Clarification on Pouches - All leather or all canvas?

You know FISD sends HWT's this way when it comes to pouches, right? Something about being close cousins or something lol.... :P

Anyways.... I'm looking around at some possible vendors that 'might' have some MP40 replicas for sale. So far, I've managed to find two. I've emailed to see if they have some in stock. Since I'm just waiting to hear back, I just wanted to make sure I go the correct route.

So far, I've only been able to find canvas replicas. I've read that leather goes on the waist and canvas w/tool pouch on the shoulder. Does the waist HAVE to be leather? I'm thinking I might be able to scrounge up three canvas pouches (two for waist and one for shoulder). Is this acceptable? If it's acceptable for Sandies, then it's acceptable for HWT's.

Thanks!

Patrick

Hey Patrick! Welcome to the MEPD!

Maybe now that you are here you can give it a second thought and go Sandy and not only HWT??? ;)

About the pouches, It depends on what you want. All but 1 pouch seen in ANH were leather. The one made of canvas is the shulder pouch used by the "look sir droids" trooper and also used by the "move along" one. (

Actually, I just found an interesting argument I needed a couple weeks ago about packs and pouches. Pay no attention)

So... if that is the pouch you are looking for, then you need a canvas MP38/40 pouch, with a small 4th pouch used for loading tools. That one you can find over several sites and vendors. I got mine from www.ima-usa.com Try them. It should be available no prob.

For the leather ones, you can get spanish pouches, either small, medium or large. The small ones are more common and there are actually 2 for sale threads right now on the for sale section here. You could also try the MP40 replica pouch, that is for sale here but nowhere else since it is a replica of the screen used. Or try the Stolla Wien pouch and modify them.

If you need anything else, let us know.

Will dig some links later, need to run atm.

Saludos..

Juan

Nope. The company is http://www.zib-militaria.de

They 'age' the canvas to make them look more authentic. Might be kinda of a waste considering they would have to be dyed black. It does, however, seem like the black dye would take better though...

There is a custom leather shop a couple of miles down the road. I might give them a shout and see what they can do. I prefer the MP38/40 pouches vs the Spanish ones, and them being leather would even be more awesome.

Did I overlook the thread about someone here making the MP38/40 leather pouches?

If you do not mind me asking here. For the shoulder pouch would this be okay as is with the color?

Posted Image

That's not bad, however ideally the small pouch needs to be stitched with the centre of it mounted on the far front left corner of the left hand pouch. It's a bit far over as it is. And it would need dying still to get rid of the white stitching.

Nick

Stupid question on the color of the stitching specifically towards leather pouches.

Take for instance the rare leather German MP38/40 pouches. The stitching wasn't black like the leather. Looking at some originals, it may have been white or an off color. The Sandtrooper CRL doesn't specify the color of the stitching. The CRL of the HWT (pulled from Sandtroopers CRL) actually shows leather pouches with white stitching. The CRL for the HWT also does not specify color.

Again... this is geared towards leather pouches. Is this just common practice/an unwritten rule or are leather pouches the exception? The reason I ask is I'm researching around for a leather worker who is willing to make replicas that are truly accurate as possible to the originals. No luck so far, but I just started searching.

Well, actually the unwritten rule is that all your gear should look old, wore and dirty! We are Sandtroopers!!! So, any stitching, even if white should look dirty and old, not shinny and clean. Taking that in consideration, we dye our puches to make them look dirty, oily and old... so the stitching in both canvas or leather pouches looks darker. I think most original leather pouches I have seen have brown or black thread. Not one I remember with white thread. But it could be... just make them look dirty and old.

:)

Does that help?

Many of the "community standards" here are based on common practices and common acceptance. It doesn't mean they are a written rule, but more of a "that is expected" by most. You will find that as a very important difference from the FISD and its various CRLs. Anyway, you can just sick to the TD CRL and you would be fine. It is just that most of us TDs are a bunch of accuracy geeks and love to take everything a bit farder... and then farder. :) Thats the MEPD style!!

Hope you find that enjoyable and motivating so that soon you become a Sandtrooper too!!

:)

In the mean time, if we can be of any help at all, let us know. We are happy to help!

Saludos.

Juan

Thanks for the awesome reply Juan! I've gained even more respect for this community just from reading that :) That's not sarcasm. I'm actually being serious.

As sad as it sounds, I'm sticking with HWT for my 'first' build. If I wanted to switch to a Sandy at this point, I would have to get another backpack lol. I went with a game-style pack in which Quartermaster nailed perfectly! Notice I said first build :P

Thanks!

Patrick

• 1 month later...

i picked up the 2 pack of the ones your recommendig on ebay just yesterday for $29 + $2 shipping and it says more than 10 available hope yhat helps no black tho also i think spray paint is the way to go i find dye rubs off onto things paint soaks in well and doesnt rub off onto things