos.

Whoa, muchas gracias Juan! That's extremely helpful!! Thank you!! :) i don't have lots of time to stroll these boards cuz my work computer blocks this site, the tapatalk app doesn't work, and very busy at home. So these concise experienced posts help a whole lot and help get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

Sounds like you are off and running bro. As far as wear hung is concerned I would offer the idea of baseball rubbing mud. It's what I use and gives a really organic single pigment look. Also if decide you want to change the patterns you can remove it. I tried a lot if techniques and found my favorite with the mud.