Building a TE2 TD armor.

iconoclasta_88

Your version is better/more accurate.

Only one thing is better on the old version i think, and thats the belt system.

It works so much better whit the belt system vs. to add the legs to belly part.

Good luck whit the build bro :)

Thx a lot for your comment bro!

I will definitely consider this to upgrade my diagram and strapping system. :D

Saludos!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't use velcro for holding the armour pieces together myself. Snaps are much stronger, especially if you use the large 15mm camping type. Velcro is fine for the belt and the backs of the shins but that's about it IMO.

The diagram Rolf posted is what Geri drew of the armour he wore for LFL. It was either ROTJ or a tour suit, definately not how the ANH's were strapped.

I wouldn't use velcro for holding the armour pieces together myself. Snaps are much stronger, especially if you use the large 15mm camping type. Velcro is fine for the belt and the backs of the shins but that's about it IMO.

The diagram Rolf posted is what Geri drew of the armour he wore for LFL. It was either ROTJ or a tour suit, definately not how the ANH's were strapped.

THX man...

Actually, I made my diagram based mostly in the picture (photograph) you posted with some variants, and took the sketch approach of Geri's drawing. Also used picts from Mike's armor as reference... took what I though was the best of all systems and also changed most snaps for velcro.

This because I haven't been able to find the snaps yet, and because I don't know how to use snaps. I was planning to use Industrial Strength Velcro. Do you think it wont be up to the job?

As Rolf suggested, I have reconsidered and will go for the belt to fix the thigh pieces.

Do you think with this improvements, my diagram would be closer to what they might have used in ANH?

I am still thinking of the whole thing...

I have worked on a new diagram for the strapping system... taking in considerations your comments and suggestions, including now more snaps instead of velcro, and keeping velcro just for the places I felt was needed. Also included the belt and thigh system instead of fixing the legs to the ab plate.

And finally, since yesterday I had an early test fit, I realize that it was not the best idea to have the back plate permanently fixed to the kidney plate, so I also included some snaps there...

This is how I think it should be done...

Posted Image

What do you think??

And these are some pictures of the test fit... very early still... Haven't glued anything yet. Just wanted to see if it was the correct size an way to put the armor together...

I am extremely happy with how it fits. So far it feels like if the armor was designed and shaped to fit my body and height... I was hoping I was not too short for the armor....

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do you think??

THX for all your help and comments.

Saludos...

Posted Image

Looking tip top bro ;)

Only one thing, you might can use.

I´m not sure its screen accurate or not.

But... i have both straps front and back of my legs, to hold them up.

It works freaking great, and your legs don´t jump around when you troop.

I can even run slow in mine, whit no problems.

Fire... fire... fire... :laser::jawa:

Posted Image

That's such a great idea, Rolf! I'm surprised no one has thought of that before (read: why didn't I think of that!).

Iconoclasta, your TE2 build seems to be coming along nicely! As TM said, I'd try to stay away from the velcro (except for the belt and back of the shins). I used industrial strength velcro and hot glue on my first armor build (I hadn't found much info on armor builds at the time), and both the hot glue and velcro failed during a troop here in Texas in the middle of summer...

Looking tip top bro ;)

THX a lot!!

Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if it is not too difficult to have the four straps cut and placed in the correct length? I will definitely check this variant when I come to this step! Thanks for the suggestion!!

That's such a great idea, Rolf! I'm surprised no one has thought of that before (read: why didn't I think of that!).

Iconoclasta, your TE2 build seems to be coming along nicely! As TM said, I'd try to stay away from the velcro (except for the belt and back of the shins). I used industrial strength velcro and hot glue on my first armor build (I hadn't found much info on armor builds at the time), and both the hot glue and velcro failed during a troop here in Texas in the middle of summer...

THX a lot bro...

I have considered TM's advice and will not use velcro as I thought before, other than in specific places:

-Belt

-1 extra elastic to better fit the chest plate to the ab plate

-1 fitting strap to join the back and ab plates (considering that this will be set in place mainly by the belt)

-Back of the shins

Everything else will either be glued with E6000, sewed or fixed with Snap buttons.

What do you think?

Saludos!

I was working with my armor last night and realized that the diagram is not completely correct in terms of how will it look on the outside.

The mistake is that I have placed the closing strap of the back and abplate fixed on the kidney plate. This is wrong cause then I would not be able to correctly placed the Rivet on the ab plate...

Here is the reference:

Posted Image

So, I will work on my diagram and post it later today or during the weekend.

One question I do have about the rivet is, what's the diameter of the rivet that will be exposed on the abplate?

Thx for all your help.

Saludos

Here it is... I have finished the new version of my strapping system diagram. This has the correct location of the rivets on the ab plate that should be showing according to TK and TD ANH references... I also included Rolf's idea for the thigh system, and completed it with the shins and some notes.

What do you think?

Unless anyone can see a mistake or have a better idea or suggestion, I guess this is how I will be putting together my armor.

Posted Image

Any comments?

Thx for your help.

Saludos.

