iT2: New ANH helmet maker.

iconoclasta_88

I was invited to take part in a project to develop a new ANH helmet here in Mexico. My part would be very simple but I was excited about it. The goal would be to develop a new ANH helmet and try to make it as accurate as possible to have it available mainly in Mexico for local troopers.

So let me tell you a little about how this whole thing happened.

We have very few options to get armor locally made in Mexico. For the most of it, there are cough cough recasts cough cough of FX armor, and a few original sculpts that well, they are an option for those not too demanding.

There was one maker that had made some of the best armors and props available in Mexico: iTrooper. He has done some original sculpt helmets and pieces, some of the first available TK armors in Mexico, and several other props and accesories like pauldrons, ammo pouches and other stuff.

About a year ago, he contacted an sculptor and started working in a new TK/TD ANH helmet. He had as a reference an FX helmet, what seemed to be a RT-Mod bucket and lots of reference pictures of other ANH helmets and screen used helmets.

About a month ago or so, and after lots of work and corrections, the molds were ready to go into the table to form a prototype. The pieces came out "fine" but there was a problem with the material HIPS or something similar to it available in Mexico. So the owner of the vacuum table suggested to get new plastic, a first generation 100 points HIPS. It was great. Very resistant, flexible, 100% white and shiny.

New pieces were formed and they came out great.

So this is the part where I was invited, to assemble the first helmets in TD fashion.

I was given the kits already trimmed (which didn't make my job easier), but was not trimmed too bad. Just too little material going back from the face to the sides.

So, after an hour or so, and following Mike's excellent video tutorials, we came out with this (the iTrooper 2 or iT2):

Posted Image

There are a few things that of course this bucket doesn't have, and even though it is not 100& accurate, I think it is a very nice kit and a very very good option for troopers in Mexico willing to change their FX lids but cant afford one made abroad.

The things that could be improved are:

Tubes are too chubby I think.

Teeth could be deeper.

I think the eyes are a bit too separate and shallow.

The forehead is too low and could be a little bigger/taller.

The dome and forehead traps are a little small.

So, well... here are some pictures from different angles and a few two-shots comparing the TE2 and the iT2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let me know what do you think...

thx...

Saludos.

That's very exciting for our Mexico brothers!

I agree with your assessment of the bucket... but the overall is 100x better than an FX and will, as you said, hopefully give an alternative to all of you down south.

One other thing, I think the vocoder might be a bit too "wide" and not defined enough.

But over all, this is a really good fan sculpt.

Do you know the guy who sculpted it personally?

(just curious)

Very cool. B)

Always great to see another fan sculpt - care to cross post on FISD pleeze? :)

Hey bro...

Im sorry for what happened over the FISD. I didn't expect everyone to throw that stuff at me. I guess they doubts are reasonable, but there are ways to do and ask things aka not flaming at me.

Anyway... no hard feelings and I will try to clarify the facts as soon and as much as it is possible for me.

Saludos.

Sorry Juan - some of those guys can get a bit touchy. Please accept my apologies - I policed the offending threads.

No worries mate... I know its not your fault and Im have nothing against the FISD. So, no hard feelings. :D

I also recieved a PM from SuperTrooper explaining why those guys acted like that. So, no worries... I am proud to be a 501st trooper and also a user and member of the MEPD and the FISD...

Saludos.

Juan

If that's done from scratch, that was incredibly quick you got that near perfect result. I would be interested in seeing progress pictures of the sculpt.

I missed how long he said they'd worked on it...

But yeah, seeing pics of the sculpt process would be fun for sure!

I missed how long he said they'd worked on it...

But yeah, seeing pics of the sculpt process would be fun for sure!

Hey Nol, and everybody...

They guy that sculpted the helmet and molds work on them for a year (I was told).

Anyway, here are a few things I would like to ad to the info on this bucket:

I was invited to this project when the buckets were formed, just to assemble. Unfortunately this means I have not seen the molds or the sculpt. I did see some pictures of that on my friends iPhone.

The bucket was made by these ppl:

A professional artist who sculpted the molds.

The owner of the vacuum table and plastic professsional.

Me, who only assemble the kits.

My buddy who had the idea of doing it and brought everyone to do their part (kind of a movie producer)

There was a very quick but intense debate over the FISD on this being a recast of some other helmet, which no one could actually point out anyway. But this was stopped by Deatrin and went no further. (THX bro)

What I am still trying to do is to gather the pictures of the sculpt or mold from the maker, or the artist or whomever I can to clear if this was indeed a fan sculpt or a recast. (I believe it is an original but I can't prove it 100%)

So, either if it is just to share and have fun (my idea of this whole thing), or to prove wrong everyone who pointed their fingers at me, or to step back and apologize, I will try to bring proof of how this helmet was done.

At the very end of the day, I still think that since this is not a for sale thread or a legal claim over IP or something like that, I will keep on having fun with my armor and sharing over the different 501st forums with my fellow troopers, learning, laughing and enjoying this hobby I love and keep loving being a TD!

