Would you PAY to troop?

Doc

Hi everyone, I very new to the legion and have spent the 2012/13 finishing my TD. Eager to troop, with my brand new armor on the brink to approval I stumbled over some info about the famous troop in Legoland, Billund, Denmark.

In the info it said that troopers "had to pay a fee to get into the troop." I don´t know the details ref. to the fee (prize/why), BUT the concept of paying to do charity yells "WRONG" in every way. My intensions for joining were to raise money for sick children.... Not work for a big company for free, and paying for aswell?

Should not LEGO donate money to the Legion? Not the other way around?

Troopers pay for all the expences themselves, traveling, accomidation, etc. LEGO gets allot of free working professional extras wich they use extensivly to raise ticket sales.

This smells like a bad deal, were people in suits exploits the welldoing of people in cooler suits.

What do you guys think?

In many troops you are required to pay the entry fee to the event.

Specially fan oriented as cons.

Remember there are a few kinds of troops. Some of the are aimed to get resources / money to donate and help.

Some others like cons are oriented to simply celebrate SW.

I attended CIV in LA and even if I had to work for the 501st activities and served as security for a couple of the main con organization (eg. Security for the Slave Leias picture with Jabba. ) I and every other trooper there paid full ticket to go in.

And that applies to several events around the globe.

Not all events are charity. Not sell 501st activities are oriented towards charity. Just remember what you are in for when choosing troops.

:)

Saludos.

Hi everyone, I very new to the legion and have spent the 2012/13 finishing my TD. Eager to troop, with my brand new armor on the brink to approval I stumbled over some info about the famous troop in Legoland, Billund, Denmark.

In the info it said that troopers "had to pay a fee to get into the troop." I don´t know the details ref. to the fee (prize/why), BUT the concept of paying to do charity yells "WRONG" in every way. My intensions for joining were to raise money for sick children.... Not work for a big company for free, and paying for aswell?

Should not LEGO donate money to the Legion? Not the other way around?

Troopers pay for all the expences themselves, traveling, accomidation, etc. LEGO gets allot of free working professional extras wich they use extensivly to raise ticket sales.

This smells like a bad deal, were people in suits exploits the welldoing of people in cooler suits.

What do you guys think?

Hi Lars.

I have never troop in Legoland as i fell they exploit us a armor in some way... :pinch:

As we have to pay for transport, hotel, food, drink etc our self, while they use us on there web site.

they make a good income for family´s coming to legoland to see us, the family´s pay to get in, use money on food, toys etc. Plus we use money there as well.

I´m sure Legoland makes a lot of money around those days we are there, i would liked to have just the transport covered.

I have not been joining this event, so i don´t know the details of it 100%.

Once there was a big socail Legoland bus, picking troop´s up from Copenhagen/the capital of Denmark driving people in bus for free to Legoland. But not this time sadly...

So i hear you 100% trooper, but i guess sometimes "we" have to pay to be social and have fun...

But in this Legoland case it might be a bit out of line.

Best regards from here, maybe i see you some day to a troop :thumbsup:

Hm, we feel the same way, I guess. Guess I stay away from those type of events then... Hope to see you too Rolf, you have some GREAT looking armor!

What you dont know about the Legoland event is that we get to put up a charity stand (shoot a trooper) plus last year got around 70 boxes of LEGO that we handet out, to kids that was hospitalised, so its not all bade i guess

i hear you loud and clear lars,

i think its safe to say this only happens at big events,that to be honest im not

all that interested in!

i prefer the smaller troops(i feel less pressure and more relaxed)

although i must say i trooped legoland uk which was awsome and we didnt pay to get in.

also they went out there way to make us welcome,fed and watered us too lol!

they also made a large donatoin and also offered each trooper a small ammount of money

towards travel and costs. :yes:

shame that denmark didnt do the same!

choose your troops wisely people!! :thumbsup:

Hi everyone, someone informed me that the fee was set by troopers themselves to rent a cabin nearby for social aftertroop events. Sorry that it made me jump to conclusions. :confused:

There are definitely events out there that would require troopers to pay for. We all know this hobby isn't a cheap one lol but it really comes down to what the money is going to. If you've got someone requiring very specific times and activities from you then you shouldn't have to pay. If you are just celebrating your love for Star Wars and showcasing your gear, then you probably should. Sometimes an event will charge but all the money directly goes to the charity or towards specific accommodations for the garrison.

As someone who spoke often to the LCO the last couple years. Everyone is correct. To be exact.. Any troop like a Con where we, the 501st, are not being exclusively exploited, we are charged an entry fee just like everyone else. Example: dragon con, comic con, Celebrations, and such.

Any event where we, the 501st are advertised/ exploited, we are not supposed to be paying a fee for entry. In fact, last I heard, is that Lucas expected us to be compensated for our work. (That was a couple years ago) NOW, let me explain.

Compensated could be many things. Food and water provided, hotel provided, entry provided, changing areas provided, and yes, sometimes compensation for time. Just as many have been out Hollywood way. (Deal or no deal TV show and others)

We are a charity organization, but over the past years, some companies have learned how to exploit us and make money at the same time. This has decreased in many areas overtime, and doesn't occur as often in many areas.

Now as for charity events, YES! We do them for free, because that is our primary goal. We will go to the ends of the galaxy for our kids! We do Cons for fun and fellowship with each other. Just my 1 cents! Lol

Our Garrison gets invited every year as well and a small delegation travels to legoland each year. So in a way we already pay for the troop because we travel; there by car..

But that's just part of the job, we're in it for a good time and that's worth every penny for me.