Costuming and Movie theaters.

DirtyBoy

Based on what just happened in Auroura Colorado where a gunman dressed as Bane from the Batman movie opened fire killing 15+/- people, should costuming be allowed in movie theaters?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12850048-14-shot-dead-at-dark-knight-rises-screening-in-aurora-colorado?lite

What do you think? Will one incident spoil it for everyone?

I think this one incident will spoil it for everyone. Theaters will have to prevent constumers from attending or at the very least prohibit weapons from being carried by costumers.

If they don't they are setting them selves up for lawsuits and really bad press if another incident happens. The media and the public will point to this incident and argue that you were on notice and needed to make changes.

As a lawyer I see how my profession has really effected the country and a lot of times in a very negative way.

It will just be easier for everyone from here on to just say no costumes or no guns, see what happened in Colorado? We just cant allow that.

Rather than saying that was one single isolated incident out of hundreds of thousands.

I think it will in most areas but not smaller towns and such. I know even after school shootings, not in mine but on the news, my old high school allowed guns in your truck during hunting season. Im sure it will impact the costuming community but for offical troops where we are requested, I dont think it would hurt that.

This is a very sad news.

I remember that in the documentary Heart of an Empire, Albin talks briefly about this kind of situation. And makes me realized this has always been a possibility, too bad it actually happened.

I think it will change in many way the world of costuming + movie premieres. But, lets face it, the world of costuming has been slowly changing during this last years. In many countries it is no longer legal to troop with weapons, we even had troopers arrested or charged, even if they only carried rubber replicas, hasbros or scratch built ones.

I can see lots of new regulations and security around movie premieres, specially this kind of cult movies or icons as Batman, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and of course Star Wars. But, what I dont see is fan being discouraged or defeated by this. I am sure we will find a way or another to keep enjoying our favorite movies dressed up as our favorite characters.

We will need to be more organized and plan ahead, be in contact with theater management and local law enforcing.

But I am sure even if different, this kind of events will keep happening!

My opinion.

Saludos.

To begin i think its just too crazy, that every one can buy guns like that lawful and shoot people whit them, sick!!! and wrong!!!

Back to the topic, i guess 501st events whit star wars suits and guns might be a future problem, after we see sick people like this.

It's very sad indeed...

I am very bothered that all it takes is one psycho to screw it up for everyone else. I've always thought about what if something like this would happen ways back or even at a con.

To be on topic, I think it could be negotiated about wearing the costumes for the upcoming 3D re-releases for Star Wars but I doubt we'd be able to use our weapons. Hopefully we don't get shafted completely for one moron's actions.

Ya I know....that would really suck if the actions of one would take away from so many. I've always feared the con aspect as well....there's no real security and a lot of "?able" people attending

just to chime in....imho....there in no need for a fully automatic hand gun...none....nor assalt guns to the public....as a formor navy man, i have see war..i have seen killing...i have used the guns and i find no reasion to have them now.......watch bowling for conlingbind? sorry for the spelling..again it brings up some very valid points....i need to say this...if you use a gun to kill...you should be killed as your punishment,,,not 10 years and reliced...

Many weapons we use at Cons or Events are usually marked with an orange top. Us and lots of Cosplay fans at events or premiers won't diminish in showing how die hard fans we are.

Costuming or no costuming it all comes to gun control. Stricter laws, gun check points even in theaters, who you sell them to, psychological evaluations prior to buying or carrying a gun should be it. No matter in what part of the globe your are, gun control should be applied.

Yes...our blaster are look a likes....and it sucks but I would rather have a family feel good at the movies then be afraid to go becouse there is a bunch of prople dressed up...on the other hand I think it adds to a star wars movie if you walk in and see a bunch of decked out TKs and TD...maybe the movies should hire us to go????

You know when I read this, I get sick! Some moron shoots a bunch of people, and the first thing the liberals here do is blame the guns! You know I am usually not this vocal, but this should have stayed on topic and not on blaming guns! And yes I can talk about it because, I was shot in the head in 94' so I know more than most of you what a gun can do to the human body! It is just discusting to me that it's not even been two days, and just as thought the easiest thing to do is blame the guns. The second amendment here is the US is a great part of our constitution, and just because I was shot by some idiot, I didn't blame the guns, for the incident.