So, yes bro. I will try to bring some pictures of the making to share and have fun. :D

Saludos.

Juan

So, yes bro. I will try to bring some pictures of the making to share and have fun. :D

Yeah, that's all I meant... just fun to see pics. B)

There's so many pics of clones and Vader and stuff being sculpted, but not that many of TKs. So it'd be fun to see.

Also... I think we all knew your place in the "chain of events" and am just thankful for your willingness to share this with us!

I think FISD & MEPD should do what CTN does when a new armor maker comes online - that is to have the discussion and pix of the molds done in a 501st only area so that these things can be vetted off the open board.

The reason I shut down the thread on FISD is that it started getting personal. People have a right to know the origins of the kit we troop in. It's really to the creators advantage - if it's original they benefit from having a vetted pedigree that is unassailable (think TrooperMaster, RT, etc.). Else they'll be dogged forever by accusations from one board to the next. And if someone has recasted as a start and then moved on, again it's better to just state this up front esp. where TE derived armor is concerned. The truth comes out sooner or later anyway.

That said, if people do have *objective* points they'd like to raise then they should detail the merits of their point of view and present the evidence accordingly, rather than resorting to "burn the witch" rhetoric which doesn't help anyone.

Thx Nol,

And a big THX to you Daetrin...

I agree with the whole recasting discussion and all being in the best interest of the makers, but also of the collectors and fans. I rather know what I am buying and pay for it, than paying less but ending up with who knows what.

I guess there's market for anything anyway...

And yes, I think this might have a better response/development in the 501st only section. Lesson learned! ;)

So, if you agree, I will avoid all recasting issues in this thread (till I can confirm or deny it being an original sculpt), and keep it for what I meant it, having fun and sharing with the MEPD and 501st brotherhood...

I hold no hard feeling towards no one for sure. Just wish to clear this whole issue soon... and keep doing what I love the most about this club, sharing and enjoying my passion for Star Wats, costuming and Sandtroopers with great people!!!

Cheers to everyone!

Saludos hermanos...

Juan

I think FISD & MEPD should do what CTN does when a new armor maker comes online - that is to have the discussion and pix of the molds done in a 501st only area so that these things can be vetted off the open board.

Agreed. B)

Juan, you made your part in all this very clear. We are just a bunch who like fine things and want to know the history of fine things, as we know that some people have a reason to tarnish fine things for their own reasons, by recasting. I know it is sad to right off the bat when something cool is shown to suspect foul play, but when it comes to troopers and something that looks as accurate as this coming out of the blue and no progress shots, it is sometimes better to play it safe than sorry.

It's not meant as putting any blame on you, as you are helpful and trying to get the sculpting progress pictures shown. I for one likes to see progress pictures, as it is interesting to see how things started and progressed and took shape into something recognizable and clearly accurate looking. But, I'm also naturally a bit suspicious about new sculpts that are looking so accurate coming from unknowns, without progress shots, if you know what I mean, as we've been bombarded with recasts and false claims for so long.

This is not aimed at you in any way... and I don't want to add to diminishing your fun for the hobby... and it should be fun... and it would be fun if we didn't have to worry about people exploiting our fun for their own gains.

If this truly IS a 100% fansculpt... then that'd be so cool, as it will be another option... AND ultimately proof of awesome sculpting abilities.

Don't agree at all, but guess such a trend cannot be stopped.

I don't understand the need - by staff and members - to want to sweep these things under the carpet and treat them as if they don't exist.

How will staff be able to gather all the needed information and people who actually KNOW to make any sort of judgment concerning the origin of trooper armor? Sure this is a hobby, sure, it's supposed to be fun, but it seems that the trooper costuming community closes its eyes to the rest of the community and the effects your decisions has on the whole. You are part of the whole community, whether you see that or not - you are not just your own little niche. What you do and decide affects us all, so should no be hidden, left to staff or closed off sections. That only breeds even more distrust between the trooper costuming community and the community as a whole. I simply don't understand why you'd want to add to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Moderator modus off:

it´s always great to see the progress, so i´m also excited to see pictures.

im in a doublepositions as a moderator and a fan/collector/forum user so i will keep my privat opinion out here but

the thread over at the FISD board went really fast in the wrong direction so i just want to say this BEFORE it happens here too:

Moderator modus on:

PLEASE KEEP THIS TOPIC FRIENDLY!

;)

Moderator modus off:

it´s always great to see the progress, so i´m also excited to see pictures.

im in a doublepositions as a moderator and a fan/collector/forum user so i will keep my privat opinion out here but

the thread over at the FISD board went really fast in the wrong direction so i just want tWUsay this BEFORE it happens here too:

Moderator modus on:

PLEASE KEEP THIS TOPIC FRIENDLY!

;)

Hey RoCKo, how are you doing bro...

Just to try to keep this topic cool, friendly and yet interesting, I've been trying to get the sculpt and molds pictures but no luck yet. I'm am very interested in bringing th here to clarify the origin issue and also to better know and understand the origin and process of prop making.

I hope I can come with answers soon.

Saludos.