*ACTIVATED* TD-10072 / SAND DEVIL / SWAT OFFICER #018

SAND DEVIL

@ Ben - You definitely got the stripes to fit. :woot:

A little tight in appearance. (in terms of the area you had to work with), but I really do like the hand painted feel and it works!

The tube tripe detail on the TD/TK helmet is one of the most trickiest to accomplish (when not using pre-cut decals). The fact that you attempted it shows that you understand the CRL and were willing to do anything in your ability to meet those requirements. The number of stripes has always been a topic of discussion here at the MEPD, and a few troopers have made it through these halls with different configurations, as you've probably already noted.

You've captured the spirit and accuracy of the 1970's builds while maintaining your personal touch to the project. Very commendable. Your helmet, with the rest of your modified (and updated) armor will do nothing but enhance the overall 'Movie TD' look and will fit in seamlessly with what the SWAT program is all about.

Nice work and we look forward to seeing you complete the final steps towards the Elite. Great job so far! :td::thumbsup:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Third time WAS the charm. Daniel, thank you for the advice. Worked like a charm. Now to dry, clean up edges and re weather. First thing in the AM, oh wait, it IS the AM...And I love the uneven hand painted look. Matches the tears now.

Left tube stripes (16) and even space/size:

Posted Image

Ben...my vegas brother :sweat: ...in your case because of your sds lid, you should also try to make thinner the middle stripes...these are still too thick. It will be again too much and you have again not enough space. I know you also use the masking films...but in this case you should complete draw the stripes with the pencil and then fill it with the blue paint...otherwise you don't have a chance.

Here's a pic that I show you again what I mean, that you can fix it easily...you still need a quiet hand :P:lol: --->>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65723987@N03/8457219277/

You can see on this picture I've managed, that there is space for 16 stripes B):lol:

Good luck, bro...and and don'tt despair :6::pinch::nuke::teehee:

Update:

Third time WAS the charm. Daniel, thank you for the advice. Worked like a charm. Now to dry, clean up edges and re weather. First thing in the AM, oh wait, it IS the AM...And I love the uneven hand painted look. Matches the tears now.

Left tube stripes (16) and even space/size:

Posted Image

Looooooooooooooooooooool.... :teehee:

You was a little bit faster as I with my post....ROFL :whistling:

But hey....NOW it looks really good...perfect, you done it very well, bro :duim:

Now go to the next step....

Move along :td:

@ Vince, Not sure what you mean brother? On your 2/7 post here, you called it correct. The Move Along bucket from Christie's Auction has 13 on the right and 16 on the left. Just as mine does now. I have never found a screen shot that can be counted, maybe someone has one, but it matches the auction bucket now. In the interest of harmony, I just went ahead and did it. I think SWAT has gone beyond screen accurate now. But that is what this evolving process is about. But have no fear, no more mods until Mike says something needs to change. I appreciate it though, I think you called it right and I love the new look.

@ Pete, Thanks brother. I appreciate it. Hope to be in your ranks someday. Come to far to back off it now. Man your SWAT post was beautiful, very happy for you too. Nice build and details.

@ Daniel, vielen Dank dafür, die Zeit zu bringen, um das Bild dessen zu ziehen, was Sie meinten. Das war sehr nachdenklich. Manchmal sagen Leute, dass etwas befestigt werden muss und gute Verweisungen oder Erklärungen nicht zur Verfügung stellen. Ihrig war vollkommen. Ich verstand, was Sie meinten, als wir auf dem Telefon die andere Nacht redeten, so gerade versuchte es. Sie waren absolut richtig. Sorgen Sie sich über das Springen auf dem Posten nicht, nachdem ich es befestigte. Ich bin dabei, jene Bilder irgendwie hinzuzufügen. Ich denke, dass es jemandem anderem in der Zukunft helfen könnte. Noch einmal vielen Dank für die Hilfe und Aufmerksamkeit. Gehen Sie jetzt bekommen einen Schlaf, es ist in Deutschland, und Kuss jene Kinder gute Nacht spät. Gespräch bald.

Hope I got that right.

(English translation)

Daniel, Thank you for taking the time to draw the picture of what you meant. It was very thoughtful. Sometimes people say something needs to be fixed and don't provide good references or explanations. Yours was perfect. I understood what you meant when we talked on the phone the other night, so just tried it. You were absolutely correct. Don't worry about jumping on the post after I fixed it. I am going to add those pictures anyway. I think it might help someone else in the future. Thanks again for the assistance and attention. Now go get some sleep, it is late in Germany, and kiss those kids goodnight. Talk soon.