I know that in my state of WV, the right to keep and bear arms has kept crime to such a minimum that a shooting only occurs, less than 2-3 a year!, and robberies are next to none, because the criminal knows grandma would probably shoot them. You know something else... If that would have happened here it would have been tragic as well, but quite a few in the theater would have shot back reducing the number of victims.

I am just very disturbed that some here have brought politics, into such a tragedy here in the US. I am just very disappointed because the MEPD brothers have always stayed out of politics, since so many countries are represented, and so many ideals are represented.

I am sorry to go on a rant, but very disappointed.

Oh, I have 6 AR 15s, and hunt with all of them.

Again, I apologize but I just don't like politics in the wrong place, like the MEPD.

I am sorry, I had to write that last post, but I was very hurt that so many were making comments about gun control, when this part should have remained out of the conversation. I may disagree with things that happen in other countries or states, but say nothing, because it would not be the place to do so.

I just wish I could have read this thread, and not been offended by my own MEPD brothers.

As for on topic. I truly believe that this will over time pass, and yes, security might be tighter, but I don't feel costumes will be banned here in the US. Remember, this guy went out the emergency exit, blocked it open, and snuck back in after changing. He didn't come in the front door with this costume on.

Sorry you feel that way Jay, really am... I too own a hand gun in my country. In here you get shot for a cel phone, gun pointed during church and even inside theaters. It's frustrating, but guns alone don't shoot people it's the other way around. Down here it's a lot of requisitions before buying a hand gun, people with licenses are not the problem, the problem is that it shouldn't be as easy as buying as purchasing a soda can to set an example.

To me that's the point as well as who's entitled to carry a handgun and if the person is psychological fit. Really it's no politics bro...

This goes beyond that... Hope so people don't satanize us for wearing costumes or gun replicas, that's my point :thumbsup:

Don't stress too much jay. I think what's being stated (at least what I got out of it) is that assault rifles and guns of that caliber should go through stricter screening processes. Guns are part of our culture and will always be. The problem falls on the psychology of some of the owners

Staying on target now...your right, he did come through the back so it may not be looked at or associated with costuming and for claiming he was the joker his costume didn't really coincide.

Cheers man

Sorry you feel that way Jay, really am... I too own a hand gun in my country. In here you get shot for a cel phone, gun pointed during church and even inside theaters. It's frustrating, but guns alone don't shoot people it's the other way around. Down here it's a lot of requisitions before buying a hand gun, people with licenses are not the problem, the problem is that it shouldn't be as easy as buying as purchasing a soda can to set an example.

To me that's the point as well as who's entitled to carry a handgun and if the person is psychological fit. Really it's no politics bro...

This goes beyond that... Hope so people don't satanize us for wearing costumes or gun replicas, that's my point :thumbsup:

Luis,

Thanks for the comments, and I am truly sorry for the rant. I was just really amazed when we brought up politics, and yes, here in the states, it is politics.

I mean, I agree, with you about licenses,and I am a gun dealer here in WV so I see all types here as well. I, as a dealer, have the right not to sell a gun to a person as well, if I think something could be strange.

My problem was strictly the politics being brought into the conversation, since the gun issue here in the states always becomes a big subject anytime this happens.

What if this guy would have walked in, back out, and brought a bomb in and killed 75? What would we talk about then? I know, hypothetical, but just an observation. I know, off topic and I apologize .

What if though? What we be banned from bringing into theaters, and venues then? This is why I don't think costumes will be an issue in the states, as long as the events are planned and they know who we are. Ok, sorry, I won't discuss anymore about this. Moving along! Moving along, I was out of line!!

Don't stress too much jay. I think what's being stated (at least what I got out of it) is that assault rifles and guns of that caliber should go through stricter screening processes. Guns are part of our culture and will always be. The problem falls on the psychology of some of the owners

Staying on target now...your right, he did come through the back so it may not be looked at or associated with costuming and for claiming he was the joker his costume didn't really coincide.

Cheers man

Very sorry boss! I just deal with this stuff all the time, so when I hear it here, I blowed a gasket. My apologies!

Totally understandable man and no need to appologize brother. One of my favorite things about the MEPD is we have real conversations and no one has to fear voicing their opinions like on other sites. We are all brothers and although don't always agree with each other we still sleep under the same roof every night knowing our brothers have our back.