Armour Strapping

Elegance

Hi gents,

Im thinking of changing my armour strapping which is currently a s mish-mash of different elastics/poppers.

The snap/popper way is what I think is most common but was thinking of using quick release plastic clips like on backback straps instead and wondered if theres a reason its not more wildy used, or am I wrong?

thanks

Neil

To start with the straps from the back kidney plate over the shoulders to the ab plate, from the bottom of the chest plate to the top of the ab plate. Also the side of the back ab plates to the front one.

Im fairly happy with the thighs which are attached via leather belt with straps to the inside of them which are rivited on, I may update this at some point to black weebing though with elastic to the thighs.

I also use a few clips as well as snaps. Check my SWAT application if you need to see some pics.

As for the backpack, definitely use the plastic clips, it makes it sooo much easier to put on/take off at events. ;)

I have been recommending a snap - strapping system with our kits (T/MC) for many years.

Here are some pics from our tutorial :) I Hope this helps you in the decision making process. It's good to research, ask questions, and get opinions from several different sources who used different techniques.

Keep in mind this is from a Stormtrooper tutorial, not a Sandtrooper so a few things will be slightly different but at least, hopefully it will give you some new ideas :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tray actually came up with this idea of using the phillips screwdriver back in the day when he was in our garrison :)

I strongly recommend it!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, if you are buying snaps, you need to make sure you get a good brand. I don't know where you are but if you are in the US. do not buy snaps from Wal-mart, Jo-Anns fabric, Hobby Lobby, Ace Hardware etc. their snaps are really expensive and poor quality at the same time.

I have been building kits for many years and I have only had a couple of snaps pull through the webbing in that time. I've never had one fail. The key is to buy good snaps though! My TK armor has been through the Rose Parade, in the movie "Paul".. both of which were very rigorous events and I never had any problems. My wife and friends in the Mountain Garrison who have used my system haven't had problems either. Now I take that back. If you are (how to say this nicely) a more bulky body type there is a chance of having troubles but that can happen with velcro as well. Body type always influences these things unfortunately.

If you can get to a Tandy leather or order from them online they have good quality snaps. Also Rochfordsupply.com has great quality snaps! I get them in bulk from those folks.

Again, this is just my method so it's not a "do it this way or else" sort of thing ;)

Also, these pics are for a Stormtrooper tutorial so a few things are a little different from the assembly for a sandtrooper. Hopefully I will be updating a sandtrooper tutorial in the coming weeks.

I hope it helps.

Best of luck!

Cal