Who built the original movie backpacks?

tconcept

Interesting question. I'm thinking they were just the "guys" on the film. Whoever that was. I'm sure their names are listed in the credits at some point... but no, I don't know personally.

John Mollo was the costume designer on Star Wars, but he may have had a crew working with him to create the packs. He refers to "We took plastic seed boxes", plus it;s unlikely he would have built the packs alone before the shoot in Tunisia.

This is the only info I've ever found on the original creation of the packs from the Making of Star wars book.

"George announced that he was going to take some Stormtroopers on location, and he wanted them in Combat Order. I said “Oh yes George, what’s combat order for Stormtroopers?” and he said “Lots of stuff on the back”.

So I went into this Boy Scout shop in London and bought on of these metal backpack racks; then we took plastic seed boxes, stuck two of those together, and put four of those on the rack.

Then we put a plastic drainpipe on the top, with a laboratory pipe on the side and everything was sprayed black. [laughs] This was the most amazing kind of film!

George asked, “Can we get something that shows their rank?” So we took a motorcycle chest protector and put one of them on their shoulders. George said “That’s great!” We painted one orange and one black and that was it!’ Mollo concludes, happily.”

Very interesting question...

And although I have read that stuff before, I had never actually though on who made them.

Thx for the info Terry...

Man, how awesome would it have been to work on the SW costume and prop departments!

My dream job for sure... I just need to finish that time machine! **** it!

I will be attending a Sci-FI convention next May 1st in Mexico City where Lorne Peterson, modeler for all SW will be giving a conference. I doubt he was involved in making the Packs or any other prop, but if I have the chance, I will ask him about any thing he can remmeber regarding TDs in ANH...

Saludos

Good call Juan. Aside from Mollo's story in that book I've not really seen anything. Thank the stars they captured those interviews back in the day, I wonder how much of those details they'd remember 30+ years later.

That's why I love the original trilogy so much. Most of everything is built from scratch. It just seems more real than all the CGI in the prequels. :rolleyes:

Exactly! I was rather bummed that the clones were all CG, and that they weren't costumes. I didn't really see the point for that. Personally, I think it would have been really cool to see more "men in monster suits" type of approach that Stan Winston used to do (a hero of mine). Creatures like the Alien and Predator have so much more character.

Exactly! I was rather bummed that the clones were all CG, and that they weren't costumes. I didn't really see the point for that. Personally, I think it would have been really cool to see more "men in monster suits" type of approach that Stan Winston used to do (a hero of mine). Creatures like the Alien and Predator have so much more character.

I totally agree. I had heard a while back that some armor maker had a copy of the CG files so they were actually able to take measurements for their clone armor. Don't know if that was true or not.

What sucks about clone armor is the fact that it was CGI. The proportions are all wrong for a real life person. Thats why you have to do face off methods for buckets with a neckring, and the spoon inserts for the calves if you go seamless. You can even see the armor phase into itself when the clones kneel or run around. But it does look nice and symetrical, something i had to get over while building my TD.

John Mollo was the costume designer on Star Wars, but he may have had a crew working with him to create the packs. He refers to "We took plastic seed boxes", plus it;s unlikely he would have built the packs alone before the shoot in Tunisia.

This is the only info I've ever found on the original creation of the packs from the Making of Star wars book.

"George announced that he was going to take some Stormtroopers on location, and he wanted them in Combat Order. I said “Oh yes George, what’s combat order for Stormtroopers?” and he said “Lots of stuff on the back”.

So I went into this Boy Scout shop in London and bought on of these metal backpack racks; then we took plastic seed boxes, stuck two of those together, and put four of those on the rack.

Then we put a plastic drainpipe on the top, with a laboratory pipe on the side and everything was sprayed black. [laughs] This was the most amazing kind of film!

George asked, “Can we get something that shows their rank?” So we took a motorcycle chest protector and put one of them on their shoulders. George said “That’s great!” We painted one orange and one black and that was it!’ Mollo concludes, happily.”

Copy that.

I have the book too, and i don´t know more then that about it sadly.

I guess the LFL art dept, put them together.

But i´m afraid they toss them out after the takes, back then.

But i really hope not, and just collection dust somewhere in a basement.

I´m not sure about the pauldrons.

They don´t looked painted to me.

So i guess they just used the Thorsten Hallman vintage chest projector as ref, for there pauldrons, and the LFL art dept made them.

Just like i guess, they also made the wien stolla a like leather pouches.

Peace out :P