Not for my request, but to help anyone in the future (courtesy of Daniel):

Posted Image

Ola Ben...

it was not a problem for me to draw with 'windows paint' the help for you. Sometimes pictures say more than 1000 words ;)

Hey...your german will be better :thumbsup:

Oh btw...I don't go to sleep, here in germany it's only 19:37pm :P ...but the youngest daughter (our little monster :lol: ) is already in her bed. Talk soon....always again, my friend :sweat:

@Vince: You're right...on the right side, there are 13 stripes...also in the movie. I think that also on the left side, there is the correct count of the stripes--->>16

Update:

Re-weather #3. Original was Burnt Umber acrylic paint, watered down oil and Nevada sand. I have now trooped in it many times, giving it a better 'worn' look. I also added another layer of light burnt umber and some additional spots. The AB and chest were especially light compared to the rest of the armor. Helmet with less weathering, as seen on screen. Tried to use a better camera to get the details and less of a washed out look then before. Also left flash off to help, only natural sun. It still appears much darker and dirtier in person, but think the close ups catch the details better. Please ignore the blue clamp, during weathering I broke the shoulder strap off my left shoulder and had to E-6000 again (still drying). Thank you Mike for your time sir. I look forward to your review. And thanks for the kudos on the stripes, they were a pain, but well worth it in the end. Have a great day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hi, Ben!

Your new weathering pass nailed it in my opinion. :yes:

Now to hear from the XO & CO and you should be on your way, Brother!

Great work! :td::thumbsup:

MEPD SWAT OFFICER: APPLICATION REVIEW (PART 3)

Name: Ben Anders

Legion ID #: TD-10072

Forum Name: SAND DEVIL

Garrison: Neon City

** ANH SANDTROOPER SELECTED **: ROADBLOCK CAPTAIN / "MOVE ALONG" TROOPER

I.) HELMET:

a.) Green Lenses -- CHECK

b.) Paint Color on Traps / Tears -- CHECK

c.) Number Of Teeth -- (4) Correct for Version Selected: CHECK

d.) Mic Tips -- CHECK

e.) Vocoder Color (Black) -- CHECK

f.) Tube Stripes -- CHECK

g.) Rank Bar -- CHECK

h.) Brow -- CHECK

i.) Side Screws (Ears): CHECK

j.) Weathering: CHECK

** Additional Comments --

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

** CHECKED AND CLEARED **

B.) EXECUTIVE OFFICER: (Comments Pending)

C.) COMMANDING OFFICER: (Comments Pending)

II.) Armor / Suit Details:

a.) Canvas Straps -- CHECK

b.) Neck Seal -- CHECK

c.) Black Undersuit -- CHECK

d.) Shoulder Bells -- CHECK

e.) Biceps -- CHECK

f.) Forearms -- CHECK

g.) Pauldron -- CHECK

h.) Chest / Back Plate -- CHECK

I.) Kidney / Butt Plate -- CHECK

j.) Ab Plate / Side Rivets / Cod -- CHECK

k.) Thighs -- CHECK

l.) Shins / Calves -- CHECK

m.) Sniper Plate -- CHECK

n.) Boots -- CHECK

o.) Gloves -- CHECK

p.) Hand Plates / Guards -- CHECK

q.) Ammo Belt (Waist) w/ correct Angled Edge -- CHECK

r.) Ammo Belt (Right Knee) -- CHECK

s.) Canvas Belt -- CHECK

t.) Pouches -- (2) MP-38/40 Leather Pouch / (1) MP-38/40 Canvas Pouch-- CHECK

u.) Weathering -- CHECK

v.) Crotch Snaps -- CHECK

** Additional Comments --

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

B.) EXECUTIVE OFFICER:(Comments Pending)

III.) BACKPACK: VERSION # 3 ("Move Along")

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

IV.) WEAPON: E-11

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

**MORE REVIEWS/COMMENTS COMING (X.O. and C.O.)

Thank you gentlemen. Coming from you two, that says a lot for me. Would you like me to bombard Juan with spam email, PMs, texts? Just kidding, the man works for a living. And I know he has a hard/demanding job. Sit, and don't move along. Don't move along. Sorry, poor humor. Happy to just wait and not rip something on my armor up right now.