Darth Aloha is Running for FISD DL

DarthAloha

Aloha kakou,

Most of you know me as your friendly neighborhood MEPD web host. Seeing as many of you dirty mongrels also keep a set of clean armor on hand I want to announce here that I am running for Detachment Leader (DL) of the 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (FISD.) I have been active member of the senior staff of FISD for over a year. You may know me as the FISD Chief Tactical Officer or the web host guy. I have a record of working easily with disparate international groups and I avoid drama through mutual understanding and consensus building.

The only approved 501st Imperial Legion costume I own is a TK. I sport an EIB approved RT-MOD kit because I’m too tall to be a stormtrooper. I had never been a fan of Halloween or costumes until I purchased a crappy rubies Vader and wore it with flowery board shorts, flip flops, and a lei. The excited look on kids' faces that Halloween had me hooked from the very moment I stepped onto the street. There was no stopping me from joining the 501st to enjoy a larger community of like-minded Star Wars nuts and to be able to help others while doing it. In my personal life I try to be of service to my community as much as possible. The 501st lets me do that at the same time as being a real life action figure.

Beyond ensuring that TKs old and new always look their best, my goals for 2013 are as follows:

• Continue with the charter to maintain the FISD sense of inclusiveness and "Troopers Helping Troopers" for new and existing TKs.
  • Add more entries to the TiKipedia that houses reference information for every TK armor part in the CRL.
  • Create an incentive program to encourage existing TKs to update their costume to current basic standards.
  • Work with the GMO to improve the base CRL to align it with modern armor construction and availability.
  • Implement a formal attaché program to educate local garrisons about various TK related construction methods and costume requirements.
  • Create a CRL change policy that ensures updates to the TK CRLs are voted and implemented properly and with transparency.
  • Bring back the staff position of Detachment Armorer.
Here is a list of my accomplishments while on the FISD staff:
  • Maintained a tutorials database for TK related HOWTOs including a beta of the TiKipedia reference guide.
  • Along with other forum admins, implemented photo reference gallery with 2,400 screen capture and reference imagery
  • Created photo reference checklists for both Expert Infantry and Centurion applicants.
  • Rewrote the Expert Infantry and Centurion application guidelines with photo examples of each CRL requirement.
  • Installed and maintained content management system to allow for mission statement and "about" FISD web pages.
  • Two-time winner of Trooper of the Month for my contributions to FISD.
Why should you vote for me?

FISD Experience - I was asked to be on the FISD staff nearly a month after my TK approval. For over a year I have been maintaining the FISD website and its forum software. During my time on the FISD staff I have been involved with the inner workings of the detachment and have had my hand in the likes of policy setting and CRL changes.

Leadership - If elected I intend to set clearly communicated priorities for FISD. I will create specific goals to achieve those priorities and, when necessary, delegate related tasks to a dedicated group of staff members. Along the way those priorities will be revisited and goals adjusted accordingly. I am a hands-on leader and feel confident in jumping into the role of any of my staff members if need be. In my non-TK life I have been a team lead and manager of technical people for 13 years. I understand that to build a successful team a leader must surround himself with a trusted group of very smart people.

Vigilance - As most of you know I am an active member of the FISD forums. For the past two years I have followed nearly every thread and read almost all posts in a daily basis. My contributions are visible not only by the forum features I have added, but my posts as well.

Transparency - It is vital to me that the entire detachment knows what our priorities are. Communication must be clear and consistant across the board. Additionally everyone on staff should know what the DL is doing and why. As much as possible information about the running of the detachment must be posted on the forum. Back channel communication for important matters will not be tolerated.

Professionally, I operate, test, deploy, (break) and maintain ocean going robots for a living. In past lives I have been a system administrator for enterprise class unix systems, a wood boat builder, and yacht crew. Personally, in my spare time I scuba dive, paddle 6 man hawaiian outrigger canoes competitively and scurry about my wood shop pretending to build furniture. I live on the Big Island of Hawai'i at 3100 ft elevation in the town known to most (except the US post office) as Waimea. I am happily married to a very patient woman. We have a 2 year old boy and a mangy lovable mutt.

Mahalo for your consideration.

-Eric

Before nominations were over I asked Ingrid who she was voting for. She said Eric and I said awesome! So, you've got my vote as well!

I knew Ingrid would come in handy sooner than later. She's the best, no?

Don't tell anyone but I secretly have a set of clean armour under my bed so I will vote for you Eric.

But I will like to know if you are elected the FISD DL, will you still be in charge of our web stuff?

**** straight. I'll continue to serve as the web host for IOC Mepd sld and FISD ;)

Many thanks for everyone's support.

-Eric

Guest Locitus

Don't tell anyone but I secretly have a set of clean armour under my bed so I will vote for you Eric.

But I will like to know if you are elected the FISD DL, will you still be in charge of our web stuff?

**** straight. I'll continue to serve as the web host for IOC Mepd sld and FISD ;)

Many thanks for everyone's support.

-Eric

And should he be completely overburdened you can always ask me to help. I know a thing or two about IPB and hosting since I am already helping Eric on FISD and am the backup server admin in case things break while Eric is asleep (the benefit of living 11 timezones apart) . :)