Bellows looking thing for the backpack REVEALED

trooperexpert

When doing research for the MDK pack we realized that MUCH of this pack was from a vacuum, like a shop vac or something. I am still convinced that many of the parts are vacuum related. But the bellows I am not so sure is that hamberger dealie.

I am still thinking it was made from a test-ball plug. Finding a vintage 70's one is hard. Test Ball plugs can be inflated and deflated, hence the reason some of them look different in the movie. Here is what I am talking about.......

Below that are some MDK pack versions of this. made in hyperfirm rubber. We made each layer and glued them together (15 layers in all if I remember correctly) and sanded the holy heck out of it to make the master.

Posted Image

MDK parts....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just because the radar dish was tupperware doesn't mean all parts were. Of course some probably were. LIke the rounded tupperware cups, etc.

We made the Filter unit from scratch to look like the Marrmit. I think the original was made from 3 to 6 seperate vacumm (shop vac) parts. It fits snuggly right onto the "plunger" part (as so many call it)

Posted Image

I am thinking of maybe selling a few of the two parts together as one full "MVF Unit" soon.

I think maybe one pack I have seen has this plunger thing, but the rest are clearly the tupperware hamburger storage stackers. The bttom lip is not even evident on the plumbing thingamajigger.

My silly thoughts for the day.. well, there will be more... sure of it..

Matt/STE

I think maybe one pack I have seen has this plunger thing, but the rest are clearly the tupperware hamburger storage stackers. The bttom lip is not even evident on the plumbing thingamajigger.

Matt/STE

I have silly thoughts all day long, too... but If I verbalized or wrote them down for all to read... I think they'ed lock me away in a padded room. Sure of it.

THe hamburger stacker looks pretty darn close to some of the pics I've seen as well. Having worked in props for a couple years, I know that original used stuff hen kit bashing isn't always available. And alternatives need to be found. Now-a-days prop people jsut make the item in question. (take the Riddick breather for example. Not made from an Accuhaler, but modeled after one and made from aluminum and more.)

I think TE might have something with the idea that maybe they used both. After all TE has done EXTENSIVE research on all things trooper. Now if he'd only spend equal time on time travel machines, and we could just go back and find out! lol.

Just make sure the time machine runs on biodiesel. So, am I the only one who thinks the some of the bellows could possibly be a combo of the burger stack & the top of a ball plug?

"...the world may never know."

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Matt/STE

"Clearly" the hamburger stackers? I will admit, I don't have every sandtrooper image in existance, but I have quite a few and I don't have any that would clearly substantiate the hamburger stacker theory. Since you seem to have a number that show it, please feel free to post them and I will jump on the hamburger stacker bandwagon as well, but for now, I do not see any that appear to be made from this item even though they are roughly similar.

• 1 month later...

Which hamburger stacker are most of you referring to? There were two different sizes produced: 4" diameter and 5" diameter.

I'm on the fence as far as whether these were what was actually used on the originals, but they certainly look close enough for me to use them on my pack.