eFX Mic Tips

Purplehaze

Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could help me out. I have just about completed the modifications to my eFX to police officer requirements, but was wondering which mic tips are except able. Trooper Bay has 2 sets (expensive & budget) & doopy also has a set. Also even though I have to change them & are happy to do so, could you let me know why, as the tips on the helmet look the same as the others & do the existing ones need to be snapped of as they look like they are glued.

Thanks Andrew.

Hey Andrew,

I have never seen the efx hovis in real life, but I am guessing they are casts or copies that lack the details on the real hovis used on the real prop. This details missing are probably the 4 line-like details on each "side" of the mic tips... Also, probably the mesh is not really the same and might be different in the way it is mounted. Just guessing here, cause I dont mhave my references at hand.

Will confirm tomorrow if somene else doesnt do it first.

About which to get, trooperbay's should be fine, also there are many makers offering them over the fisd. One pf the most respected beeing Keith. All my hovis are from him if that means something to you.

Maybe someone else can give you a more informed opinion about trooperbay's hovis... I have never handled them, but i guess they should be fine as all articles ofered there. ;)

Saludos.

Hey Andrew,

I have never seen the efx hovis in real life, but I am guessing they are casts or copies that lack the details on the real hovis used on the real prop. This details missing are probably the 4 line-like details on each "side" of the mic tips... Also, probably the mesh is not really the same and might be different in the way it is mounted. Just guessing here, cause I dont mhave my references at hand.

Will confirm tomorrow if somene else doesnt do it first.

About which to get, trooperbay's should be fine, also there are many makers offering them over the fisd. One pf the most respected beeing Keith. All my hovis are from him if that means something to you.

Maybe someone else can give you a more informed opinion about trooperbay's hovis... I have never handled them, but i guess they should be fine as all articles ofered there. ;)

Saludos.

Hi Juan,

I have attached a photo of the mic tip on the eFX helmet, they do seem to have the 4 lines/bars you mentioned (don't know if it will help), but i guess because it will be yourself & Rick who will have the final say on my eventual deployment request better to get it right the first time round.

Thanks Andrew.

post-5031-0-65673200-1352260739_thumb.jp

They have a backing to them. I'm on my iPad so I can't post pics, however take a look at this google image to see a "exploded" hovi for an idea.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stormtrooper+hovi&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g0OaUMf-J6nG0QWQ3oGwAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|61;d|KyQDzypKnVee9M:

They have a backing to them. I'm on my iPad so I can't post pics, however take a look at this google image to see a "exploded" hovi for an idea.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stormtrooper+hovi&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=g0OaUMf-J6nG0QWQ3oGwAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|61;d|KyQDzypKnVee9M:

Thanks Brad, they are stuck straight onto the helmet rather than drilled and bolted. If you look inside the helmet there are 2 half moon shapes cut into the helmet I guess for ventilation, if I have to replace them I guess I will place the threads through them and attach with washers and small bolts. I will take some internal photos of the helmet and post them.

Andrew.

No worries dude ;)

I know what you mean as i used to own one but back when they were stamped by master replica - but they were exactly the same as the efx.

Your washer and bolt idea would work easily. There's plenty of people that make correct hovi's such as Keith on the fisd (his are spot on!), trooperbay etc.

Hey Andrew,

Sorry for the delay, somehow I forgot to come back and post...

I have seen the eFX tips now, and do believe they could be modified to make them more accurate, or just put on some new more accurate ones.

The part that they are missing are the so called nipples inside. It is like the back wall inside them, just like Brad said, the base for the screw and the part that covers the head of it.

The hovis should be painted black inside and outside, but the bottom (the nipple) should be white. Also, the outer rim of the tips are white, but some TDs had them all black.

Here are a few pictures...

post-1761-0-41512200-1352822085_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-95962700-1352822091_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-13229200-1352822098_thumb.pn

post-1761-0-18928000-1352822220_thumb.jp

Also, I know Keith and some other makers have a new model, which is much more accurate, having a section cut out around the base, just like originals. So that would be a cool addition to your bucket.

Hope it helps.

Saludos.