Can 'o Worms

TD5422

I am curious…

I have only been in this hobby for a couple of years, but maybe someone can explain the need to do more than the canon stuff? I guess since I come from a re-enacting background, I don’t see the need to make “extra” stuff or make the current stuff better or more important. What’s wrong with doing a Tatooine trooper from “A New Hope”?

I am genuinely curious, Why do people feel the need to be “Sith Lord #7” from obscure book #3? Or carry a flamethrower or knives, wear stickers or Dog tags attached to armor?

As I said, I’m just curious, not trying to start anything

I think the main reason is so that people can easily stand out in a crowd of others who are costumed. It's all about being recognized as someone important, and it's a boost to someone's self-esteem.

This is about my Darth Narcolepsy costume isn't it?!?!? Well, I have definitive proof (in the form of an awful comic strip I drew) that he was undercover on tatooine posing as a sandtrooper, which entitles him to carry a lightsaber on his sandtrooper belt. He also had an antenna on his helmet, but you couldn't quite see it on screen.

I am curious…

I have only been in this hobby for a couple of years, but maybe someone can explain the need to do more than the canon stuff? I guess since I come from a re-enacting background, I don’t see the need to make “extra” stuff or make the current stuff better or more important. What’s wrong with doing a Tatooine trooper from “A New Hope”?

I am genuinely curious, Why do people feel the need to be “Sith Lord #7” from obscure book #3? Or carry a flamethrower or knives, wear stickers or Dog tags attached to armor?

As I said, I’m just curious, not trying to start anything

While I totally understand where you're coming from, I do like to have fun with it...some. So far, I've only introduced the officers hat. I'd like to see what leather spats over the shoes would look like (the Black Sheep Squadron has done this and it looked cool).

I guess it comes down_for me at least_taking the characters and expanding on the costume to a small degree, but nothing really over board. Technically, citing one example, any ammo pouch we utilize that's not screen accurate is an embellishment on the character's look and not 100% canon.

Being someone that had an obscure costume from a comic book I can safely say I it because I liked the looks of the costume. Part of whole problem I think is there is so many Star Wars things out there. Books, games, and cartoons. For example in Jedi Academy you can play a stormtrooper with a lightsaber. So if someone really wanted to push it they just might be able to get away with it. (but of course that wasn't directed at anyone who might have post on this thread LOL)

Katt

Id say the answer to that would be similar to the question:

Why dress up at all? Why not just wear regular clothes?

That and the fact that in a crowed of 100 Stormtroopers you just look like another stormtrooper. But if you're a stormtrooper with Vote for Pedro on your chest then you are a specfic trooper in a crowed.

Ohh, that pisses me off still to this day!!!

Can's open, worms are all over the place....

Bear in mind that this is coming from a guy who doesn't have armor yet so take it for what it's worth, but for myself & what I want to do with my armor is make it my own. Granted, there's only so far you go & so much you can do and still stay within the accepted bounds, but there's still wiggle room. For example, the guy in Japan who has the battle damaged sandtrooper armor. While not my thing and not something I'd do with my armor, it still looks very cool. Once you see it, you remember it. I got a good close look at the armor at C3. Very, very impressive. You could say to a fellow C3 attendee, for example, "Did you see that sandtrooper?" Chances are, they'd say "Ummm, which one? There's like a thousand." You counter with "The guy with the battle damage & holes in the armor and electronics underneath." If that person saw it, they'll more than likely remember it. While nothing like that suit was ever seen on screen, we as a fan group, still accept it as plausible within the GFFA. Looks like something that could've happened. The guy was just out of camera range or he was one of the casualties when the troopers opened fire on the Falcon in Docking Bay 94. Something like that. We want to be part of the group yet stand out in our own way. That's just my 2 credits though.

thanks for the input, as I said I was just curious. And it was more directed at some of the canon events I've been to where they let a lot of stuff go.

Also, I'm not immune to it myself, if anyone has seen Mike's clone shoulder, I'm going to be first in line for one

so maybe I just haven't got there yet, and only been to CIII in armor so Sandtrooper was ok for me, then

thanks for the input, as I said I was just curious. And it was more directed at some of the canon events I've been to where they let a lot of stuff go.

Also, I'm not immune to it myself, if anyone has seen Mike's clone shoulder, I'm going to be first in line for one

so maybe I just haven't got there yet, and only been to CIII in armor so Sandtrooper was ok for me, then

oh yesh, I think those shoulder bells will catch on like fire... everyone will be doing it to their Clones

Posted Image

That shoulder bell is really nice - Maryland's state flag is well suited for it too. Always liked that design since seeing it as a kid when we were stationed at Andrews AFB. I think out here in WA however, using George Washington's picture would look odd unless we modified him into a stormie too

If you think Washington State's flag is bad with "Barbara Bush's" face on it, consider Oregon's... it has a BEAVER on the back for gawd's sake! I ain't putting no FREAKIN' BEAVER on my shoulder bell.