Armor Drama

Purplehaze

Hi everyone,

I am chasing some opinions on the various armor. I have been on the waiting list for an AM kit for about 6 months & unfortunatly recived an email the other day saying that they have had major issues with thier new moulds, & are not sure when they they will start production. so my question is, i have placed myself on the waiting list for ATA (another 6 months) & am also waiting to here back from RT-Mod. of these 2 kits which is better suited to someone who is 6ft & 110 kilos (240 Pounds). I must say i was really looking forward to the AM kit & was hoping for a Christmas Delivery as it is driving me NUTS being on this forum reading & learning every night & seeing all those deployment requests. Anyway if you could let me know what you think it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andrew.

P.S. Merry Christmas to everyone & hope you have a great new year.

Hey Andrew. Who were you using as a contact for that AM kit? There were a couple of other distributors of the AM kits.

Try contacting "MightyTank" here on the MEPD. He was selling the AM stuff for awhile. He may be able to help you if he has some kits on hand.

if I were you, I'd stay away from AM regardless of whom you'd get it from. The bobble head is a joke. My first kit was AM, and I'm slowly transferring to ATA which is really sharp. AM is like the next FX, and FX is being pushed out slowly but surly. Waiting sucks, I agree, but it's going to be worth it.

I just put up a photo to give you an idea. Check it out here. http://www.tk3425.com/?p=1840

As a proud owner of a RT TK and RT-MOD evangelist of course I say RT all the way.

However, the newly sculpted AM is slated to look much much better.... But they haven't posted pics of the new helmet assembled or of anyone in a full set of armor. The jury is still out in spite of a promising preview. I'd give AM a few months to work out the kinks.

RT-MOD is quite booked up and may not be taking orders. FYI Rob travels for work and may not respond for a few days.

What's your waist size and inseam? You might be able to get into an ATA with side shims and pick up a set of RT or TM extra long shins.

I'd say a 42 is about the max waist for an RT kit before the ab and kidney gap becomes unreasonable and in need of shimming.

-Eric

Andrew already has an EFX bucket he is modding, so he is looking for just armor at this point.

As someone who has owned and built 2 AM kits, the armor can be made to look really nice when done. We have 3 or 4 troopers with AM in my Garrison and they look great. For the larger trooper, it is definetely the way to go.

Pandatrooper did an AM Sandie a couple years back and it came out amazing. I'm sure the thread is on here somewhere.

The biggest issue I have with the current AM is the chest and back (and stay puft helmet obviously.) If you do end up getting an AM kit I would suggest modifying the back to be more screen accurate and replace the chest with an RT chest plate that doesn't have the (I'm sorry you great looking AM troopers) pointy madonna boobs. If you choose to use the AM chest and back I suggest using Pandatrooper's method to cut the shape to be more accurate.

We at FISD recommend in the Centurion (our SWAT) CRL replacing AM chest/back and certainly require applicants to modify both for Centurion.

Also... the AM shins don't go together correctly. Check out the FISD DL's tutorial for putting together the right way.

If you do go AM please please please buy yourself an ATA helmet instead.

And yes RT is more geared to the taller trooper where AM fits the wider trooper better.

Aloha,

-Eric

if I were you, I'd stay away from AM regardless of whom you'd get it from. The bobble head is a joke. My first kit was AM, and I'm slowly transferring to ATA which is really sharp. AM is like the next FX, and FX is being pushed out slowly but surly. Waiting sucks, I agree, but it's going to be worth it.

I just put up a photo to give you an idea. Check it out here. http://www.tk3425.com/?p=1840

AM IS FX. It is there newer versions. True FX armor hasnt been made since the AM was released. They now have a newer version, no bobblehead helmet but alot if it i have heard to be recast from RS so i think thats the problems they are having. This is just what im hearing an i am not claiming this as fact, but in my opinion, alot of it sure looks like RS. I know noone just sculpts a faceplate that good out of nowhere so who knows really.