Posted Image

That's not a rivet you are seeing, it's the back of a male snap. The side closing strap is a strip of elastic glued to the inside of the kidney plate that has a female snap on the end which snaps to the male snap inside the abdomen.

On your diagram, use three seperate elastic straps at the side like they did in the movies if you are going for accuracy, and have the cod strap fixed under your groin and have two male snaps on your butt plate. These are fixed directly through the plastic just like on the abdomen with the snap facing inside. Only two snaps for holding the belt to the abdomen, one on each end only :)

I never tried two straps per thigh before, though I have seen it on some troops. Try three inch wide elastic for the straps, that's screen acurate ;)

That's not a rivet you are seeing, it's the back of a male snap. The side closing strap is a strip of elastic glued to the inside of the kidney plate that has a female snap on the end which snaps to the male snap inside the abdomen.

On your diagram, use three seperate elastic straps at the side like they did in the movies if you are going for accuracy, and have the cod strap fixed under your groin and have two male snaps on your butt plate. These are fixed directly through the plastic just like on the abdomen with the snap facing inside. Only two snaps for holding the belt to the abdomen, one on each end only :)

I never tried two straps per thigh before, though I have seen it on some troops. Try three inch wide elastic for the straps, that's screen acurate ;)

Ok... THX... I think I understood everything...

So, corrections to be made:

-Three horizontal straps instead of the one vertical strap. Are this riveted or snapped??

-One strapp fixed to the kidney plate and a snap through the plastic on the ab plate to lock it.

-Two snaps for the belt instead of 3

-Cod strapp fixed to groin and 2 snaps through plastic on butt plate. Will there be 2 or just 1 snap on the strap??

I will be using the 3 inch elastic... already bought it!

THX a lot for all your help bro!

Hehe!

Im really happy I did all these drawings. Otherwise it would have been messing it up at the armor...

Saludos!

If you want to be able to strip your armour down then I would suggest using snaps for the sides. You can always rivet the snaps in place so the straps look to be riveted from the outside, there's a thread somewhere showing how to do this, otherwise go for rivets for permanent fixture.

Always best to as many questions as you feel you need to before making any mistakes. You will always get plenty of help here my friend :D

If you want to be able to strip your armour down then I would suggest using snaps for the sides. You can always rivet the snaps in place so the straps look to be riveted from the outside, there's a thread somewhere showing how to do this, otherwise go for rivets for permanent fixture.

Always best to as many questions as you feel you need to before making any mistakes. You will always get plenty of help here my friend :D

HEHE... THX!

I think I want it to be as close as screen as I can do it (considering my abilities, tools and budget), so, if the correct way to do it is using rivets, thats how I will do it. I still need to find the snap buttons, so until I have them on my hand, I will decide for goo how to do it.

Anyway, one more question... :D

Doesn't the use of snaps and all the buttoning-up/off damages the plastic...

This is a big concern for me...

Thx Bro.. for all your info, knowledge and for sharing it!

SAludos.

After several attempts I have come up with what I think is the final approach to strapping that I will be using. This is based on what we know about ANH strapping, but with some modifications to make it easier to wear and to make... I have followed others approach and also all the advice here...

I want my armor to look as close as possible to the screen, but with a relatively easy to use/install system...

This is it:

Posted Image

And I have started working on my armor. This is how it is coming out:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think its coming out cool. I like it and specially like the details of the snaps and rivets on the outside of the armor... I like it a lot.

What do you think??

Might be...

I didn't have much option for the snap buttons. I looked for them in different places for a couple of weeks and couldn't find others but these. And even at the place where I bought them, the lady on the counter was reluctant to sell them cause I was not paying for the "installing" on clothes, but just wanted the actual buttons. Weird I know. But... Hope the make the trick anyway...

THX for your comment bro.

Saludos...

Ohh...

Or maybe you mean the 3 plastic buttons on the abplate??? They do look a bit big but They are the same size as the ones used to cover the rivets on the belt. I can correct this as I have found a liquid that "melts" E6000 in a second and does no harm at all to the plastic.

Does everyone agrees on me having to make smaller buttons?

Does everyone agrees on me having to make smaller buttons?

Yes, my first reaction was similar to Little Red Riding Hood "My, what large buttons you have!"

Just a little smaller would do the trick :duim:

So, what's this magic E6000 dissolving liquid that you've found, hmm?

Charlie

Yes, my first reaction was similar to Little Red Riding Hood "My, what large buttons you have!"

Just a little smaller would do the trick :duim:

So, what's this magic E6000 dissolving liquid that you've found, hmm?

Charlie

HEHE... I will work on the buttons later this week. THX!!

And about the magic liquid... well... its called Glyco (local brand I guess). It is described as a rubber solvent for artists and its pretty common for designers and plastic artists. I discovered it dissolves E6000 by accident. It works quiet well... The only thing left after pouring and a little rubbing off, is the marks left on the plastic by the E6000 itself.

Here is a link to a popular design and art store in mexico...

http://www.lumen.com.mx/catalog/detalle.ph...mp;MARCA=Rodin#

It shouldnt be difficult to find a similar product anywhere in the world.

Saludos.