Jump to content
Hausi

Sheartech rubber Bapty

Recommended Posts

So after building a heavy metal (almost) all real parts Bapty and my special "Move Along"/SWAT Bapty based on a Doopy kit, it was time for something new, the all metal blaster is slightly too heavy for trooping while the Doopy kit on the other hand is a little too fragile and I wanted something that could also be handed to kids - no worries. 

So I went for Mark´s rubber bapty and ordered it unpainted as I planned to paint it myself. What I like about it: great details and very sturdy, communicating with Mark was great too, he´s a nice guy - always kept me updated about the progress and sent some pics - and he was even so kind to add some goodies, stickers, a pin and a patch, thanks for that!:)

What I didn´t like so much: the grip was very rough, looked as if it was ground down with a file and the mag with the wood inside didn´t look right as the mag´s walls are way too thick. 

Here it is as it arrived:

fahy63qu.jpg

meb3bao7.jpg

8zhp4q22.jpg

nhpdkrm8.jpg

pcj22asx.jpg

So I decided to rework most of this baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I sanded the grip smooth:

ij7uqrxy.jpg

3vnpms7u.jpg

then I sawed off the rubber mag and dremeled out the mag slot to fit a real cut off sterling mag with a wooden insert.

ccxjfrfv.jpg

5ineltfw.jpg

I also tried to enhance the casting line along the sides of the back end which was originally cast of aluminium:

2gde676o.jpg

The rubber Hengstler counter has some nice and sharp details too but the plugs aren´t there, so I just fitted some plugs that match the original´s:

5g3oifsx.jpg

and after painting it looked like this:

wbdrdim5.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also took the blaster apart to rework the shape and position where the trigger guard attaches and repainted the whole thing. Mark told me that painting his rubber blaster doesn´t work very well but as I´ve had good results with painting rubber props before, I gave it a try. I thoroughly cleaned it and gave it a first coat with some special primer intended for plastics. 

I then painted the scope with plastikoat brass

jbhtq9p9.jpg

and the Hengstler with some grey primer for the back end and plastikoat brass for the front.

For the blaster I´ve used some acrylic spraypaints: gunmetal first, a very fine coat (a mere dusting) with chocolate brown to emulate rust, then I applied Revell color stop to all parts using a brush, to emulate paint chips. 

I then painted them with acrylic black spray paint in a satin finish. I used a white wax crayon for the lettering on the scope (the scope was the only part that received a  satin clear coat).

After rubbing off the color stop, I gave it some washes with watered down acrylic black and earth.

and here come some pics of the finished blaster in different lighting conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cnd7lem3.jpg

zabam7qw.jpg

i8nasw7s.jpg

syp72b3b.jpg

rpsapohh.jpg

zc4w92dr.jpg

ajhey5ik.jpg

sfo9onez.jpg

8isc2pyt.jpg

5g54ry8e.jpg

ipwkshlu.jpg

sapecr6b.jpg

7bfake7s.jpg

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only echo! Way better! A lot more natural wear and tear... 

Well done!   :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a thing of beauty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...