Aside from that point i wanted to make, listen to the guys above, they know of what they speak. :)

AM IS FX. It is there newer versions. True FX armor hasnt been made since the AM was released. They now have a newer version, no bobblehead helmet but alot if it i have heard to be recast from RS so i think thats the problems they are having. This is just what im hearing an i am not claiming this as fact, but in my opinion, alot of it sure looks like RS. I know noone just sculpts a faceplate that good out of nowhere so who knows really.

Aside from that point i wanted to make, listen to the guys above, they know of what they speak. :)

Yeah what I meant was simply that as FISD and everyone starts to push out FX, AM will be the next on the hit list to go. So might as well just get a good kit now, instead of buying AM then having to mod it all to ****. If thats what you like to do, just get a rubies!! lol. :)

Hi Guys,

Looks like i opened a can of worms! I got a reply today from RT-MOD & his waitlist is out to 2014, so thats out for me. JOhn i will try the Guy you mentioned, but it looks like it will be ATA for me & it gives me an excuse to get of my backside drop some weight. Please tell me ATA is SWAT approvable if i decide to go Swat. Thanks for your feedback.

Andrew.

Hi Guys,

Looks like i opened a can of worms! I got a reply today from RT-MOD & his waitlist is out to 2014, so thats out for me. JOhn i will try the Guy you mentioned, but it looks like it will be ATA for me & it gives me an excuse to get of my backside drop some weight. Please tell me ATA is SWAT approvable if i decide to go Swat. Thanks for your feedback.

Andrew.

Yes ATA can be SWAT, a couple "minor" mods I was told by Scribbler. I've not asked what yet but it's nothing compared to what you'd have to do to AM.

Good choice! :thumbsup:

I'm also on the waiting list for ATA. :)

:td:

wooh dude that is a big diff i need to see stuff like that next to each other or i cant tell em apart,nice

Just to clarify, my old AM build thread on FISD was my TK (sold it to a garrison member). My Stop that Ship TD build on MEPD is an ATA HIPS kit. It's been sturdy and troops just fine, in fact I kind of abuse it and toss it in a box and have never had any cracks. The only crack was when someone knocked my helmet off a 5 foot tall shelf and the chin cracked at the thinnest part. Nothing some plastic weld and shim didn't fix. :)

I can't recommend AM anymore to be honest, so much work to get them looking right. I would suggest ATA HIPS or ABS. The new AM (NE - No Excuses I think?) is still a little ways out, and I'm not 100% sure of the sizing (exactly how big it is).

RT mod is a friend of mine too, great quality stuff. Just his real day job (pilot) keeps him busy, and his armor stuff is more of a hobby.

Just to clarify, my old AM build thread on FISD was my TK (sold it to a garrison member). My Stop that Ship TD build on MEPD is an ATA HIPS kit. It's been sturdy and troops just fine, in fact I kind of abuse it and toss it in a box and have never had any cracks. The only crack was when someone knocked my helmet off a 5 foot tall shelf and the chin cracked at the thinnest part. Nothing some plastic weld and shim didn't fix. :)

I can't recommend AM anymore to be honest, so much work to get them looking right. I would suggest ATA HIPS or ABS. The new AM (NE - No Excuses I think?) is still a little ways out, and I'm not 100% sure of the sizing (exactly how big it is).

RT mod is a friend of mine too, great quality stuff. Just his real day job (pilot) keeps him busy, and his armor stuff is more of a hobby.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your imput. I did get an email from Rob but unfortunatley I am to egar to wait until 2014 for my Armor. I am going to go with the ATA & try & drop a few pounds in the next six months before it arrives. I have asked for the TD kit minus the helmet as i have an eFX that i have done up to meet police officer requirements & if i decide to go for SWAT i will look at an appropriate helmet then (I am a Boofhead). Also I plan to follow your weathering thread as I also built my T21 following your build thread. I must say you certainly now your stuff !

Thanks Andrew.

Just adding a "FYI", last i spoke to ATA, he doesnt even make the HIPS anymore. He said the cost went up so much that ABS was only a fraction more, so he stopped offering the HIPS and only does ABS now.

Yea man Terry definitely knows his stuff!